Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i have no family or friends connection to either (except fairly close to n.y.c.); but, both seem to come up fairly often in conversation and television i choose to watch.

are you really saying that independence, mo has the same mind-share as n.y.c., ny in the united states ?thats surprising. thanks for sharing.
No, what I'm saying is that I don't think or hear about NY or ATL everyday, which is what you said...

For starters, in California, where over 2.1 million b lk acks reside, you very rarely hear about NY, period. Atlanta has more importance to black Californians, but we don't hear about Atlanta everyday, either...

In Virginia, I would say we hear about NY more, but not all the time. In NC, it really depends where you are, you hear about both pretty equally and regularly, but you aren't consumed with either...

I think the error in your comment is assuming that if there is a "black capital", it has to be a place where blacks feel some connection to (that's what you inferred). I would say there are multiple large urban areas where blacks feel drawn to (as I stated earlier), but I don't think any of those areas are always in the black consciousness overall. It's always about location...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:22 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
No, what I'm saying is that I don't think or hear about NY or ATL everyday, which is what you said...

For starters, in California, where over 2.1 million b lk acks reside, you very rarely hear about NY, period. Atlanta has more importance to black Californians, but we don't hear about Atlanta everyday, either...

In Virginia, I would say we hear about NY more, but not all the time. In NC, it really depends where you are, you hear about both pretty equally and regularly, but you aren't consumed with either...

I think the error in your comment is assuming that if there is a "black capital", it has to be a place where blacks feel some connection to (that's what you inferred). I would say there are multiple large urban areas where blacks feel drawn to (as I stated earlier), but I don't think any of those areas are always in the black consciousness overall. It's always about location...
i happen to be listening to a calypso radio station yesterday but they have a throwback rap show on sundays. they happen to play an old bad boy song where they big-up harlam.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i happen to be listening to a calypso radio station yesterday but they have a throwback rap show on sundays. they happen to play an old bad boy song where they big-up harlam.
Okay? Lol the throwback hip hop stations in California are extraordinarily West Coast centric and you may never hear a throwback NY record...

Old 10-29-2018, 06:44 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
^ c'est vrai.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Lol, nah you haven't lost your Black card. Honestly football classics aren't quite as well known as homecomings overall as they tend to be more local/regional events and played on neutral ground, but Magic City Classic and Bayou Classic are exceptions, especially when it comes to attendance at the actual games themselves--which is the actual highlight. For homecomings, the football game is just one of several events and is played on campus.

Morehouse and Spelman, as sibling institutions, always hold their homecomings on the same weekend which makes sense when you think about the sporting and social events homecomings are known for.

As for Black Northerners, I guess y'all have Lincoln and Cheney in PA and Wilberforce in OH but I don't have a clue how well-attended their homecomings are. Howard's is gonna be as close and good as it gets for the Northeast and Morgan's homecoming in Baltimore is pretty solid. Delaware State is up that way but I don't know much about them. I don't know what to say to the Black Midwesterners lol.
They go to Wilberforce or Central State across the street. There is also Harris-Stowe in St. Louis and Lincoln University in Jefferson City MO. Harris-Stowe State University: HSSU 2018 HOMECOMING SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

https://www.lincolnu.edu/web/homecoming/homecoming

NYC used to have the Urban League Football Classic and Indianapolis has the Circle City Classic. http://www.circlecityclassic.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 02:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now I wouldn't go THAT far. FAMU, NC A&T, and SpelHouse homecomings are just as big as Howard's or maybe even bigger some years. Howard's is in the top tier no doubt but there's hardly a consensus that it's *the* largest. And although it's not a homecoming, you can't discount Magic City Classic which draws pretty big crowds.
Are we talking about the amount of events going on across the cities? If so, what city has more events, parties, clubs etc. etc. going on compared to DC during Howard's homecoming? What city being discussed even has as many clubs, bars, or nightlife districts to compare to DC for an event like this? Almost every club in D.C. has an event during Howard's homecoming.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:26 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
From my understanding talking to people that’s been to The Bayou Classic, New Orleans is also like this. In fact, this was the event people in that part of the country went to. Plenty of parties in a city that parties harder than DC leading up to this game. Now I don’t know if its fair and all to compare a game to homecoming. But NO I’ve heard is pretty wild during that weekend. I don’t know about atlanta, though.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:46 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are we talking about the amount of events going on across the cities? If so, what city has more events, parties, clubs etc. etc. going on compared to DC during Howard's homecoming? What city being discussed even has as many clubs, bars, or nightlife districts to compare to DC for an event like this? Almost every club in D.C. has an event during Howard's homecoming.
You said "largest" so I thought you were referring to attendance figures.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 PM

This board is hilarious; brothers always think that where they live has the only stuff going on lmao...

There are places you go where nobody black even knows about Howard homecoming. It is one of the more esteemed, but I think East Coasters in general have an inflated sense of importance. Some of the recent comments in respect to Howard homecoming attest to this...

There are multiple black urban centers, I wouldn't say "capital". But there isn't just one or two, and all of them offer variants of much of the same thing...

Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I ask in all sincerity and no sarcasm, but was Seattle included in this poll as a joke?

Also asking in all sincerity and no sarcasm, if it was not included as a joke, why Seattle and not Salt Lake City, Boise or Minneapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City