Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Yes, the word “world” was covered in my first response also. You will notice that it is being used collectively also, just like “all” is in your examples.
And your point?

There are two conclusions that can be drawn...
First, the bible was written to and for another time, and only applied to that time.

Second, the bible was written to and for all times and can be applied to all times.

I don't see how you can have it both ways.

What then do you think of Revelation? Is there a worldwide Armageddon or just a local one? What about the flood was that worldwide or just a local flood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
BJU is Bob Jones University, where Bob Jones Sr., Jr, and III have said that Catholics are "not another Christian denomination. It is a satanic counterfeit, an ecclesiastic tyranny over the souls of men....It is the old harlot of the book of the Revelation—'the Mother of Harlots."

Also the school that banned inter-racial dating and admitted/apologized for having policies of institutionalized racism.
Yes my friend learned many things not pertinent to a college education for a PE teacher..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
My guess is Bob Jones University. I had a friend who graduated from there and I used their homeschool material for years...

But I don't know, I was just guessing.
Okay, thanks for cleaing that up! Yeah, that's kind of a scary place from what I know about it, so I guess a speaker like that would be what you'd expect.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
BJU is Bob Jones University, where Bob Jones Sr., Jr, and III have said that Catholics are "not another Christian denomination. It is a satanic counterfeit, an ecclesiastic tyranny over the souls of men....It is the old harlot of the book of the Revelation—'the Mother of Harlots."

Also the school that banned inter-racial dating and admitted/apologized for having policies of institutionalized racism.

Like I just said, a scary place

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Regarding the speaker, I'm glad to hear people speaking the truth! People need to be warned!
Just don't warn the parents of someone who just left the earth after suffering through cancer that they will share the same fate as their poor not-suffering-from-cancer-anymore-but-burning-in-hell child.

So it is appropriate at a Baccalaureate but not a funeral?

If people need to be warned... well then you should give up all your money to fund a program to warn others about it! Why is it that hell-preachers make more money than they spend to spread this hell doctrine?

And why is it that hell-preachers preach hell to Christians in church when the hell-bound aren't even there? AND if the hell-bound are there they are turned away because they are "bad seeds" so to speak.

I find it all so tiresome! Warn people about the GOOD NEWS!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Lets look at 1 Timothy 4: 2 – 6. Your focus word in these verses is the word “all” which Universalists incorrectly understand primarily because they overlook context and grammatical usage. The word “all” here is being used collectively, meaning some of all types. Lets look at some examples of this for proper reference.

..." the whole world has gone after him" Did all the world go after Christ?
"then went all Judea, and were baptized of him in Jordan." Was all Judea, or all Jerusalem, baptized in Jordan?

"Ye are of God, little children", and the whole world lieth in the wicked one". Does the whole world there mean everybody?

The words "world" and "all" are used in some seven or eight senses in Scripture, and it is very rarely the "all" means all persons, taken individually. The words are generally used to signify that Christ has redeemed some of all sorts —some Jews, some Gentiles, some rich, some poor, and has not restricted His redemption to either Jew or Gentile.

What I find interesting in you tactic to support you flawed interpretation of
Scripture is how you threw in the spin of the checking the meaning of the word “ransom” which effectively drew the discussion away from the context and usage of the word “all”. This is a good indication that you know that your argument for the word “all” won’t stand up under serious
scrutiny.

The reason that you have a flawed understanding of Hell – eternal torment, is because you practice eisegesis rather than the correct method of study, exegesis.

The gentleman gave you great advise when he suggested, “you need to get back to it.”
What does this verse mean to you?

Romans 5:18. Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Judgment (death) came upon ALL men. Free gift upon ALL men.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

Romans 5:18. Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Sounds like women are SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Eternal Torment preached at Baccalaureate
Ya know, I think the UR people are going off the deep end. Maybe you shouda sent your kid to a secular school.

Then you would not have an issue.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Just don't warn the parents of someone who just left the earth after suffering through cancer that they will share the same fate as their poor not-suffering-from-cancer-anymore-but-burning-in-hell child.

So it is appropriate at a Baccalaureate but not a funeral?

If people need to be warned... well then you should give up all your money to fund a program to warn others about it! Why is it that hell-preachers make more money than they spend to spread this hell doctrine?

And why is it that hell-preachers preach hell to Christians in church when the hell-bound aren't even there? AND if the hell-bound are there they are turned away because they are "bad seeds" so to speak.

I find it all so tiresome! Warn people about the GOOD NEWS!
I'm not even going to comment about your first question. It's called TACT. If you don't understand the difference, well, I don't know what to say to you.

Regarding money, it's really not up to you to decide where people should be spending it.

I don't know what churches you've attended, but the churches I've attended over the years, there were many unbelievers that came each week and they weren't turned away for being "bad seeds" so I don't know where you got that idea from.

The good news is that Jesus Christ died so that we may have life with Him in heaven. You don't understand this is good news because you've put God in a box. If He doesn't save all than that's not good news to universalists. Your FALSE good news is straight from Satan. Oh wait, but you don't believe in him. Why can't you see that is exactly what he wants? When people die in their sins and go to hell because they heard from universalists that all are saved, their blood in on your hands. Don't you understand the seriousness of this?!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Way to go Eusebius! I am astonished that a person was allowed to teach doctrine of any kind at such an event. Sheesh! Satan sure has a foothold in the average American Psyche concerning the nature of God and His plan.

If I do have to die for my faith, it won't surprise me if it is because I refuse to accept and profess the ET doctrine. I could see that happening in America as things worsen. People begin to do desperate and violent things whenever the concentration of fear and suffering increases, most especially the very religious type of person.

Heartsong

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

Well it isn’t a question of “what does this verse means to me”. That leads to personal interpretation which is a sure path to error. The verse means what it says.

Again, from my first post in this discussion:
Quote:
The words "world" and "all" are used in some seven or eight senses in Scripture, and it is very rarely the "all" means all persons, taken individually. The words are generally used to signify that Christ has redeemed some of all sorts —some Jews, some Gentiles, some rich, some poor, and has not restricted His redemption to either Jew or Gentile.
You found one of those rare examples I refer to where the word "all" is used individually. In this case sin came upon all mankind through Adam and all mankind can choose to accept the free gift. It does not say that all people will receive the gift of Salvation through Christ Jesus. The choice is ours these are known as the doctrines of original sin and free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity