Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
In 1967 Marriott Corp. bought the Bob's Big Boy chain and the rights to the Big Boy trademark. Why they did this I have no idea as nothing was a fit for their business concept.
Frisch's may have had a concept that worked well in the 50's and 60's but by the 70s, it grew stale. Even if they could expand out of their current area in the coming years, they don't have a concept that will do very well.

Big Boy was one of several concepts that were purchased or developed by Marriott Restaurant operations. Besides the organically grown Hot Shoppes Cafeteria, they purchased Big Boy. They developed the Roy Rogers chain (of which Frisch's was a franchisee). They purchased and expanded the Farrell's Ice Cream chain, purchased the Wag's chain from Walgreen's. In the 80s, they were in the process of developing another chain.

The thing about restaurants is that they are capital intensive. As the younger generation of the Marriott family took over, they decided to divest of the restaurant operations to build hotels. They could build hotels, sell them off to third parties and sign long-term management contracts on the hotels. Although there were a few glitches, Marriott has grown immensely despite divesting cruise ships, amusement parks, contact food service operations, airline catering, and restaurant chains. In the same period, Frisch's has lost units.

For the record, I was offered several management positions with Frisch's in Cincinnati over the years. However, I moved to Bethesda with Marriott. They offered a lot more money, much better benefits, and a lot more opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Speaking of Marriott restaurants, there is one old remaining Roy Rogers near Cincinatti, with its original 70s style decor. They have always had very good roast beef, better than Arby's, as well as fried chicken and burgers. Plus a fixins bar. They were ruined by a failed Hardees conversion and are now slowly rebuilding in Virginia and Maryland. Would like to see both Roy's and Big Boy make a comeback.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Frisch's has admittedly shrunk in size. At one time they were over 200 restaurants, with operations in Florida (closed in the 1990s), and far-flung places such as Oklahoma and Texas. Currently there are still over 90 Frisch's Big Boys plus the Golden Corral franchises they operate in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

I give them a lot of credit for perservering through a multitude of changes in the industry and still being a Cincinnati company we can be proud of.
Speaking of Frisch's, there is a new one on North Fairfield Rd in Beavercreek up in the Dayton suburbs. I was a bit surprised, because, as you said, the chain seemed to be shrinking. The store is actually quite nice (probably because it is new), with a 1950's or early '60s style decor. The only other two stores I know of in the area are near Wright State and on Main Street in Xenia, though I am sure there are a few others around. My guess would be Dayton Mall area and perhaps around Miller Lane in Butler Township.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Speaking of Frisch's, there is a new one on North Fairfield Rd in Beavercreek up in the Dayton suburbs. I was a bit surprised, because, as you said, the chain seemed to be shrinking. The store is actually quite nice (probably because it is new), with a 1950's or early '60s style decor. The only other two stores I know of in the area are near Wright State and on Main Street in Xenia, though I am sure there are a few others around. My guess would be Dayton Mall area and perhaps around Miller Lane in Butler Township.
There's a new Frisch's on the site of the former Bob Evans in Monfort Heights. It looks like a prime location as far as being close to I-74 and the new hospital.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
There's a new Frisch's on the site of the former Bob Evans in Monfort Heights. It looks like a prime location as far as being close to I-74 and the new hospital.
Frisch's is fighting back. I feel their concept of actually serving dine-in food on dishware instead of in bags may be coming back into vogue. It is more of a coffee shop than a pure fast food. Haven't tried their latest non-beef burger offerings yet. But to me it is another sign of trying to survey the changing market.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Will you guys make a new thread about Frischs? I keep looking for updates about Chiquita but get this instead.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Will you guys make a new thread about Frischs? I keep looking for updates about Chiquita but get this instead.
I'm not sure there are any updates to be had on Chiquita, until they make their decision. There's no doubt that CVG is hindering Chiquita big time. Here's hoping that their CEO, who is a huge Reds fan, will keep his business here. A new airline or two wouldn't hurt though.

Has anyone else heard the rumors that Southwest may be seriously looking at CVG for 2012? I'm not sure how that airline would impact Chiquita, but it would be a big boost for the city/region.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^ Here's hoping, abr7rmj. In just a few short years (THANKS, Delta!) CVG has turned into one of the greatest business nightmares in metro-Cincinnati--and no easy "solution" anywhere in the near future. (Once again... THANKS, Delta!)

Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Here's hoping, abr7rmj. In just a few short years (THANKS, Delta!) CVG has turned into one of the greatest business nightmares in metro-Cincinnati--and no easy "solution" anywhere in the near future. (Once again... THANKS, Delta!)
The infrastructure at CVG is certainly in place, and it's ready to go. It would seem that Cincinnati is a ready-made hub for some airline out there that wants to establish an eastern/lower midwest hub.

America West maybe? Southwest? Frontier?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
... Has anyone else heard the rumors that Southwest may be seriously looking at CVG for 2012? I'm not sure how that airline would impact Chiquita, but it would be a big boost for the city/region.
Sure hope they (the rumors) are well founded... Let Southwest and others come to CVG -- and if Delta does anything to discourage it, CVG should SUE THE PANTS off of them for monopolistic anti-competitive practices!

I am tired of driving to Dayton everytime I want to travel by air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati