Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am just kind of curious if you would be upset if God really did save all mankind because Christ ransomed all per 1 Timothy 2:4-6.

Would that sadden you to see your loved ones saved even if they never set foot in church?
Obviously that would be great. I would have no problem being wrong. But if it is not true, then I am doing others a disservice.

Would you serve God even if He does not save everybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obviously that would be great. I would have no problem being wrong. But if it is not true, then I am doing others a disservice.

Actually, I did once consider annihilation being a possibility and that brought me much closer to the true God, but then I studied further and realized that God is all-knowing, all-wise all-powerful, omnipotent. Therefore, I was able to grasp the fact that God's will is that all shall be saved and that no one can stay God's hand. But each in their own order. There are plenty of souls I would not want to have at the time of judgement. Judgement is not pleasant. God has used much grief to purify me, and I do fear I have not seen the last of it.

I believe the words of Jesus that the hypocrites will find themselves in the place where the unbelievers are on the day of judgement. And there will certainly be a very large number of them. There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth. I believe the place of judgement is OUTSIDE the temple. Don't want to be barred from the temple or thrown out of the wedding! Many will be.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
P
Quote:
<snip>

Saving people or condemning them to hell is God's business. The Bible is full of opinions, but has no concrete evidence that heaven or hell are "afterlife" destinations.

Understand Jesus as a personal Savior or understand Him as a great man of wisdom. Either way that understanding is meaningful only if it is transforming of attitudes and actions. Unfortunately fundamentalism has boiled Christianity down to "I believe" or "I don't."

Faith has been changed from meaning trust to meaning dogma. Fundamentalism no longer teaches walking in Jesus' footsteps but reinforces the dogmas it considers "important." I always thought that if Jesus felt either the His virgin birth or the Bible were important He would have included some comment about it in arguably His greatest sermon, The Sermon on the Mount. He didn't.

The abrogation of Jesus' teaching for dogma has undercut Jesus' call for action on the part of many of those claiming His name. After all, it is easier to say "I believe" this or that, than it is to treat one's enemies as oneself. Following Jesus requires radical suppression of one's self---and I can't find anywhere in Scripture where Jesus rejected anyone for what they believed, if they were willing to do what was right with regard to others.

Does anyone think the story of the Good Samaritan was about right beliefs? Did God refuse him entry into the Kingdom because he didn't believe the correct Scripture or interpreted it differently? What about the priest and the Levite who passed the injured man by? All the correct beliefs according to the dominate religion. But is failure to act on behalf of others reason to throw away the keys to the Kingdom? I suppose it depends on how one translates the conclusion in Matt. 25. Both the sheep and goats call God "Lord" so it is a parable about all claiming to be believers.

If God saves all--that's His business. If He destroys all, that's His business.

My business is obedience to wisdom theology. If I preach--it will be about what Jesus saves us TO, not what He saves us from. He saves us to treat others as He treated them--nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-30-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It ends up being the ultimate irony, L8. They literally are doing it to themselves because what they do to others IS actually being done to themselves in more ways than one. Reaping what you yourself sow is the ultimate irony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think that applies to people who are sociopaths. I understand how someone who is simply disordered makes life as hard on themselves as others. It's sad to watch my Jehovah addicted mother back herself further and further into a corner as she destroys family out of misplaced loyalty. I believe she suffers more than I do in her attempt to "discipline" her nearly 50 year old daughter by shunning. The people running the scam suffer no consequences or pain. They, like many others who harm in the name of God, will probably never have to answer for what they have done.
I disagree, L8. We will ALL reap whatever we sow if we do not repent of it. Only sincere repentance changes the actual character of our Spirit. Mere remorse or apologizing does not. When all the constraints and limitations of this physical existence are removed by death, we will face ourselves in the pure light of God's pure agape love and will be found wanting. What we have not sincerely repented of will need to be refined out as dross. It will not be pleasant, but it will be what WE have done to ourselves by doing it to others. It will NOT be any punishment from God.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Obviously that would be great. I would have no problem being wrong.
But if it is not true, then I am doing others a disservice.
If it is true, are you not committing a disservice as well by denying it?
And attempting to convince others that it is not true?

Quote:
Would you serve God, even if He does not save everybody?
Is that a reference to someone like Ed Gein who made belts from the breast nipples of women?
Or, a person who does not believe (the same as you)? Yet, always had compassion for others.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:28 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Actually 2 Timothy 2:4-6 here is taken out of context as there is more to the Gospel then this one scripture as ``everyone that will come `` is the correct understanding , and not saving people against their will to be saved in all mankind .... See the love of God give people a choice to go and love God or not .......... So then if God saves everyone then the cross of Christ has lost its power to be a judgment for mankind to turn from the world or not ........ See there is No salvation for the demons and even God`s Holy Angels do not have This gift of salvation by Jesus where fallen angels will be eternally separate from God , so if some men and women who follow the demons and be lost to God then that is their error , but it is also their will , as the love of God does not make us robots with no will

Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am just kind of curious if you would be upset if God really did save all mankind because Christ ransomed all per 1 Timothy 2:4-6.

Would that sadden you to see your loved ones saved even if they never set foot in church?
Just the totally demented killers, rapists and child molesters...I could care less about being n church--and I am REALLY sure god does not care a bit how many times we were in church, read the fairy-tales or crawled across glass shards to prove our suffering.

I believe god is going to judge us by our heart and ask DID WE GIVE MORE LOVE THAN WE RECEIVED..

Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You mean like the criminal on Jesus' right side did?
No.
That is the very Nature of Love Itself.
Him saving the criminal on the right, and not the one on the left is 100% in sync with everything He taught.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:

Since it seems to me you are kind of split 50/50 on God saving all and damning all to eternal hell fire and damnation. So why not teach both just so you can be sure? Why not teach that God is going to eternally damn the majority of mankind to an eternal torture chamber and God is going to save all mankind? That way you can make sure you touch all the bases.

As far as I am personally concerned, if God brought billions upon billions of people into the world and their final lot was eternal torture in fire, then, no, of course I would not and could not serve such a monstrous being. Such a being is far worse than the gods of the heathen.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:45 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Him saving the criminal on the right, and not the one on the left is 100% in sync with everything He taught.
That is true. God is not going to save everyone . . . . for age-during life. Not everyone will enter into Paradise with Christ when He returns. The one on the left will not be saved for Christ's kingdom He will set up when He returns.

But God is going to save everyone at the consummation of the ages.

So Finn, are you going to dance with joy at knowing your loved ones will be eternally tortured since, according to you, this is God's will for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity