Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times

Advertisements

Can I chime in here? I was turned off to the word obidience during my time in the UPC churches. They abused it. Obidience in their opinion was not only doing what god says, but what they said also. They would go on and on about how we are to "obey" the church leadership even if we don't like it (even if the leadership was wrong) because god set it up that way. They would pull the ole "obidience is better than sacrifice" card if you argued with them. I understand the OP's feelings about it. I've often said..."what am I, a dog??!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Sometimes I have notice in my own life that you don't even realize it till the war in our minds is over. The war of that which has invaded our minds from either our flesh, the world, or the enemy, that Christ (the word) has cast it down the argument and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, that we know in our hearts, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.
That is why it is so important to be and get into His word letting it saturate our lives and become the very essence of our nature. Then we will see that we have become more then conquerers through Christ Jesus.
This is so true. The enemy battles our minds intensely, and he is an accuser of the brethren. It would do us all well to study the Book of Job very carefully so we are prepared when the enemy strikes. Also, as you alluded to, we need to have this scripture ready for use when the devil tries to battle our minds:

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; - 2 Corinthians 10:5

Jesus showed us how we can be victorious!

Many blessings!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Does love require obedience?
Does love command, or does it only ask?

I guess that people who believe that love could also be a reward for being obedient don't understand the concept of love at all.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
[quote=Raelyn28;12288006

I am really being honest here but for some reason I don't like the word "OBEDIENCE". It just sounds so commanding or controlling and I had a controlling mom... Alright now that I have been honest with you I am curious what does the Word "OBEDIENCE" mean for you???

I am interested in detailed definitions, links, etc.

Thanks,
Raelyn[/quote]

Hi. I think as Humans, we all struggle with this issue ; it kind of goes against the grain of our human nature to want to be in charge of what we do , how we think, and what decisions we make for ourselves. But, when we realize that we are so prone to messing up based on our feelings ... and God is so far above us in terms of wisdom .... it makes good sense to surrender OUR methods and ways and embrace his. The biggest reason of all for doing this, is, because his love for us is wrapped in absolute moral laws for our own protection and best life possible . Being obedient to God is our response to his great love for us , and, for truly wanting to make him the King of our lives instead of putting ourselves on the throne. It isnt something that comes easily, and typically takes some time ; but it is one of the best trusting experiences we can experience and has the benefit of a deeper and closer relationship with the Creator . It was not an easy thing for me to do, but I find as time goes on...it becomes easier and a blessing to boot. Hope that gives you a bit of insight. It all depends on how deep you want to go with God , and, how much you want your love for him to be solidified and confirmed. If youre willing, then he will help you in the transition. Regards.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I guess that people who believe that love could also be a reward for being obedient don't understand the concept of love at all.
Amen!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:50 AM

988 posts, read 1,902,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

On the other hand....

John 15:10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

And directly to the point:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, , and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Sounds conditional to me....

HK

Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
On the other hand....

John 15:10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, , and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

HK
Our love for God is demonstrated by our willingness to obey him , just like our salvation conversion is shown afterward thru the demonstration of doing good works / serving God / and serving others (a changed life) . Both examples are a confirmation of our sincerity . If One claims to love God but isnt willing to obey him and his moral mandates , then that Person only had a said-faith. In other words, its where the rubber meets the road.

Last edited by 007.5; 01-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Our love for God is demonstrated by our willingness to obey him , just like our salvation conversion is shown afterward thru the demonstration of doing good works / serving God / and serving others (a changed life) . Both examples are a confirmation of our sincerity . If One claims to love God but isnt willing to obey him and his moral mandates , then that Person only had a said-faith. In other words, its where the rubber meets the road.
This is better know as "Lip Service" or "The Cheap Grace Gospel".

Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp
Quote:

Let me counterquote:

1 Corinthians 13,1-13
Love
1 What if I could speak
all languages
of humans
and of angels?
If I did not love others,
I would be nothing more
than a noisy gong
or a clanging cymbal.

2 What if I could prophesy
and understand all secrets
and all knowledge?
And what if I had faith
that moved mountains?
I would be nothing,
unless I loved others.

3 What if I gave away all
that I owned
and let myself
be burned alive?
I would gain nothing,
unless I loved others.

4 Love is kind and patient,
never jealous, boastful,
proud, or 5 rude.
Love isn't selfish
or quick tempered.
It doesn't keep a record
of wrongs that others do.

6 Love rejoices in the truth,
but not in evil.

7 Love is always supportive,
loyal, hopeful,
and trusting.

8 Love never fails!

Everyone who prophesies
will stop,
and unknown languages
will no longer
be spoken.
All that we know
will be forgotten.

9 We don't know everything,
and our prophecies
are not complete.

10 But what is perfect
will someday appear,
and what isn't perfect
will then disappear.

11 When we were children,
we thought and reasoned
as children do.
But when we grew up,
we quit our childish ways.

12 Now all we can see of God
is like a cloudy picture
in a mirror.
Later we will see him
face to face.
We don't know everything,
but then we will,
just as God completely
understands us.

13 For now there are faith,
hope, and love.
But of these three,
the greatest is love.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post

Gasp - a light in the darkness.

HK

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity