Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
If you understand the topic, you wouldn't have to ask as to what year do we use as a starting point. 99% of the time when a census stat is read, it is compared to the previous years.

Well then, we don't know, since there hasn't been another census, the last one was in 2000 and at that time a loss in population was declared. A loss of 9% from the last census (1990). The 2007 ESTIMATE is that Cincinnati has gained 0.4%, but that not a census, it is an ESTIMATE.

To answer your question, we really won't know until 2010, will we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Well then, we don't know, since there hasn't been another census, the last one was in 2000 and at that time a loss in population was declared. A loss of 9% from the last census (1990). The 2007 ESTIMATE is that Cincinnati has gained 0.4%, but that not a census, it is an ESTIMATE.

To answer your question, we really won't know until 2010, will we?
Let me google that for you

Old 01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

btw, you do know that every count is an estimate, right? Did they knock on your door? They didn't mine and I don't think that's very fair!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
btw, you do know that every count is an estimate, right? Did they knock on your door? They didn't mine and I don't think that's very fair!
Of course, but a mid-census guess/estimate is vastly different from an official census, educated/scientific estimate.

No census can be absolutely correct, but it seems they paint a decently solid picture, at least in some regards.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Of course, but a mid-census guess/estimate is vastly different from an official census, educated/scientific estimate.

No census can be absolutely correct, but it seems they paint a decently solid picture, at least in some regards.
Actually, they don't.

If you were here about 6 months ago you would've read the links that I posted how census workers were the laughing stock of the technology world. There were nothing but miscounts. They decided to go back to pencil and paper because of this.

There wasn't anything solid about how our previous census workers counted.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Actually, they don't.

If you were here about 6 months ago you would've read the links that I posted how census workers were the laughing stock of the technology world. There were nothing but miscounts. They decided to go back to pencil and paper because of this.

There wasn't anything solid about how our previous census workers counted.

Historically the census has been fairly accurate. Maybe the recent problems have something to do with the quality of modern government employees?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
Quote:
Historically the census has been fairly accurate. Maybe the recent problems have something to do with the quality of modern government employees?
To do the revision, the city provided the actual number of building permits issued, vacant building licenses, and demolition permits.

"Historically the census has been fairly accurate" Compared to what?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
To do the revision, the city provided the actual number of building permits issued, vacant building licenses, and demolition permits.

"Historically the census has been fairly accurate" Compared to what?
To when they simply pulled numbers out of their butt.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 AM

4 posts, read 8,364 times
Default cincinnati is the best life

i grew up in forrest park area and then moved to the price hill area. its been very beneficail. growing up in a lower class neighborhood teaches you how to 'hold your own', 'stay on ur toes' and mostly how to watch ur back. i current;y am 18, living in florida, and i see these stupid kids running around, knowin nothing in life except 'my mommy and daddy will protect me'. im not gonna go out and say i grew up in the hood, cuz i didnt. i grew up in a lower class neighborhood. i wish i could put these kids (and their parents) in my old home and see wat they would do. Cincy rise talkin bout his wife is a perfect example of why ppl should grow up like me. shes a 95 lb woman, but could protect hillside cuz (s)he isnt raised like we were. remember the roits in 01? haha these floridians woulda **** themselves. and by the way, the roits were not blk vs wht. it was the hood vs the police.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftte27 View Post
and by the way, the roits were not blk vs wht. it was the hood vs the police.
I think that ship has sailed. Michelle Malkin, put it this way:

Cincinnati Under Siege: Yawning at Black-On-White Violence

by Michelle Malkin (April 14, 2001)
Cincinnati is burning. Does anyone care?
This mid-Western city has been under siege since Monday, its downtown and surrounding suburbs overrun by black demonstrators targeting innocent white bystanders and businesses. Roving thugs have looted dozens of white-owned shops, burned down several buildings, and vandalized police precincts, and firestations. City Hall, which had 28 windows smashed to bits on Monday night, is under lockdown. So is the Cincinnati police headquarters, where an American flag was pulled down from its flagpole and hung upside down.
CNN, which downplayed the violent rampage as a "disturbance," failed to mention the rampant outbreak of black-on-white hate crimes. Members of the radical New Black Panther Party swarmed the streets; rioters donned masks or gangster-type bandanas. Sympathizers laughed and cheered, waving signs with racial pride slogans like "Honk if you're black" while white citizens feared for their lives.
On Wednesday night, the violence escalated. A black rioter shot a cop, who escaped harm when his belt buckle blocked the bullet. A white female motorist in one of the city's neighborhoods was not so fortunate. According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, a mob of black youths stopped the woman's car and dragged her into the street, beating her until other neighborhood residents rescued her. She was "busted up," a witness said.
She was not the only one. In multiple scenes reminiscent of the brutal attack on white truck driver Reginald Denny during the 1992 Los Angeles riots, black Cincinnati rioters beat and bloodied white motorists. The assailants hurled cement bricks at their victims as they drove by, and used baseball bats and bottles to damage their cars. WCPO-TV reports that "Protesters pulled several drivers out of their cars and hit them and their vehicles with bricks, rocks and glass."
The ongoing violence originally stemmed from anger over a recent police shooting of an unarmed black man. Every needless death is a tragedy. But instead of waiting for an investigation to establish the facts, hundreds of residents used the incident as an excuse to wage a full-scale race riot. The mother of the police shooting victim pleaded for peace. Nobody listened. "It was a night of white terror," said Leah Sweeney-Spurrier, who lives and works in downtown Cincinnati. "It turned from a police issue to a black-white issue."
As is typical of cowering politicians more worried about public relations than public safety, Cincinnati's public officials failed to quell the race-based violence immediately. Instead, a city spokeswoman went on national TV to tout the fact that they were "showing restraint" and "allowing citizens to vent their frustration."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati