Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times

Advertisements

My problem with obedience is the whole reward thing.
I mean people who only obey to end up in heaven aren't necessarily good people, right?
They don't help other because they need help, they only help others to get the reward (read: help themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,216,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Now I would see it as "works" oriented...not at all cheap grace. Interesting how we see the post as two separate issues.
I see nothing wrong with works, if your motives are pure...but there are many who offer lip service to God doing works to be seen by men (unpure motives). In the parable of the sheep and goats, we have two sets of believers (they both called Jesus Lord and had faith in him) but they are separated....why? The goats do NO WORKS OF CHARITY....did their faith alone save them?

Cheap Grace says my faith will save me and I don't have to do anything else....like obey God.....and I can live any way I want to because God doesn't see my sin.....this is a lie from the pit....but many are sucked in hook, line and sinker to their own destruction.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,995 times
Quote:

My love for Him is deep and true but for some reason I am getting the impression that I have to be perfect, if I make one false move He is displeased and if I do stumble, fall and become disobedient in one area I am in trouble with Him.

Where is the Grace in that type of thinking Honestly, some of these posts make me want to get closer to God while others make me want to run from God because I think I will never be able to please him, He is too demanding, so why bother trying anyway?

Not that I am going to stop trying because I have no where else to go but I do get confused by some of these answers that seem to be a contradiction to His Word.
Awwww..... Rae.... It makes my heart swell to see that you crave such a close relationship with our Father.
Just keep looking to Him as just that. Our Father.
He's a loving Father, so He doesn't expect perfection.
He's a forgiving Father, so don't over-worry about stumbling.
It is by His Grace that we are saved, so meditate on that Grace while you read and study His word.
Let the Holy Spirit fill your heart and make clear the heart of your Father.
Please don't stop trying, Rae....He's right there at the door of your Heart.
When He steps in and fills your heart, the answers that contradict His word will be even more glaringly apparent.

With all my love as a brother-in-Christ,
Rodney

Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,948,121 times
The only way into heaven is through the blood of Jesus, not works; however, works will be rewarded.

And finally, obedience in holy living is not works, but our reasonable service.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,151,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Awwww..... Rae.... It makes my heart swell to see that you crave such a close relationship with our Father.
Just keep looking to Him as just that. Our Father.
He's a loving Father, so He doesn't expect perfection.
He's a forgiving Father, so don't over-worry about stumbling.
It is by His Grace that we are saved, so meditate on that Grace while you read and study His word.
Let the Holy Spirit fill your heart and make clear the heart of your Father.
Please don't stop trying, Rae....He's right there at the door of your Heart.
When He steps in and fills your heart, the answers that contradict His word will be even more glaringly apparent.

With all my love as a brother-in-Christ,
Rodney
Once again, one of those posts that make my eyes tear up.. Thank you for your loving and kind post. I truly believe somewhere down the line and obviously my rigid upbringing didn''t help that I bought into a big fat lie. The lie was coming from well-meaning Christians that don't know what Grace is all about. The lie says "No matter what you do Raelyn it will never be good enough and you are a failure". Looking back over these posts and studying Scripture on obedience these past few days has shown me that I need to renew my mind in this area.

So last night I went to Michael's (craft store) and bought some really beautiful scrap book paper and spent a couple of hours on my computer printing out different Scriptures. I used different fonts and pretty colors and then I cut the scriptures out and pasted them on the paper that I bought. Now I have Scripture in various places in my home to renew my mind and encourage me.

I am also praying that this lie and "stronghold" would be broken in the Name of Jesus and according to His Grace and Truth.. I am believing in Him and Trusting that He will deliver me from this lifelong struggle that I have had and that I would truly KNOW the Love and Grace of our Lord. Then out of an overflowing of that Love my life would change.

The Bible says that Satan our adversary roams around like a roaring Lion looking for those whom he can devour. (I Peter 5:8) But he can only roar out lies when it comes to Gods children because his power was defeated on the cross with Christ. He is the father of lies and there is no truth in him at all!! So his stradegy is to get us to believe lies and we can overcome those lies with God's Word in our hearts.

Thank God that greater is He that is in me than him who is of the world..

Thank you my dear brother in the Lord for your encouragement, kind words and support. I appreciate it more than words can convey.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Gasp - a light in the darkness.

HK

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

A gasp in the darkness? This sounds sarcastic and judgmental Harold So you pray before you post here?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM

[quote=Harold Kupp;12332893]
Quote:

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

HK
Didn't Jesus come and die because he KNEW that it was impossible for man to keep these commandments? If man could keep the commandments therefore resulting in the righteousness of man then really Jesus's work on the cross was done for nothing?.
2 Corinthians 3:6 (Amplified Bible)

6[It is He] Who has qualified us [making us to be fit and worthy and sufficient] as ministers and dispensers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not [ministers] of the letter (of legally written code) but of the Spirit; for the code [of the Law] kills, but the [Holy] Spirit makes alive.(A)

Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The only way into heaven is through the blood of Jesus, not works; however, works will be rewarded.

And finally, obedience in holy living is not works, but our reasonable service.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1
I agree with you but we are in process and will never be complete until we face Jesus. There are too many Christians that are either black and white on this teaching. There is a balance and once again... I don't believe a true believer of Christ can go on in disobedience very long without getting very uncomfortable because he/she is grieving the Holy Spirit according the the Bible. I also believe that God disciplines those He loves and He disciplines in Love and not abusively...

Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I see nothing wrong with works, if your motives are pure...but there are many who offer lip service to God doing works to be seen by men (unpure motives). In the parable of the sheep and goats, we have two sets of believers (they both called Jesus Lord and had faith in him) but they are separated....why? The goats do NO WORKS OF CHARITY....did their faith alone save them?

Cheap Grace says my faith will save me and I don't have to do anything else....like obey God.....and I can live any way I want to because God doesn't see my sin.....this is a lie from the pit....but many are sucked in hook, line and sinker to their own destruction.
I think there is a fine line between cheap grace and works.. It is a balance which is something that is hard to obtain in Christianity or anything in life for that matter. Thanks for sharing.. I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,899 times
[quote=Raelyn28;12344868][quote=Harold Kupp;12332893]

Didn't Jesus come and die because he KNEW that it was impossible for man to keep these commandments? If man could keep the commandments therefore resulting in the righteousness of man then really Jesus's work on the cross was done for nothing?.
2 Corinthians 3:6 (Amplified Bible)

That is the modern Christian wisdom (read - propaganda) If you want the truth listen to the apostle:

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

If it was impossible to keep God's commandments then John is speaking nonsense.

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

So, ask the people who taught you that it was impossible to keep God's commandments if they keep them. Obviously they would say "No". The conclusion is equally obvious.

HK

Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity