Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
I believe that scripture was a part of the laws and regulations given to a specific people during a specific period of time. It has not been introduced into the laws and regulations for us today. That's my view!

I also pointed out that I find no ambiguity in the scripture for those it was given to. It is very clear.
lol. so you reserve the right to choose what was for "then", and what is for "now"..
how convenient.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
lol. so you reserve the right to choose what was for "then", and what is for "now"..
how convenient.
It's not a difficult thing to understand if you want to. Breaking a law is immoral. Not all unlawful actions are immoral in absence of a law while conversely, some unlawful actions are objectively immoral regardless of a law against it. Eating shellfish is only immoral if there is a law against it. Murder is immoral, even in the absence of a law against it. It all has to do with God's objective morality which operates on a higher plane than society.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
I believe that scripture was a part of the laws and regulations given to a specific people during a specific period of time. It has not been introduced into the laws and regulations for us today. That's my view!

I also pointed out that I find no ambiguity in the scripture for those it was given to. It is very clear.
So in that case, if that law is given to a specific people at a specific time, why would any part of it be applicable to homosexuals today?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
It's not a difficult thing to understand if you want to. Breaking a law is immoral. Not all unlawful actions are immoral in absence of a law while conversely, some unlawful actions are objectively immoral regardless of a law against it. Eating shellfish is only immoral if there is a law against it. Murder is immoral, even in the absence of a law against it. It all has to do with God's objective morality which operates on a higher plane than society.
So were is the definitive guidance on what is "god's objective morality"? Why is homosexuality and murder wrong, and eating shellfish not? Or mixing fabrics?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So were is the definitive guidance on what is "god's objective morality"? Why is homosexuality and murder wrong, and eating shellfish not? Or mixing fabrics?
1. God didn't reduce a city to ashes because people were eating shrimp. He did for homosexuality.

2. The law references other nations engaging in homosexuality and how it destroyed their land. That alone shows that the law involves a universal sin applicable to everyone, not just the Israelites.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

OMG, you are correct. Left-handed people should be oppressed. It's not natural. People are "naturally" right-handed. Left-handers must be the spawn of Satan! Next thing they will be trying to take over our government. I should have a right to deny selling cookies and cakes to left-handers. They shouldn't be allowed to marry! They shouldn't be allowed in our churches. We should give them a single mast salute with our God-given RIGHT hand!!
With that logic, someone who is born with a brain that is geared towards kleptomania should never be held accountable for their actions. They can't help it! There is NO choice involved when they go out and steal, right?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The Scripture, as a whole, shows us God's nature and also His morality. However, God's objective morality is hard-wired into His creation, which is why murder is immoral, even if everyone in the world thought it wasn't.

Homosexual acts are sexual perversions, because they are committed outside of the covenant of marriage, which is impossible to enter as the same sex, and also because it runs contrary to God's perfect plan, which is for a male and a female to be together sexually. This can be found throughout the Scripture, which I believe is God's testimony preserved for all men.

Once again I would caution you, though, just because homosexual acts are a sin against God, doesn't mean it is any better or worse than any other sin, sexual or otherwise. However, this does not negate the fact that as Christians, we should refrain from sinful actions and ask God's forgiveness and repent when we stumble.

This means regardless of the sinful nature of all men, we should be kind, loving, gentle, longsuffering and be a blessing to all people, so that the love of Christ might reflect through us and lead the lost to salvation.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
1. God didn't reduce a city to ashes because people were eating shrimp. He did for homosexuality.

2. The law references other nations engaging in homosexuality and how it destroyed their land. That alone shows that the law involves a universal sin applicable to everyone, not just the Israelites.
You really don't understand the Sodom and Gomorrah story well do you? All your doing is reiterating the misinterpretations of some fire and brimstone zealots. Many posts have been made on the real reason. Why are they not talked about? Why only homosexuality
  • Inhospitality
  • Seeking sex with angels, fornication, and going after "strange flesh"
  • Pride, wealth, laziness, and ignoring the needs of the poor
  • Adultery, lies, and general immorality

Old 11-24-2014, 01:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:

1. What a silly thing to believe.

2. Even sillier.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
I don't ever recall seeing a "straight pride" parade.
I guess you have never been to Mardi Gras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity