Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,450,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
God IS love. I expose you right here, in this post, that you don't accept that God IS love, and you don't believe that we love Him because He first loved us.
Who is US? Believers.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God

Stay in context.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 07-06-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM

1 Corinthians 15.35: But someone will ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?"

Paul uses his "seed analogy", the question is directly answered: "So is it with the resurrection of the dead". Then he goes on to give a straightforward answer: "So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit."

It is quite obvious here with the conclusion of verse 44 and 45 that "body" is in answer to "with what kind of body do they come?" Therefore, the "it" in verses 43-44 stands for "body." With this we can translate it this way: "So is it with the resurrection of the dead. The body sown is perishable; the body raised is imperishable. 43 the body is sown in dishonor; the body is raised in glory. the body is sown in weakness; the body is raised in power. 44 the body is sown a natural body; the body is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit."

The NIV even translates it this way on some parts, historically and in our times, reveals what has been called the "continuity of the body."
That is, THE BODY that is sown is the SAME BODY that is raised.
This is testament that one must confess in this body and sinful nature that was inherrant from Adam, is put it to death, and is raised in their spritual body, a victory only manifested, for those IN CHRIST.

Let me make this clearer.
If a brand new spiritual body is given to the soul of a believer at death, then how can it be said that that body is "RAISED"? This is devastating to the UR view.

This preserves the traditional exegesis in that the very same "body" that was sown was the very same body that was being raised at the time Paul wrote his letter. This, of course, means that Paul is not talking about individual, physical bodies at all and his choice of Greek syntax reveals this. The point I wish to make here, and the only point, is that Paul teaches the transformation of the BODY - not the corruption of one body only to be given a brand new body that never underwent corruption. The body that is raised is the same body that underwent corruption. The body, in Paul's theology, is a singular body that is TRANSFORMED and CHANGED. Paul's concern is not between the categories of believers vs. unbelievers - terms in which we Christian have been accustomed to think - although in the end the issue still applies to all men.

His main focus is Israel after the flesh - which included believers and unbelievers in the one True God - being raised in Israel after the Spirit - which did only include those in the faith of the Christ.

In the same fashion, Gentile believers are grafted into those promises of Israel. On the other hand, Gentile unbelievers never had promises to begin with, and so they were never under a covenant body.
Death, however, is still in all men by origin and nature.
And death shall follow mortal bodies and souls those without Christ.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,118,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Who is US? Believers.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God

Stay in context.
I'm sorry, but your heart has hardened. You can't see that God IS love!! How can LOVE NOT LOVE??????????????????????

Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,149,983 times
Quote:

MANY does not mean ALL.
Actually the use of the word MANY does not prove or disprove it is referring to ALL. MANY can indeed refer to ALL. Consider this statement:

There are many people in the world.

The word "many" here is referring to all people in the world. There are many of them. What it is saying is there is a large number of people in the world.

So consider:

Christ gave his blood for many.

It simply means Christ gave his blood for a large number of people. It cannot necessarily be concluded from that statement that Christ did not give his blood for some. To conclude that would be adding to the text.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
By preaching that man can be saved after he has died boilogically...yes....many won't come to the faith because of it.

Man has free will. God chooses....MAN responds.
This is Calvinist teaching. Limited atonement has nothing to do with the salvific gift to all mankind, but it is man's CHOICE to repsond to the Gospel that denotes limited atonment.

Yes He has, and IT IS US, that spread the Gospel, that fulfills the ones who He chooses!!!!!!! Good grief...get a grip!

Are you saying God only chooses some, and then they respond? If so, what about those God never even chose in the first place?

So then we are back to the original premise - if God doesn't choose some, He has effectively chosen them to suffer forever. And whether I preach UR, Atheism, or ET, it won't change what God has already chosen. While it is true God may use my preaching how He sees fit, but if you are right, God has already determined who will be saved and who is hellbound. I can do nothing to change that.

Last edited by legoman; 07-06-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Only many will be saved, not all.
Yes many will be saved. That really would be many if all were saved.

But let us continue with your reasoning. If you think many will be saved, why do you think scripture also says few are chosen? Previously you have said only the chosen are saved. So is it few saved or many saved?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,118,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

But let us continue with your reasoning. If you think many will be saved, why do you think scripture also says few are chosen? Previously you have said only the chosen are saved. So is it few saved or many saved?
Good point!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Because the few are the many. You don't understand what the Many...or the Few even refer to do you? Or better yet..the Elect!

Remember who you are talking to here...hint hint...read my status.
I am a 5 oint Calvinist, but I am also a Full Preterist.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Are you saying God only chooses some, and then they respond? If so, what about those God never even chose in the first place?

So then we are back to the original premise - if God doesn't choose some, He has effectively chosen them to suffer forever. And whether I preach UR, Atheism, or ET, it won't change what God has already chosen. While it is true God may use my preaching how He sees fit, but if you are right, God has already determined who will be saved and who is hellbound. I can do nothing to change that.
You stil dont understand. The gospel is made available for US to spread. Because God gave US the gospel to sread, within those two themes, at the core, is His choosing! Who responds, to our spreading of the gospel, is how He chooses. His saints, those who He chooses, are working for Him, by spreading the gospel. Such little you know. My advice is take off the UR glasses, and you will see the bigger picture.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Actually the use of the word MANY does not prove or disprove it is referring to ALL. MANY can indeed refer to ALL. Consider this statement:

There are many people in the world.

The word "many" here is referring to all people in the world. There are many of them. What it is saying is there is a large number of people in the world.

So consider:

Christ gave his blood for many.

It simply means Christ gave his blood for a large number of people. It cannot necessarily be concluded from that statement that Christ did not give his blood for some. To conclude that would be adding to the text.

Interpret scripture with scripture. Not your flawed philospophy.
The Jew in the first century has no idea what you are talking about.
Who is many?
Look it up...or would you like me to expand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity