Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 AM

17 posts, read 119,742 times

Advertisements

You might want to check out the oft-neglected area of Northwest Indiana. I live here and I drive in to Chicago every week to take classes at Northwestern's Loop campus. It takes me one hour from my driveway to the parking garage in Chicago. That's less driving time than many Chicago suburb commuters. Plus we also have access to the south shore train line which goes into Chicago. I have a friend in Glencoe, Illinois and my $450k house here in NW Indiana is just as nice as the $1.5 million house up in the Northern suburbs of Chicago. The schools in Valparaiso and Chesterton are excellent, taxes are low and there is very little "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude. Plus, we're just minutes from Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Really - this is one of the best kept secrets of the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Who says the west suburbs suck? Pfft, like they know. The west suburbs are the best. Spare 3 cities (Aurora, Elgin and Carpentersville) the crime rates are low and taxes are less. Albeit theyre horribly high compared to most of the nation, but theyre lower than Cook County (Chicago). Schools are top rated in the nation and people are for the most part very friendly. WAY more so than Chicagoans or snobby north shore folks. Jobs in the western burbs are booming and the economy is great. Id really think youd enjoy Naperville area. Homes are pricey, but the downtown is great as are the schools and super low crime rates. Its no wonder Naperville has been voted into CNN/Money Magazine's top 10 cities to live for the last 2 years. Do a little research on DuPage County and Naperville and I think youll see where Im coming from.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 AM

65 posts, read 294,935 times
There are many excellent areas to live in Chicagoland. Your first task will be to find an acceptable home as close to work as possible. Also consider the possibility of using the rail to get to work, if possible.
You will hate Chicagoland if you are addicted to warm weather.
The air is fine.
The people in Illinois are as nice to you as you are to them.
Real estate is a fraction of Southern California home prices.
I know a few people that moved here from San Bernadino and Fullerton. They can't wait to go back.
I would rent a place for a year to make sure you like it here.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM

111 posts, read 275,477 times
i feel bad for anyone who lives in san bernadino(this city, as well as the county are contiuously on cops and over run by mexo's) and fullerton..well ive never been to fullerton down in orange county but i will tell you this...
the one kid i met from fullerton back in my frosh days at UCSC was from fullerton. When he envited me to his dorm to drink some beer and watch Cal beat the crap outta stanford. When i went into his dorm there was a mound of cocaine that looked like a mini mountain. I even watched this kid smoke ritalin out of a light bulb. yea a light bulb. needless to say he was on probation for selling cocaine and he failed his drug test and had to go to jail. His total time spent at UCSC: 4 weeks and 1 day. That is the only person ive ever met from fullerton.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 24,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who says the west suburbs suck? Pfft, like they know. The west suburbs are the best. Spare 3 cities (Aurora, Elgin and Carpentersville) the crime rates are low and taxes are less. Albeit theyre horribly high compared to most of the nation, but theyre lower than Cook County (Chicago). Schools are top rated in the nation and people are for the most part very friendly. WAY more so than Chicagoans or snobby north shore folks. Jobs in the western burbs are booming and the economy is great. Id really think youd enjoy Naperville area. Homes are pricey, but the downtown is great as are the schools and super low crime rates. Its no wonder Naperville has been voted into CNN/Money Magazine's top 10 cities to live for the last 2 years. Do a little research on DuPage County and Naperville and I think youll see where Im coming from.
EXACTLY! Naperville is great! "suck"??? I don't think so!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 19,852 times
Red face Currently living in Springfield Illinois...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysforme View Post
We are relocating from Southern California to a whole new way of living. We want the best for our family good neighborhoods, schools (elementry, middle, and high school). What do we look forward too? Are going to fall in love with the state? How are the people are they friendly is the air quality better. Just need information on best places to live. Thank you
Moved to Springfield, IL to be with my husband, had a child and trying to adjust to the slow pace lifestyle but its not working. Our house is great, alot of backyard space but still not comfortable...Dislike my job, miss my family and friends, dying to move to the city but with a young child and on a limited budget, which suburbs would be ideal for us?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 39,710 times
i say just live in the city. our public transit isnt as bad as most people think (its still cheaper than buying gas :-/) and our schools are pretty good. public schools, like lane tech, whitney young, and northside prep are selective enrollment, free and some of the top in the country. i'm a lane tech graduate by the way honestly, i cant live in the suburbs, they freak me out.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 39,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ2 View Post
EXACTLY! Naperville is great! "suck"??? I don't think so!
haha me and my friends used to freak out when kids from naperville came to our beach and filled it up (ahh the fights we got into) so, i still harbor some hatred for you guys. no offense.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 AM

9 posts, read 78,326 times
You can read my description of OAK PARK in the post inquiring about Hyde Park vs. Oak Park. I would highly recommend Oak Park as a lovely place to live.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 77,911 times
The North suburbs are terrific. From Evanston to Lake Bluff along the shore of Lake Michigan are terrific little towns, some of the richest real estate in the world. If you go just a little west of these towns you'll find more affordable housing with fine schools.
The western suburbs of Naperville, Hinsdale, St Charles, Geneva and other nearby towns can rival the North Shore in housing stock and schools.
One factor to consider is that the north suburbs put you closer to Wisconsin and it's many entertainment and recreational opportunities.
I think the people here are very hospitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs