Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,151,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
On the other hand....

John 15:10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

And directly to the point:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, , and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Sounds conditional to me....

HK
No offense Harold and I am sorry if I seem negative...I don't mean to be that way. Your posts seem backwards to me. Don't we love because He first loved us? Isn't His Love for us the reason why we serve Him, call Him Lord and everything that follows? The Bible says that Love is the greatest... God is Love period. For some reason your posts make me think that we have to do something first in order to get God's Love and that sounds works oriented to me.. Kind of the same thing that the Scribes and Pharisees were doing in the time of Jesus

Share with me if I am misunderstanding your references on this quote...I think I posted on this somewhere else on the forum but I can't find it now. I have read some of your other posts though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,717 times
I believe that we need to continue seeking God's Love. The more love of God we have in our soul we are naturally drawn to being obedient ...in the sense that the less likely we would want to do something not in nature with Gods Laws....we are not perfect and God knows that. We can however progress closer to God. Two steps forward and one step back. Three steps forward and one step back and so on.

I believe that we need to focus more on our direct relationship with God and not sweat the small stuff that can deter us and become distractions.

Obedience is so much more than showing up to church on Sunday mornings, tithing, following the commandments as best as you can. Obedience is about taking the "time" in your life to set aside everything and spend time with God.

Even taking forum debate time and turning that time into time with God

Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I believe that we need to continue seeking God's Love. The more love of God we have in our soul we are naturally drawn to being obedient ...in the sense that the less likely we would want to do something not in nature with Gods Laws....we are not perfect and God knows that. We can however progress closer to God. Two steps forward and one step back. Three steps forward and one step back and so on.

I believe that we need to focus more on our direct relationship with God and not sweat the small stuff that can deter us and become distractions.

Obedience is so much more than showing up to church on Sunday mornings, tithing, following the commandments as best as you can. Obedience is about taking the "time" in your life to set aside everything and spend time with God.

Even taking forum debate time and turning that time into time with God
I like this and it is something that draws me to God, make me want to open my Bible and spend time with God's people.. My spirit bares witness to this.. Thank you... I would like to hear your testimony if you have time to share.. Godbless.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,431,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I keep hearing the word "OBEDIENCE" everywhere I turn anymore. Truthfully and honestly I realize it is a Christian word and it is in the Bible many times, however the word always makes me think of some training class for dogs or something. I guess what I am saying is the word sounds harsh to me. Through the years I have often had the word used by well-meaning but judgmental Christians in a negative kind of condemning way.

Please don't get me wrong, I understand that we have to do the things God is telling us to do and I am not against that. God has a blueprint for our lives and if we don't listen we suffer consequences. He knows us best and we need to follow Him if we desire all His blessings. I believe it is sin to rebel against God.

I am really being honest here but for some reason I don't like the word "OBEDIENCE". It just sounds so commanding or controlling and I had a controlling mom... Alright now that I have been honest with you I am curious what does the Word "OBEDIENCE" mean for you???

I am interested in detailed definitions, links, etc.

Thanks,
Raelyn
Then change the word in your head. Just read the Bible and do what it says. God isn't making you clean your room. By obedience, it just means reading his word and doing what it says.

Is there something in the Bible that you object to and don't want to obey? Or are you just determined not to be controlled? If you're more concerned with the word obedience, you need to do some deep soul searching.

God isn't cracking a whip over our heads. We have a choice of how to behave. Obedience is doing the right thing.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Then change the word in your head. Just read the Bible and do what it says. God isn't making you clean your room. By obedience, it just means reading his word and doing what it says.

Is there something in the Bible that you object to and don't want to obey? Or are you just determined not to be controlled? If you're more concerned with the word obedience, you need to do some deep soul searching.

God isn't cracking a whip over our heads. We have a choice of how to behave. Obedience is doing the right thing.
I like this and yes, it is the whole idea of being controlled. I don't do well with the control thing because of my background. I was actually a victim of rape not once but three times and have had some REALLY bad things happen to me.

There really isn't anything in the Bible that I have a problem with doing. And I believe after reading all these awesome responses that I need to do a study on the subject of Obedience because I don't think I understand it as God wants me to.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This is better know as "Lip Service" or "The Cheap Grace Gospel".
Now I would see it as "works" oriented...not at all cheap grace. Interesting how we see the post as two separate issues.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Gasp - a light in the darkness.

HK

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
What commandments? The thief on the cross was promised to be with Jesus in Paradise and he was hanging on the cross being crucified. So how could he have kept any commandments. Just curious??

There are Christians at different stages of faith, maturity and growth. Different believers with different backgrounds. Some had Christian backgrounds, others didn't. Don't we grow in grace and knowledge and learn how to be obedient at different levels in our own particular situations?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
No offense Harold and I am sorry if I seem negative...I don't mean to be that way. Your posts seem backwards to me. Don't we love because He first loved us? Isn't His Love for us the reason why we serve Him, call Him Lord and everything that follows? The Bible says that Love is the greatest... God is Love period. For some reason your posts make me think that we have to do something first in order to get God's Love and that sounds works oriented to me.. Kind of the same thing that the Scribes and Pharisees were doing in the time of Jesus

Share with me if I am misunderstanding your references on this quote...I think I posted on this somewhere else on the forum but I can't find it now. I have read some of your other posts though...

The verses speak for themselves. The problem is you have been programed to think in such a way that you are certain they cannot meant what they say...right?

John 15:10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, , and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

HK

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,899 times
[quote=Raelyn28;12332139]
Quote:
What commandments?

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

HK

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM

[quote=Harold Kupp;12332865]The verses speak for themselves. The problem is you have been programed to think in such a way that you are certain they cannot meant what they say...right?

No, I believe they mean what they say Harold.. but what commandments are we talking about? And what commandment did the thief on the cross follow. Just wondering?

And what about the Bible verse that says that Jesus died for us while we were sinners... What commandment are they following?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity