Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What would happen if we just "forgot" about the evil that others do to us?

Blessings,
brian
You are certainly free to make that choice for yourself, but you have no right whatsoever to tell victims of crimes that they should just "forget." Whether they choose to forget is for them to decide, and them only.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
You are certainly free to make that choice for yourself, but you have no right whatsoever to tell victims of crimes that they should just "forget." Whether they choose to forget is for them to decide, and them only.
They can also choose to be victimized by their memory for the rest of their lives too.... but forgiveness is what Christ asked for. Forgetting is just the healing that takes place over time. Many victims turn into conquerors when they choose to heal themselves through forgiveness.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
They can also choose to be victimized by their memory for the rest of their lives too.... but forgiveness is what Christ asked for. Forgetting is just the healing that takes place over time. Many victims turn into conquerors when they choose to heal themselves through forgiveness.
You should forgive, but that doesn't mean that people will ever forget. We aren't required to forget experiences, but we shouldn't be slaves to them either.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
You ET'ers, so 4/5th of mankind is doomed forever?

How can God, who is perfect, come up with such a screwed up plan even taking free will into consideration?

If your premise is correct, then God really isn't perfect thus God really isn't God but some flawed yet powerful creature.

hmmm...I wonder what this means?....

Isaiah 11:6..The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them.

heres a hint......trust in God the way a small child trusts in his/her parents..by believing in ET, you are doing anything BUT. You cling to traditions of men instead of His love.
"Unless you become like little children..."

Amen Zero 7!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You should forgive, but that doesn't mean that people will ever forget. We aren't required to forget experiences, but we shouldn't be slaves to them either.
WE aren't required to do anything... free will right?

How do you explain things that people do that are NOT good for them? Drugs, remembering crimes against them...

I agree with you that you aren't required to forget but it IS in a person's best interest to forget the pain... otherwise they are perpetual victims.

AND if God requires forgiveness ... LOVE REMEMBERS NO Wrongs... so ... how is it that God remembers wrongs and doesn't forgive some people?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
WE aren't required to do anything... free will right?

How do you explain things that people do that are NOT good for them? Drugs, remembering crimes against them...

I agree with you that you aren't required to forget but it IS in a person's best interest to forget the pain... otherwise they are perpetual victims.

AND if God requires forgiveness ... LOVE REMEMBERS NO Wrongs... so ... how is it that God remembers wrongs and doesn't forgive some people?
This sounds a lot more like the language of pop psychology than the language of theological discussion. In my view, it also shows no respect for the diversity and complexity of human experience. It's a tone-deaf platitude that could have come from Dr. Phil.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Think about those....how can a disembodied soul be ....perfect?

Here is some more:

Matt 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Alms before men?

I don't see an alms before souls here....

The OP believes that there will be reconciliation to all souls, yet I see nowhere in the Bible that this is truth...no where.
God has already reconciled men to Him, and that is through CHrist, and the gospel is strict, one must believe in Christ, in this life, to be resurrected with Him for ever....that's it. Once you are dead, it's finished.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Are you saying that you believe we must first love God before he will love us?
Can you love Christ, without believing in Him?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This sounds a lot more like the language of pop psychology than the language of theological discussion. In my view, it also shows no respect for the diversity and complexity of human experience. It's a tone-deaf platitude that could have come from Dr. Phil.
Love it !! Yet, how truthful !! Dr. Phil and those like him have become the god of the new ages !!

Yes, when God grace gives us the heart to forgive we are healed from the attack, abuse, so forth, and the sting of that wrong is gone.... and we are able to become overcomers, yet, sometimes we do not forget, but we do not park and dwell there no longer.... big difference !!

Amen

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Oh my goodness! What about 1 John 4:19? "We love Him because He first loved us." I'm a little shocked that you honestly think that God only loves those who love Him back. God IS love, so you said in your post, in essence, "Love loves those who love Him back." Doesn't make much sense to me.
Who does He love?

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

The Law:

Deut 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Fulfilled Law:

Matt 5:17 I think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Psal 100:1-6 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he [is] God: [it is] he [that] hath made us, and not we ourselves; [we are] his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, [and] into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, [and] bless his name For the LORD [is] good; his mercy [is] everlasting; and his truth [endureth] to all generations.

Now watch here:

Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.

1 Cor 8:3 if any man love God, the same is known of God.

If any man love God, and is thereby influenced to love his neighbor, the same is known of God in loving him.

1 John 4:19 speaks directly to Christians, so the fact that its audience is not, is not the message and premise, but the fact is that the message is to Christians, about Christians and the love that God shows to those who believe in Him. It really ails me when I see the message ripped from its context to support the Universal Salvation lie.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

1 John 5:2-5 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

I can stop here.....as it seems pretty clear that God's love is directed yes to the world, but is not MADE MANIFEST in US until we believe in Christ.
That is the source of His love, through Christ, and through Christ, we are loved.

Quote:
OK. He does as He pleases. What pleases Him? The bible says He wants everyone to be saved, so it's pretty elementary to figure out that would please Him.
Why are you still doing this? Infusing 1 Tim 2:4 into the mix?
When are you people going to get that THELO - Desire/wants/will has nothing to do with something that God is going to decree? NOTHING.
Classic eisegesis.

Quote:
There is a HUGE difference between God allowing or even causing physical death, and sending someone to hell FOREVER with no chance of escape. This keeps coming up, and I just don't understand the correlation.
God killed everyone on earth except for Noah, God had many people killed throught the OT times. God will send people to hell for rejecting His Son.

It is His nature for not following His precepts. He said so Himself.

The Lost is the Lost Sheep, the Lost House of Israel. And through the revelation of epistles to that lost House, comprises of Jew and Gentile in Covenant with God, to receive the blessings of God's love through Christ. You cannot be an Israelite and not love Christ.

Christ died for the Israelite. The whole purpose of the gospel, is to bring people into the fold.

Matt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Eze 37:23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God. And David my servant [shall be] king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

Rev 21:1-2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God.

The themes never change. Israel is the chosen, and to believe in Christ, makes you an Israelite.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 07-02-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity