Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In other words if there is no works there is no faith, we are just kidding ourselves that we have it.
If there are no real works of faith, there is no living faith, just self delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you believe Jesus would take back your salvation if you stop working one day down the road?

It can happen to anyone, even to you.

If it does happen to you, remember this: He set His seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in
our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

He won't forget you.

People here are too quick to judge the faiths of other people with comments like "you don't have faith, you are just kidding yourself that you have it". Such judgment stems from a cold heart.
He won't reject us, but we can reject him. Once He has set His seal it is sure, but that is something He does and we may only think we have it, as we are clearly told.

Since no one here has said any particular person has no faith, your words in quotes are made up, to knock down. Seems you are judging those who disagree with you .................

ASV Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They thought they knew him and he knew them. Nope.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM

63,962 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, there are two types of faith.
A living Faith that saves
A dead Faith that does nothing.
There may be two types of faith (probably more than that) . . . but none affect our salvation . . . just our sanctification under Christ's love for us all. This is a distinction that so few seem to recognize. WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR SALVATION,period. Christ DID that. It is finished. What is so hard to understand about this? Why do people insist upon trying to take credit for their salvation by proclaiming faith or belief or whatever other human nonsense they THINK has anything to do with our salvation. NONE of it does! We do not save ourselves no matter WHAT we do or do not do! We only affect our sanctification . . . and that has consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In other words if there is no works there is no faith, we are just kidding ourselves that we have it.
Yes because our works are the evidence of our faith . . . but it has nothing to do with our salvation . . . only our sanctification!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,316,186 times
Quote:
Yep, there are two types of faith.

A living Faith that saves

A dead Faith that does nothing.
I agree

Old 03-16-2015, 09:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes because our works are the evidence of our faith . . . but it has nothing to do with our salvation . . . only our sanctification!
Think of salvation in terms of saving from a life of futile selfishness, Mystic. I think it will help you communicate on their level.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 AM

63,962 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Think of salvation in terms of saving from a life of futile selfishness, Mystic. I think it will help you communicate on their level.
That is a fantastic idea. . . succinct and cogent. Thanks, nate. I guess they simply will not easily let go of the being saved idea having something to do with what they do or do not do.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times
Quote:
Do you believe Jesus would take back your salvation if you stop working one day down the road?

If it does happen to you, remember this: He set His seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in

He won't forget you.

People here are too quick to judge the faiths of other people with comments like "you don't have faith, you are just kidding yourself that you have it". Such judgment stems from a cold heart.
I agree. Actually, weren't we told that by their WORKS (fruits) we would know them as Christ's followers? Or are you saying He said it is by their beliefs we will know them?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:

He won't forget you.

It is not a judgement ........ It is what your bible says............faith without works is dead, in other words non existent.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
He won't reject us, but we can reject him. Once He has set His seal it is sure, but that is something He does and we may only think we have it, as we are clearly told.
Ok, so when does Christ set the seal of ownership? Is it when you are saved, or when you have done enough 'good works'?

The answer: When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Quote:
ASV Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Why didn't the Lord know them?

Because they did not have the seal of ownership, they only had works.

"Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?"

The seal which opens the door, not the works, and the passage you quoted proves it.

Quote:
They thought they knew him and he knew them. Nope.
They thought they had earned their salvation through their works.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I agree. Actually, weren't we told that by their WORKS (fruits) we would know them as Christ's followers? Or are you saying He said it is by their beliefs we will know them?
He said you can identify a false prophet by their works. That's good advice for us, since we cannot see the actual seal of salvation. We need to be able to identify those who preach false messages, but Christ sees the seal of ownership.

What is your motivation?

Do you do works in order to prove to others you are a believer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity