Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's right. We are talking about the Almighty God, and if you think you will one day be able to figure Him out completely using our human limited logic and reason, then you do not know who God is. You place your faith in logic and reason, and not in God.

We are talking about the same God who initiated the flood which destroyed the very people he had created.

It will be interesting meeting all of these people from the past.

2 Samuel 14:14. Likewater spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

2 Samuel 14:14. Likewater spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him
Yup, sure will!!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:

I LOVE that scripture!!! Thanks Herefornow....that's excellent.

We have so much to look forward to

Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's right. We are talking about the Almighty God, and if you think you will one day be able to figure Him out completely using our human limited logic and reason, then you do not know who God is. You place your faith in logic and reason, and not in God.

We are talking about the same God who initiated the flood which destroyed the very people he had created.
The primitives who described Jehovah and His motivations were far less able than we to comprehend the mind of God . . . yet you foolishly believe everything they wrote literally as they wrote it . . . hook line and sinker. We on the other hand have the "mind of Christ" to truly understand the mind of God . . . unambiguously through teaching AND example! That is why WE are CHRISTians . . . NOT BIBLEans or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
When i asked you what you were talking about i was asking you to be more specific about what post you were referring to that i had made in this thread.

I see now you were not referring to anything that i had posted in this thread when you posted that remark to me, but were referring to my "theology" in general.

I am confident in my studies, as i study every day and have been studying for decades. I am also confident that were you and I to debate in an open forum in front of a neutral counsel of judges, or in debate class, that i could completely annihilate your arguments with scripture alone, even more so if we were allowed to draw from extra biblical sources.

As far as Clement of Alexandria is concerned, his having been a pagan and then converted to Christianity is neither here nor there, as most of the early church fathers, including Tertullian and Augustine were both Pagans and both referred to Plato and his works heavily and often.

Only a moron or otherwise someone who is illiterate and or uneducated would imagine that Christianity developed in a vacuum and that there were no external influences on the church fathers and even on the teachings of the apostles and on the teachings of Christ himself ... As Judaism had become itself saturated by the teachings of Hellenism and the mystery traditions of the Persians by that time ...

That is not to say that Christ or the apostles where themselves Platonist or subscribed to any other system of thought. But it was obviously necessary for them to incorporate various alternative systems of thought into their teachings in order to communicate certain spiritual concepts to the minds of the masses who were themselves subscribers to the very same alternative systems of thought.

A perfect example of this is when Paul was debating with the stoics, and at that time made specific reference to the pagan poets and then quoted them when he said that we are all the offspring of God(Act 17:28).

Your attempt to discredit Universal Reconciliation by discrediting Clement of Alexandra for having been influenced in any way by Stoicism or Hellenism or even Gnosticism falls flat, and if you studied all the church fathers and all the various developments of the Catholic church after Constantine declared Christianity the state religion of Rome you would recognize that Paganism in all its various forms infiltrated and overran the Christian community almost completely.

Finding and bringing to light similarities between divergent systems of thought or religions is not a bad thing. The study of philosophical and religious syncretism throughout history is actually very important in order to understand the development of human thought throughout the ages. It is only when one seeks to interpolate alien concepts into a system of thought or religion in order to subvert that system and make it teach what one desires it to teach in order to accomplish ones own agenda that it becomes dishonest.

Peace ...
Ironmaw...you said you get your theology straight from the Bible. I said you don't, but rather from Origen, who is influenced by Stoic and Gnostic philosophies, taught to him via CA. Ir doesn't fall flat, it is the plain truth.

Quote:
I prefer Socrates to Plato any day of the week, as the teachings of Socrates are far more in line with the teachings of Christ and the apostles.
Statements such as this above, seem to prove my point about UR, and its roots....

Also, why make remarks such as "only a moron"

Do you think that a seeker of the faith would consider your thoughts when you make statements such as this?

I will let you have the last word.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Yup, sure will!!
The people from Noah's time have only been sleeping for a few days, really. Our time is so brief, here. Some people talk about them as though God hated them and they deserved to burn, but the Bible says God scoops up things he destroys and makes something better out of it. He hates banishing people, and he hates having to destroy. It is not in his nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I LOVE that scripture!!! Thanks Herefornow....that's excellent.

We have so much to look forward to
Sometimes, I get so bogged down in the mundane and all the little anoyances that I forget what I'm doing here and what it's all about. Yes, we do have a lot to look forward to. The pain is temporary. The sadness is temporary. The weight will be lifted from the world one day, and all will be returned to normal (things just aren't normal right now, are they?).

Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Statements such as this above, seem to prove my point about UR, and its roots....
Socrates saw death as being similar to sleep without dreams, having no perception. Of course, this does not resemble that of a descent into an
Unscriptural Hades; where the wicked undergo a preliminary form of punishment in a subterranean cave derived from within the minds of men.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
The people from Noah's time have only been sleeping for a few days, really. Our time is so brief, here. Some people talk about them as though God hated them and they deserved to burn, but the Bible says God scoops up things he destroys and makes something better out of it. He hates banishing people, and he hates having to destroy. It is not in his nature.

Sometimes, I get so bogged down in the mundane and all the little anoyances that I forget what I'm doing here and what it's all about. Yes, we do have a lot to look forward to. The pain is temporary. The sadness is temporary. The weight will be lifted from the world one day, and all will be returned to normal (things just aren't normal right now, are they?).
Yes! We must keep our eyes on the prize, which is something so out of this world that we can't even imagine it. For those of us who feel everything and go through life seeing the pain and agony of this life there is something that is unimaginably better.....it's just a matter of time and space. Just a little longer my friend.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The primitives who described Jehovah and His motivations were far less able than we to comprehend the mind of God . . . yet you foolishly believe everything they wrote literally as they wrote it . . . hook line and sinker. We on the other hand have the "mind of Christ" to truly understand the mind of God . . . unambiguously through teaching AND example! That is why WE are CHRISTians . . . NOT BIBLEans or Jehovah's Witnesses.
Well, no one will force you to believe what the Bible says. Just don't come back to offer quotes from a book which you do not beleive in.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

2 Samuel 14 is an interesting exchange between a woman and the king about Abslom, who had been banished from Jerusalem to return home. Up to this point in the story there are similarities to the story of the prodigal son, who was lost and God brought him back home. However, the story has nothing to do with people who have already died like those who died in Noahs time. In their case, God regretted he had even created them, and decided to wipe them out. They died in their sins, and God made a covenant with Noah and his decendats only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity