Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
See what i mean. For all that u can make a case for the whole nyc having a rat problem its not just the Bronx. But there isnt any part of the bronx worst than the worst parts of new jersey. I dont live in a part of the bronx that has to worry about poverty rates or babies getting stuck with HIV needles. Ne jersey should be the last place mentioning to anyone about a stigma. I could go for hours with that.

"and the babies being pricked with dirty HIV needles in local clincs"

come on.. really? lol These are the good guys people in this thread are siding with. And me and jobber are the ignorant ones?
You're the one that repped me a while back for defending and admiring the Bronx.... I'm just giving you a dose of your own medicine- But your spitting it out like diarrhea, why can't you figure yourself out?

"if u like the bx the best..your alright in my book god bless u"
... A rep point FROM YOU from the thread "NYC: Bronx VS Queens VS Brooklyn"
If it wasn't for your overbearing obsession with loving to hate NJ- You'd actually wouldn't be so quick to judge me as a NJian... But unfortunately, you're mental.

Yes, you and Jobber are IGNORANT posters- It's unhealthy to go to such great lengths in belittling a place, you're both obviously insecure about something (plus, your grammar and punctuation is atrocious). Why don't you just take our word for it and spare us the your presence. The "General US/City V City" forum is basically where you both spill your guts out to NJ.

And lol at you thinking you could possibly be the good guy.
I at least have a positive reputation on these forums from people all over.. You however have more haters than anything else.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-08-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
^^^^ BAWHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one from New Jersey is trying to move to the Bronx. Be serious.
However, there are plenty of people in the Bronx saving & scraping together money hoping to buy a house in a good school district in New Jersey. I've seen it with my own eyes.

I know that makes you feel bad on the inside, but it's the truth.
If you grew up in a nice neighborhood in New Jersey, having to move to the Bronx is seen as a failure in life.
This isn't really true.

Just as there are lots of New Yorkers moving to Jersey, there are lots of Jerseyans moving to NYC. I see tons of them all time, especially 20-somethings.

And yes, some move to the Bronx. There's a big arts community in the Bronx nowadays, especially around Mott Haven.

Anyone who thinks that someone who moves to the Bronx is "a failure in life" is being ridiculous. A person with such negative and judgmental thoughts should be pitied.

Personally I would prefer to live in the Bronx than in some soulless suburb. Any soulless suburb. I don't care which state.

The folks who are scraping money for a better school district is one type of family. There are also suburban folks scraping money to move to the Big City. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM

And a general point about this thread-

ANY New Yorker who mindlessly bashes Jersey is clueless.

ANY New Jerseyan who mindless bashes NY is clueless.

It's the same region, folks. We're in this together. Connecticut too, arguably.

There are more similarities than differences between NY and NJ. Both states have very similar positives and negatives.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
there are lots of Jerseyans moving to NYC. I see tons of them all time, especially 20-somethings.

And yes, some move to the Bronx. There's a big arts community in the Bronx nowadays, especially around Mott Haven.

Anyone who thinks that someone who moves to the Bronx is "a failure in life" is being ridiculous. A person with such negative and judgmental thoughts should be pitied.

Personally I would prefer to live in the Bronx than in some soulless suburb. Any soulless suburb. I don't care which state.
Do you know any personally who moved to the Bronx? I don't................. Honestly.
I know plenty of people who moved to NYC, not one to the Bronx.

And don't give me that artist community crap, they have one of those in Newark & every other urban area in America. Regardless of what the NY media tells you; art is not exclusive to NYC.

What I see is people who claw there way way out of the Bronx into nice (walkable) suburbs in North Jersey everyday.

Now go ahead & tell me my personal experience is a lie. Please tell me what I see.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Do you know any personally who moved to the Bronx? I don't................. Honestly.
I know plenty of people who moved to NYC, not one to the Bronx.
Yes, I have been to loft parties in the South Bronx. There are thousands of folks living in lofts in Mott Haven. Bjork (the singer) showed up at one of these parties (on roller skates, no less).

And these lofts generally start at around $1,600 or so. They aren't cheap.

And I have a friend who makes around 100k and he recently bought a 2 bedroom art deco condo in the South Bronx along the Grand Concourse. His building has lots of young former Manhattanites who moved there for the cheaper prices and creative community.
Quote:
And don't give me that artist community crap, they have one of those in Newark & every other urban area in America. Regardless of what the NY media tells you; art is not exclusive to NYC.
Yeah, I know there is a creative community in Newark. But the Bronx has a major creative community; one of the largest in the nation.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "artist community crap". Creative folks can transform entire cities. Ever been to Berlin?

The East Village and Lower East Side were both dumps until creative types revitalized them in the 1980's and 1990's. Similarly, Williamsburg, Brooklyn was a dump until creative types revitalized them in more recent years. Now you see the same thing happening in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and, to a lesser extent, the South Bronx.

Quote:
What I see is people who claw there way way out of the Bronx into nice (walkable) suburbs in North Jersey everyday.

Now go ahead & tell me my personal experience is a lie. Please tell me what I see.
No, your personal expeience is true. But my personal experience is true too.

Keep in mind that different folks have different preferences. Some folks want a gritty loft. Some want a leafy, walkable suburb. Some want Manhattan. Some want a McMansion.

I can tell you that in my demographic (late 20's-early 30's professionals working in Manhattan) most folks seem to prefer urban lifestyles over suburban lifestyles, and I know tons of folks living in gritty neighborhoods, including the South Bronx.

I think the older generation has certain stigmas about certain neighborhoods, but younger folks aren't burdened by the past as much. Take Bed Stuy, Brooklyn. Older folks (like my parents) were shocked to see the positive changes in Bed Stuy. They couldn't believe their eyes. Cafes, boutiques, million-dollar brownstones. Could this be "Do or Die Bed Stuy"?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Yes, I have been to loft parties in the South Bronx. There are thousands of folks living in lofts in Mott Haven. Bjork (the singer) showed up at one of these parties (on roller skates, no less).

And these lofts generally start at around $1,600 or so. They aren't cheap.

And I have a friend who makes around 100k and he recently bought a 2 bedroom art deco condo in the South Bronx along the Grand Concourse. His building has lots of young former Manhattanites who moved there for the cheaper prices and creative community.

I said New Jersey................. Come on man. Keep up if you want to respond.
This guy is acting like NJ is dying to move to the Bronx; Not true.

Yeah, I know there is a creative community in Newark. But the Bronx has a major creative community; one of the largest in the nation.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "artist community crap". Creative folks can transform entire cities. Ever been to Berlin?

The East Village and Lower East Side were both dumps until creative types revitalized them in the 1980's and 1990's. Similarly, Williamsburg, Brooklyn was a dump until creative types revitalized them in more recent years. Now you see the same thing happening in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and, to a lesser extent, the South Bronx.

My point was they have those everywhere with cheap rent & spacious lofts. It's not that unique.

No, your personal expeience is true. But my personal experience is true too.

Keep in mind that different folks have different preferences. Some folks want a gritty loft. Some want a leafy, walkable suburb. Some want Manhattan. Some want a McMansion.

I can tell you that in my demographic (late 20's-early 30's professionals working in Manhattan) most folks seem to prefer urban lifestyles over suburban lifestyles, and I know tons of folks living in gritty neighborhoods, including the South Bronx.

I think the older generation has certain stigmas about certain neighborhoods, but younger folks aren't burdened by the past as much. Take Bed Stuy, Brooklyn. Older folks (like my parents) were shocked to see the positive changes in Bed Stuy. They couldn't believe their eyes. Cafes, boutiques, million-dollar brownstones. Could this be "Do or Die Bed Stuy"?
That's great. I fully understand the re interest in urban living (don't treat me like an A hole). I lived in Jersey City for many, many years.
However........................ What I see is very little in the way of New Jersey to the Bronx migration (and much in the other direction). That's the truth & my ultimate point in regard to KONY. Why you decided to take up his cause is beyond me.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That's great. I fully understand the re interest in urban living (don't treat me like an A hole). I lived in Jersey City for many, many years.
However........................ What I see is very little in the way of New Jersey to the Bronx migration (and much in the other direction). That's the truth & my ultimate point in regard to KONY. Why you decided to take up his cause is beyond me.
I don't agree with KONY; I generally agree with you.

And yes, there are almost certainly more folks moving from the Bronx to NJ than vice-versa.

But there are also lots of young folks who leave college and grad school and move to urban areas. They're present in large, growing numbers in certain parts of the South Bronx.

It's a new trend, but it's definitely real. It's basically like Williamsburg 15 years ago, or the East Village 25 years ago.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Basically but it seems people who dont live in this city know it better than us
Sorry, I live in Manhattan and my roommate was born and raised here with about four generations rooted in Manhattan. Outer boroughs is outer boroughs. You live in the outer boroughs so it doesn't matter what you say (pretty much what I've heard from several native Manhattanites).

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Doesn't the Bronx have more rats than people?
Maybe with the highest poverty rates in the nation, highest obesity rates in NYC, and babies being pricked with dirty HIV needles in local clincs- The Bronx stigma has rubbed off on you, so you turn around (literally) and focus on NJ's "bad stigma"

...and all this from the guy living in NEWARK, NJ ? ROTFL

Last edited by jobber23; 12-09-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Do you mean those people who left $5m houses in Riverdale in the Bronx for those beautiful walkable neighborhoods in Newark, Irvington or East Orange??? How about Garfield or Lodi? ROTFL

Too many generalizations here. Bronx is not as bad as NJ tries to picture it (look up Riverdale for instance) and in the same time North Jersey is not as all clean and nice as they try to say. Anyone who ever spent time in North Jersey knows that outside of a narrow stretch right on the Hudson River it is all CAR COUNTRY and besides a few exceptions, like JC or Hoboken, most of it is not pedestrian/public transportation friendly. Try moving to towns like Garfield, West New York, North Alrlington, Bayonne, East Rutherford, Clifton, Englewood or Alpine w/o a car. Yes you will find ways to commute to the city but not much in terms of moving around using public transportation.

That's what angers me about the New Jerseyans here. They use a small part of North Jersey like Hoboken and parts of Jersey City to persuade everybody that the entire North Jersey or Bergen and Hudson counties are urban and pedestrian friendly. I know New Jersey, have many friends living there so I know that in most of New Jersey a CAR is a MUST.
Yes you can walk in your nice neighborhood in Alpine, Clifton or Edgewater but to get milk or cigarattes or even get to the bus or train you have to drive. You can call those neighborhoods walkable only if you mean being able to walk your dog but not much in terms of using your own legs to get around. That's what walkable means for me not simple existance of sidewalks nobody ever uses since NOTHING is close by.

For me this is one of the major differences between NYC and New Jersey.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-09-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City