Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that the belief that the wicked will never want any part of God, sets evil and wickedness above the power of God to subject all to Himself.

The spirit cannot be annihilated if it returns to God. None are annihilated if all return to Him.

"For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things.” Rom. 11:36

God bless and peace.

Great points, Shana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Quote:
I believe that the belief that the wicked will never want any part of God, sets evil and wickedness above the power of God to subject all to Himself.

The spirit cannot be annihilated if it returns to God.

God bless and peace.
Quote:
The spirit cannot be annihilated if it returns to God.
The spirit that returns to God is the spirit/breath of life. The breath of life is not something that is either 'saved' or "annihilated." It just that; the breath/spirit of life given to us a birth.

How do we know it's not something more? Here's just 5 of the many places breath/neshwamaw is used:

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath [neshwamaw] of life; and man became a living soul." (Gen. 2:7).

Gen.7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath [neshwamaw]of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. {the breath…: Heb. the breath of the spirit of life}

Psa. 18:15 Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath [neshwamaw]

of thy nostrils.

Prov. 20:27 ¶ The spirit [neshwamaw]of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Isa.2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath [neshwamaw] is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?

Now the breath/spirit that returns to God is of all ppl whether 'good' or "evil."

So your statement/quote above holds no water, Shana. The breath/spirit of life, of every man, returns to God at the death of the soul. Why? Because God gave this breath in the first place.

It's not, BTW, an immortal breath.

Last edited by mshipmate; 06-23-2012 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Quote:
Now the breath/spirit that returns to God is of all ppl whether 'good' or "evil."
I agree with you, Mshipmate. I did not say that it was more than this. Thrillobyte believes that the spirit can be annihilated. I just mentioned that it cannot be annihilated if it returns to God. I don't know if we can say if it is or is not an immortal breath.

Thank you .sparrow

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-23-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM

154 posts, read 210,314 times
Quote:
Some believe in eternal death and some believe in annihilation then. What is the difference as far as the soul is concerned?

God bless and peace.
I see no difference. The soul that sins shall die. Ezekiel 18:4

When the wicked are judged and cast into the lake they will ultimately die. That is eternal. They will never live again. That is the state of "outer darkness".

Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So you finally got it?...
Are you annihilationist, Richard? That question sounds weird for some reason.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:45 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
"The state of outer darkness is not knowing the truth."

Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, Mshipmate. I did not say that it was more than this. Thrillobyte believes that the spirit can be annihilated. I just mentioned that it cannot be annihilated if it returns to God. I don't know if we can say if it is or is not an immortal breath.

God bless and peace.
I'm not exactly clear on this myself. Goggle "soul vs spirit" and you'll get a hundred different opinions. Seems the so-called "Bible experts" and "theologians" can't get their acts together on this one either. What DO they agree on, I wonder?

OMgosh I just noticed my reputation is 666 Someone rep me. QUICK!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:27 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm not exactly clear on this myself. Goggle "soul vs spirit" and you'll get a hundred different opinions. Seems the so-called "Bible experts" and "theologians" can't get their acts together on this one either. What DO they agree on, I wonder?

OMgosh I just noticed my reputation is 666 Someone rep me. QUICK!
Six score six, the books of man's progress.
Unfortunately, I am out of Rep's.
LOL

Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Six score six, the books of man's progress.
Unfortunately, I am out of Rep's.
LOL
The mark of Satan, you mean! I won't sleep tonight!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 AM

154 posts, read 210,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"The state of outer darkness is not knowing the truth."
Darkness is used as a metaphor for death in scripture.

11 My days are past , my purposes are broken off , even the thoughts of my heart. 12 They change the night into day: the light is short because of darkness. 13 If I wait , the grave is mine house: I have made my bed in the darkness. Job 17:11-13

5 Yea, the light of the wicked shall be put out , and the spark of his fire shall not shine . 6 The light shall be dark in his tabernacle, and his candle shall be put out with him. Job 18:5-6

16 His roots shall be dried up beneath, and above shall his branch be cut off . 17 His remembrance shall perish from the earth, and he shall have no name in the street . 18 He shall be driven from light into darkness, and chased out of the world. Job 18:16-18

Outer Darkness was Jesus way of saying they would come to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity