Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
Why do fundamentalists call homosexuality a "lifestyle"?

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation that doesn't imply nor force people to live life in a specifc way. You just fall in love with people of the same sex, period. The rest of your life is just like anybody else's, that is, waking up, studying, working, paying the bills, etc.

Religiosity, on the other hand, is a lifestyle from head to toe and potentially dangerous as fundamentalists show us every day.
Because gay people let their sexual orientation become a part of their identity and entire life.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM

440 posts, read 378,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Because gay people let their sexual orientation become a part of their identity and entire life.
Sexual orientation doesn't make people homogeneous. The only innate trait shared is the sexual, emotional and romantic attraction to the same sex, the rest varies from person to person just like heterosexuality doesn't make heterosexual people homogeneous either.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Is the following part of the OT Jesus pointed to?

Among the jewels (in Leviticus) you'll find in it are a mandate to kill disobedient children, a dietary restriction to not eat shellfish (God Hates Shrimp!), a law that would prevent bowl-cuts (or “rounding off the side-growth of your heads” – and to think I liked the Beatles), direction to not touch or eat the flesh of a pig (no bacon and cheddar soup for you!), and a prohibition on the rhythm method of birth control (you know who you are!). Oh, and presumably, gay sex (which, of course, is why I bring it up).

But you believe He DOES point to Leviticus with regard to homosexuality but not the others? If He pointed to them shouldn't we be practicing them. Killing children and such? No? Then what part DID He point to? Would it be to grant mercy rather than sacrifice? Would it be to provide for the poor or to welcome sojourners into the land?

I certainly believe Jesus had spiritual purpose--but He proposed real life actions as examples of spiritual purpose. His entire message is summed up in His first and greatest sermon--The Sermon on the Mount. It involved ACTION of people. Not a word mentioned about "beliefs." Belief was always secondary to Jesus, and proof of belief was in ACTION.

So how does condemning homosexuality translate into the kind of actions Jesus proposed in the Sermon on the Mount? How does it fit in with the example of living that He provided us?
Once again, you refuse to acknowledge the true purpose of Jesus, which was the eternal salvation of mankind. This was His Fathers business. Again, what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul? It profits nothing.

Yes, we should be loving of all people, humble and gentle and gracious to everyone, especially of those that are lost but only so that in doing this they might see the light and love of God reflected in our actions and come to salvation.

Contrary to the opinions of people on this forum, Jesus loved people and stood firm in the unchanging morality of God. And guess what? So can we. I try everyday to love all the people God places in my path, and be a witness so that if God desires, I might be the vessel that brings about the salvation of another. Regarding this there is no greater purpose.

Your dichotomy is a false one.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:07 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
I have stated that I keep some things that you insist that I do not keep found in Leviticus, but my personal religious practices (whether I permit this or do not permit that) do not take away from the fact that homosexuality is an abominable sin that defiles the land as stated in Leviticus. Just because you, sir, are a sinner and a very poor representative of Christ who is perfect doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus Christ is the Messiah and His shed blood allows truly repentant believers to be forgiven of their sins.

And you have nothing really to answer my statements quoting from Leviticus except your personal attacks against me in an attempt to kill the messenger if you can't kill his message.

As far as me answering your off topic related questions, you will not even come out and state directly if homosexuality is a sin or not so why should you even try to get me to answer questions that are off topic when you won't even answer the main question that is on the topic.

tthttf
Perhaps the real problem is that you don't actually know what homosexuality is.

It's not 'a male lying with a man like he would a woman'. That's not homosexuality.

So it's not your biblical understanding that is the problem, it's your lack of understanding of what homosexuality is.

Problem solved.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
While this is probably a legitimate point, I am not sure that the phrase "cherry picking" is one that I would use in a discussion of AIDS victims. I won't even go into the use of the word "analogy."
The point I was highlighting is that if someone is to comment on STD transfer statistics in the Homosexual community as a whole, then that user should not specifically cherry pick the sub sets of that community that allow him to distort such figures in his favor.

That would be like commenting on the % of people who die in the American Army as a whole by specifically only using figures from the front lines and not, say, figures from the hospitals or the pen pushers at the desks.

One should be honest and comment only on the groups the statistics specifically fit to. But the user is doing the opposite. Massaging statistics from a particular sub set and then acting like these statistics are a comment on the set as a whole.

They are not. At all. And the user knows this, but does it anyway. Which speaks volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Same-sex marriage? Is that like carnivorous vegetarianism? What are you guys talking about?
And you presumed to suggest I was using analogy poorly? Quite the stretch. Analogy should at least partially map onto what it is meant to be analogous to. Yours does not. At all.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:07 AM

440 posts, read 378,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that you don't actually know what homosexuality is.

It's not 'a male lying with a man like he would a woman'. That's not homosexuality.

So it's not your biblical understanding that is the problem, it's your lack of understanding of what homosexuality is.

Problem solved.
That is the patriarchal problem Patriarchy has with homosexuality, that is, sexual intercourse.

Patriarchy thinks sexual intercourse is practically a heterosexual invention and the rest is just imitating and taking heterosexual roles in sex.

People of the same sex don't take heterosexual roles in sex, there isn't a man and woman; there is a man and a man; there is a woman and a woman and they treat each other as such.

Keep in mind that Patrirachy sees women as inferior to men and their role in sex is seen as the very expression of women's inferiority. For patriarchy, a man that takes the passive role is taking a woman's role in bed thus he is taking and inferior position that only belongs to women.

That is another expression of heterosexism and heteronormativity in that Patriarchy fails to understand that sexual intercourse is not a heterosexual invention and that women should not be seen and treated as inferior to men.

The bible was written under patriarchal views.

Last edited by Haukur; 11-24-2014 at 04:16 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What is even more annoying is when heterosexual people let their sexual orientation become a part of their identity and entire life. Pictures of heterosexual spouses on their desk, endless talk about the children etc. Why can't they just keep it in the bedroom?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:00 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Leviticus 18 makes two important points beyond the fact that homosexuality is an abominable sin that is capital crime as stated in the verses quoted in the opening post.

1) It is not a sin that does not affect others as some claim because as we read in Leviticus 18 this sin along with the others listed in the chapter will cause the land to be defiled and the inhabitants vomited out.

2) It is a sin that causes the inhabitants of the land to be punished no matter if they are Israelite or Gentile. There is no distinction so you cannot claim it applies to just Israel and make all your claims about obeying all the 613 or whatever laws you try to tack on to this sin to try and get around it because you think it no longer applies. God said the land would vomit out the inhabitants (as both the Canaanites and the Israelites were vomited out) if they committed these sins which includes homosexuality and adultery.

We had better take heed.

God said that the sins of the Amorties had not reached to the level at one point for them to be vomited out.

Genesis 15
13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

The land will reach a limit and no longer bear any more sin and the inhabitants will be vomited out.

What about the lands we each live in? How long do we have before we are vomited out of the land? 400 years? Sooner? Will our other sins beyond the ones listed in Leviticus 18 like murder (abortion), etc speed up this process? God and Christ know.

I think our time on the land will be much shorter myself but that is just my opinion.

It's tragic to watch some encourage others to embrace a sin whether directly or indirectly that will cause us all to be removed off the land because of it.

Where is you love for the land and the righteousness of God? Where? You love evil and destruction and hate those who are warning you of the consequences of your sins!

Come out of this "puffed up" condition of condoning sin as Paul describes in Corinthians and put this leaven out!

1 Corinthians 5:
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

How dare you denigrate the writings of Paul just because he nails you on your error of bringing unrepentant homosexuals into the body of Christ when instead you should put them out for the destruction of their flesh so they will be so sick of their sinful life that when they are resurrected to judgment they will finally repent in the Great White Throne Judgment period and receive God's Holy Spirit and overcome their sins and be saved.

You actually hate homosexuals by condoning their sins and not allowing them to receive the full measure of the curses that come on people that are defiantly disobeying God! You are their worst enemy as far as them coming out of their sin and avoiding the lake of fire -- the second death!

Please follow the example of Paul and repent of your error!

tthttf

Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 AM

993 posts, read 1,768,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Leviticus 18 makes two important points beyond the fact that homosexuality is an abominable sin that is capital crime as stated in the verses quoted in the opening post.

1) It is not a sin that does not affect others as some claim because as we read in Leviticus 18 this sin along with the others listed in the chapter will cause the land to be defiled and the inhabitants vomited out.

2) It is a sin that causes the inhabitants of the land to be punished no matter if they are Israelite or Gentile. There is no distinction so you cannot claim it applies to just Israel and make all your claims about obeying all the 613 or whatever laws you try to tack on to this sin to try and get around it because you think it no longer applies. God said the land would vomit out the inhabitants (as both the Canaanites and the Israelites were vomited out) if they committed these sins which includes homosexuality and adultery.

We had better take heed.

God said that the sins of the Amorties had not reached to the level at one point for them to be vomited out.

Genesis 15
13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

The land will reach a limit and no longer bear any more sin and the inhabitants will be vomited out.

What about the lands we each live in? How long do we have before we are vomited out of the land? 400 years? Sooner? Will our other sins beyond the ones listed in Leviticus 18 like murder (abortion), etc speed up this process? God and Christ know.

I think our time on the land will be much shorter myself but that is just my opinion.

It's tragic to watch some encourage others to embrace a sin whether directly or indirectly that will cause us all to be removed off the land because of it.

Where is you love for the land and the righteousness of God? Where? You love evil and destruction and hate those who are warning you of the consequences of your sins!

Come out of this "puffed up" condition of condoning sin as Paul describes in Corinthians and put this leaven out!

1 Corinthians 5:
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

How dare you denigrate the writings of Paul just because he nails you on your error of bringing unrepentant homosexuals into the body of Christ when instead you should put them out for the destruction of their flesh so they will be so sick of their sinful life that when they are resurrected to judgment they will finally repent in the Great White Throne Judgment period and receive God's Holy Spirit and overcome their sins and be saved.

You actually hate homosexuals by condoning their sins and not allowing them to receive the full measure of the curses that come on people that are defiantly disobeying God! You are their worst enemy as far as them coming out of their sin and avoiding the lake of fire -- the second death!

Please follow the example of Paul and repent of your error!

tthttf
Your tone seems very pointed right now

Old 11-24-2014, 05:31 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Your tone seems very pointed right now
I hope my words will wake people up to repentance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity