Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Fundie shield pretty thick, huh?
yup. got my armor ready just like it says in Ephesians 6.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
i sure do and one day you will have to tell Him yourself when you stand before Him to answer for your life....just like everyone else
When we die, we all become worm food, and we will have as much cognition and consciousness as we had before we were conceived.

Get used to reality.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I can when they speak.

I said, and I quote, "I have seen exactly ZERO fundamentalists that are trying to "meet in the middle". Notice the word "I" in that sentence. Maybe YOU should go back and read to get a little better assessment of me...

As for the rest of your post, being friendly with a gay person is not "meeting in the middle". It is basic human dignity. If you go up to a gay person, and you are friendly with them, and then turn around and say they shouldn't be able to get married or shop where they please, you are not "meeting in the middle". As for your homeless shelter point.... So what? Working with people doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of white racists who work with black people with no issue.

That is perfectly fine, and not the issue. The issue is when you come into the public sphere and try to deny them the right to marry, and the right to be served. If you want to see them as sinners in need of repentance, great. If you want to deny them basic rights, then we have an issue. That is what fundamentalists do. And yes, I will make that blanket statement unless you can find me a true fundamentalist that doesn't think that way.

Agreeing to disagree is not the same thing as what fundamentalist do though. You are free to disagree with whatever you want. Don't like seafood? Great, we can agree to disagree. Want to treat gay people like second class citizens not worthy of the same rights as everyone else? No, they (and those who side with them) are not going to "agree to disagree" and let you take away their ability to be served or keep them from get married. Not gonna happen.

If you truly would "agree to disagree", then you would grant them their marriages and serve them their cake, and move on. That isn't what you guys do though, is it?

Oh, I agree. The problem is, one side isn't willing to do so. If fundamentalists (notice I am not saying Christians, but fundamentalists specifically) wouldn't try to deny rights and treat people differently based off of their sexual orientation, there would be no issue. The issue is from the side of religion, and not that of gay people. Do you not understand that? Really?

You are expecting gay people and free thinkers to just let you guys run all over them and sit down and shut up. That isn't going to happen. If you want people to meet in the middle, then you got to meet them there, not expect them to cross the line and give up their own rights and forget their own issues.
i'm not even going to try and respond to everything you posted because i just don't have an answer for all the hate you possess for fundamentalist Christians. maybe one day, you will be able to see through all of it and take a deeper look at who you're so adamantly opposed to. maybe then, there can be honest discussion but not now, not today. i will certainly keep you in prayer though, you can count on it.

Last edited by urbanlemur; 11-21-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
When we die, we all become worm food, and we will have as much cognition and consciousness as we had before we were conceived.

Get used to reality.
you'll find out the hard way what reality is when you die and that i would not want anyone to get used to

Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
yup. got my armor ready just like it says in Ephesians 6.
And you will stay brainless like a robot like it says in

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]

Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Romans 1:22-25 states, professing to be wise, they (idol worshipers) were made fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of fowls, and of quadrupeds, and of reptiles. Wherefore also God did give them (idol worshipers) up, in the desires of their hearts, to uncleanness, to dishonor their (idol worshipers) bodies among themselves; who did change the truth of God into a falsehood, and did honor and serve the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed to the ages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Glad you brought up the above passage of scripture, urbanlemur. It's one that is most favored by the 'anti-gay brigade' and one that they have no clue as to its meaning. The passage is speaking of those who once knew God but had now given Him up for the worship of pagan idols, images made in the likeness of mortal man, birds, animals and reptiles. Paul refers to these people as 'they', 'them' or 'their' so all we know of those to whom he refers is that 'they' no longer worship the Creator but rather man-made images as found in pagan temples. SO, we know that pagan worship practices are being spoken of here.

Paul is still in 'idol worship' mode here where he's condemning those who once worshiped and served the one true God. They are now (gasp) worshiping and serving images of God's creations, i.e. mortal men, animals, birds and reptiles in pagan temples. They are serving and worshiping 'the creature' rather than the Creator who they once worshiped and served. Are you with me so far?

We need to understand here that Paul was NOT writing his letters to we of today in the year 2018 but to a specific early Christian Church, the recipients of whom would have understood what Paul is writing about. Paul is reiterating what they already know ...that some former 'God worshipers' have abandoned God in favor of idol worship. The recipient/s of Paul's letters would have also known that idol worship may well involve the use of temple prostitutes. I would suggest that you Google 'temple prostitutes' for an understanding of their role in pagan temples. Then you will appreciate what it is that Paul is referring to here. As I've stated many times previously, whether temple prostitutes were homosexual or heterosexual is IRRELEVANT. Their sexual persuasion had NOTHING to do with the role of either the temple prostitute or their 'client'. These were sexual rituals performed to the idols in return for (so they believed) supernatural favors. The above portion of the Romans 1 passage is speaking of temple prostitution and NOT 'homosexuality'. It would appear that women were also participating in sexual practices affiliated with pagan idolatry.

The above is merely Paul continuing his tirade about the 'they' he referred to initially. Perhaps he gets off-track and begins to rant about others to whom he has a bee in his bonnet ...who knows? HOWEVER, the main gist of that passage of scripture IS NOT pertaining to either homosexuality or heterosexuality but to idol worship and affiliated temple prostitution rituals as performed to the idols. For those who continue to use that text as a condemnation of homosexuality are doing so solely to promote hatred. Ignorance is no excuse. They can deny this until the cows come home but it will not change what IT IS!
Quote:
I was going to take it one piece at a time, but you covered it much better and in a shorter time frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Sorry Jerwade ...it seems we posted just several minutes apart from one another. However, great minds clearly think alike . . .

While here though ...I'm wondering if Jeff, BaptistFundie or anyone else would care to refute the 'idolatry and temple prostitution' theme of Romans 1 and would rather present their own particular interpretation of that passage ...?
It will be difficult getting idol worshipers' to see anything else.

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-21-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 03:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
i sure do and one day you will have to tell Him yourself when you stand before Him to answer for your life....just like everyone else
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And you will stay brainless like a robot like it says in

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
ah, my favorite verses in Scripture!!!

Old 11-21-2018, 04:30 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
It will be difficult getting idol worshipers' to see anything else.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
can you post a pic of it, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.