Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I really like DC and I think this would be great for the city; but Projections and Reality are two different things. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
I agree, we will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well again even if the 50K are added to the area the overall density of the downtown would still be ~1/3rd that of Center City, so even if every single new resident is in that space it has quite a distance still to go to close the density vibrancy gap - but looks to be an improvement overall for DC
D.C. would have to have 400,000 people living downtown to equal the population density of center city because center city is so tiny at 25% of D.C.'s downtown. When the new downtown is done south of the mall, center city will be 10% the size of downtown D.C. Downtown D.C. would have to have a population of 800,000 to equal the population density of center city. I would rather have an enormous downtown with multiple booming area's than a 5 block radius downtown for a whole city but that is just my preference. Manhattan has a ton of dead area's and so does D.C. It is very common in downtown's the size of D.C. and Manhattan. That is why we have multiple 3 block radius entertainment centers in multiple places downtown.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. would have to have 400,000 people living downtown to equal the population density of center city because center city is so tiny at 25% of D.C.'s downtown. When the new downtown is done south of the mall, center city will be 10% the size of downtown D.C. Downtown D.C. would have to have a population of 800,000 to equal the population density of center city. I would rather have an enormous downtown with multiple booming area's than a 5 block radius downtown for a whole city but that is just my preference. Manhattan has a ton of dead area's and so does D.C. It is very common in downtown's the size of D.C. and Manhattan. That is why we have multiple 3 block radius entertainment centers in multiple places downtown.

That is very hard to believe especially considering the city has 600K in total, so the rest of the city is basically 1,000 ppsm, sure didnt feel that way to me when I lived in the district, many great and vibrant neighborhoods outside of DC, but the whole DC downtown with a population density close to Rittenhouse, sign me up, or maybe the numbers just dont jive...

Plus 5 blocks?, you do realize that Center City is ~ 200 square blocks 10 blocks by 20 blocks, the vast majority of which maintains consistent and continuous vibrancy

Granted this report is from 2005 and uses many data now ten years old but you are telling me 1600% increase

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf

Some other good perspective actually in this thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...mployment.html

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-25-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That is very hard to believe

Plus 5 blocks?, you do realize that Center City is ~ 200 square blocks 10 blocks by 20 blocks, the vast majority of which maintains consistent and continuous vibrancy

Granted this report is from 2005 and uses many data now ten years old but you are telling me 1600% increase

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf

Some other good perspective actually in this thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...mployment.html
I was just going by the look at street level. I mean, if you want to include 200 blocks for center city in Philly of two and three story buildings mixed with taller buildings as your downtown, I guess D.C.'s downtown goes clear to Columbia Heights. Every city can say their downtown stops here or there but by standards of urban canyons, it stops at 5 blocks. I'm not trying to put down center city, I'm just judging it by eye view. I just can't see how 2 and 3 story buildings can be called downtown but if that is what you guys are used to that's fine.

On a side note, many area's in D.C. around the CBD are not included in the official downtown but when you are in D.C. there is no imaginary line. You can't tell what is included and what isn't because D.C. is a city of apartment high rises instead of mainly row houses and you have been to D.C. so you know this. Then you have Rosslyn-Ballston and Crystal City which is separated by a river to downtown D.C. but you wouldn't know it's not included in downtown as a visitor to the city. D.C. is just a different animal.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-25-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Windows On The City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Allstar - the picture above is from 17 blocks from what you call the CBD, actually none of the CBD (the tall skyscaper portion) is in this picture, it looks back SW from Old City toward G-HO - none of the skyscraper area, yes there are mixed height buildings some only two stories but also many more much taller. I really do nt think you know Center city very well at all

also the 200 blocks are in that 1.7 sq mile area, not extending to then next set of neighborhoods which are very vibrant as well but much more residential, retail/restaurant neighborhoods

Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I will show you random area's in your downtown in a few moments. I'm going to include area's all in different places to show you what street level center city looks like which should explain where I'm coming from. I'm not saying center city isn't a great place to live or that it's not vibrant. I'm just saying it's not really built wall to wall which leaves huge gaps with surface street parking and small buildings that need to be knocked down and replaced with buildings that will complete the city walls block to block. How can you compare center city to manhattan when manhattan has huge mega blocks without alleys like D.C. Is your comparison only about people?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Further Allstar, this is 10 blocks from the end of your supposed 5 block area

3rd and market philadelphia - Google Maps

This is 12 Blocks

5th and locust - Google Maps

This is the edge of the 200 Blocks

broad and South st Philadelphia - Google Maps

And the other side, looking back into Center from outside

broad and callohill st Philadelphia - Google Maps

Another Looking back, outside from university city, 20 blocks from Center City

Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I will show you random area's in your downtown in a few moments. I'm going to include area's all in different places to show you what street level center city looks like which should explain where I'm coming from. I'm not saying center city isn't a great place to live or that it's not vibrant. I'm just saying it's not really built wall to wall which leaves huge gaps with surface street parking and small buildings that need to be knocked down and replaced with buildings that will complete the city walls block to block. How can you compare center city to manhattan when manhattan has huge mega blocks without alleys like D.C. Is your comparison only about people?

actually you are discussing midtown, much of Manhattan does not look like that at all

on your notion above, I disagree, then it would look monotonous like the DC downtown, I much prefer the character and differances in Center City

Go a head and post pics of surface lots, I follow your point but will never agree that makes DC better somehow, to me it is all about the vibrancy and livability. I am will to bet that CC has more building coverage per sq ft even with the suface lots, the streets are far wider in DC

Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM

These area's are all random area's around center city and show what I was talking about. Again, I'm not saying it's not a great place to live and I love center city, but if you call this downtown, then adams morgan, 14th and U, Georgetown, Shaw, and columbia heights are apart of downtown D.C. too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...12,159.97,,0,5

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...,0.001123&z=20

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...,0.001123&z=20

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-25-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
These area's are all random area's around center city and show what I was talking about. Again, I'm not saying it's not a great place to live and I love center city, but if you call this downtown, then adams morgan, 14th and U, Georgetown, Shaw, and columbia heights are apart of downtown D.C. too.

philadelphia pa - Google Maps

philadelphia pa - Google Maps

Yes that is Jefferson's Hospital Campus - this is only a 5 minute walk to work if you work at city hall

Georgtown is absolutely unwalkable to the core in anywhere near that amount of time, I could include UCity much closer or Temple in North Philly which is equally building developed

I lived in Shaw and is much further away than what you are showing, Philly's downtown is totally mixed use from building to building and many on one block - they are just constructed completely different

on the second Cherry St, again a mostly residential little few block enclave, and Cherry is mid block small street

Here is a block that is 5 blocks from city hall but a side street off of a side street off of a side street - this is something you never see in DC. To me actually adds to fabric but we will agree to disagree on this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,25.66,,0,4.74

or you can have more of this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...269.43,,0,1.65
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City