Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
In detail. How will God change the minds of those that know God, hate God, hate love?

(Do not use my feelings at all in your explanation. Pretend I can't feel.)
You mean the axiom wasn't enough for you? The goodness of God leads to repentance. I doubt there's a one size fits all process. But it would all hinge on the revelation and personal experience of God's goodness.

By the way, according to the bible, anyone who does not love does not know God, so your question is actually moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
If you're the type of person who would be upset with the Sovereignty of God; you'd better just count your blessings, be overjoyed you were chosen and stop being concerned with who else & why they were saved.
Of course they would be upset. One of the greater benefits of being a card carrying Christian, is having the privilege of telling non-believers they are going to hell.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM

741 posts, read 444,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You mean the axiom wasn't enough for you? The goodness of God leads to repentance. I doubt there's a one size fits all process. But it would all hinge on the revelation and personal experience of God's goodness.

By the way, according to the bible, anyone who does not love does not know God, so your question is actually moot.
No it wasn't enough. I don't turn my faith so easily based because of what I feel. Don't feel bad. No one that believes in universal salvation has been successful either. They have no answer or its my fault for asking the question or their answers are not unified. Thus this doctrine remains rejected.

However, your reference to scripture means that perhaps you can be pointed to the truth. "In a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus." 2 Thess 1:8. Not knowing love is not knowing God and the Bible says for such a person it is not salvation that God brings them. This doesn't mean there is eternal Hellfire but destruction. If a person wants nothing to do with God then God will not force them. But He must protect those who do.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 05-31-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 01:41 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Well done, Pleroo! It is impossible to know God if you do not love. Agape love and hate are incompatible as are fear and love.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No it wasn't enough. Don't feel bad. No one that believes in universal salvation has been successful either. They have no answer or its my fault for asking the question or their answers are not unified. Thus this doctrine remains rejected.
Ah yes, you seem very proud of yourself for rejecting the idea that the goodness of God (rather than something special about you, perhaps?) could possibly lead to salvation for those you deem unworthy. It's a happy day for you, I guess.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:53 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Even though your use of 1 Timothy 2:4-6 is misused out of context by using eisegesis in your interpretation. To answer the question...

If the belief of salvation for all were true no one would be upset with God because we'd all be lobotomized to feel whatever God tells us to feel. So no, I wouldn't be upset because I'd be a slave to instinct. Just as a dog doesn't have any ability to upset with the president of the United States over politics so it would be with those that live in a 'all saved' world. We'd just be God's pets. Alive but unable to understand the term 'alive'.
Actuallly, if the Salvation of all is true, God will chop off your head so you aren't tormented to see, hear or talk with those wicked sinners He saved all because Christ ransomed them.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:

However, your reference to scripture means that perhaps you can be pointed to the truth. "In a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus." 2 Thess 1:8. Not knowing love is not knowing God and the Bible says for such a person it is not salvation that God brings them.
Nope. I'm a hopeless case. Completely enamored with the lie that a good God who is love is capable of healing hearts without performing lobotomies. Probably headed straight to hell myself.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
No. It doesn't matter what I believe.
Correct. Anyone if free to believe whatever they want, and it won't change the outcome. You could try to argue it is unloving to say people will die, but the truth is that people will die. It is a fact of life. There is nothing loving or unloving about having an opinion. People will try to make it about you, arguing that your opinion unloving, while theirs is more "loving". It's not honest. So, would it be a loving thing to argue people will not die? I don't think so. It tickles the ears, that's all.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-31-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM

741 posts, read 444,902 times
Quote:
Ah yes, you seem very proud of yourself for rejecting the idea that the goodness of God (rather than something special about you, perhaps?) could possibly lead to salvation for those you deem unworthy. It's a happy day for you, I guess.
Actually I was hoping that you'd shed more light than others here. But like so many others, your feelings guide your beliefs and whatever makes you feel good is what you will believe. Yet look at the world. It's not more loving than ever. People are not accepting God more everyday. Truth is not based on what we feel. Gravity doesn't exist because we feel like it should.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Actually I was hoping that you'd shed more light than others here. But like so many others, your feelings guide your beliefs and whatever makes you feel good is what you will believe. Yet look at the world. It's not more loving than ever. People are not accepting God more everyday. Truth is not based on what we feel. Gravity doesn't exist because we feel like it should.
"The goodness of God leads to repentance" is a feeling? Huh. Okay. Works for me to let that feeling inform my view. What's informing your view? Faith that evil is greater than a good God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity