Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I was hanging with my cousin in Orlando, who's a Marine stationed in San Diego, who's originally from Orlando. And he told me that the weather Orlando had that day(73 degrees, with cool breeze, and sunshine) was basically the average everyday weather in SoCal.
Interesting. Yeah, that is very typical, esp. for coastal So. Calif.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Raymond pal where've you been? We missed you! I am still waiting for your "data". Whats taking you so long?

Munchitup has already conceded that you need to hop around at least 3 different areas to get some of the amenities you get in South Beach, and even then they don't quite measure up. Kudos to him.

But I cant wait to hear more of your fantastic fairytales about all those LA neighborhoods that match South Beach pound for pound. Let's hear it.
A) I don't recall Munchitup conceding anything.

B)I already presented data that directly contradicts your BS claims. Hollywood is more dense (twice as dense at the residential level), and based on walkscore, more walkable.

It's loaded with tourists, has tons of nightlife, shopping, entertainment (any first run Broadway plays being shown in Miami Beach?), plus the Hollywood Bowl, classic movie palaces, museums, restaurants, and even a subway line.

West Hollywood is also a tourist favorite as its home to the Sunset Strip. The best collection of live music venues in the city are found here, plus comedy clubs, bars (like the notorious Viper Room), trendy boutiques, tourist spots (like the recording studio where MJ recorded "Thriller and Bad" and the hotel where John Belushi died) and on and on. It has world class everything (it is a celebrity playground after all), it's more dense than South Beach, more walkable. It's even more gay (lol), along Santa Monica Boulevard.

Not only do these two neighborhoods match all your criteria, they exceed it, as they have elements that Miami Beach does not have. They're also considerably safer neighborhoods.

That's two, but I would also include DTLA, Santa Monica, and Pasadena in to the mix. Pasadena and Long Beach, certainly as far as high culture is concerned.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A) I don't recall Munchitup conceding anything.
Oh yes he did. Because he is not a delusional homer like you. And because he was addressing in good faith the specific *data* (there is your favorite word again) that I presented, not your self-concocted fantasies.

Quote:
B)I already presented data that directly contradicts your BS claims. Hollywood is more dense (twice as dense at the residential level), and based on walkscore, more walkable.
There you go again with your walkscores and density. Do I need to go over this again? Every commieblock neighborhood in eastern Europe has huge density and walkability. So?

Quote:

It's loaded with tourists, has tons of nightlife, shopping, entertainment (any first run Broadway plays being shown in Miami Beach?), plus the Hollywood Bowl, classic movie palaces, museums, restaurants, and even a subway line.
Blah blah blah. "Tons of nightlife" ? I presented you with specific data regarding activity levels and locations in South Beach and this is the best you can do? Nice try. I am not one of your sh*thole buddies that you can feed your BS to. Try better. I want to see DATA. Which streets? Where are the nightclubs? Where is the concentration that even remotely resembles the entertainment density of South Beach?

Quote:
West Hollywood is also a tourist favorite as its home to the Sunset Strip. The best collection of live music venues in the city are found here, plus comedy clubs, bars (like the notorious Viper Room), trendy boutiques, tourist spots (like the recording studio where MJ recorded "Thriller and Bad" and the hotel where John Belushi died) and on and on. It has world class everything (it is a celebrity playground after all), it's more dense than South Beach, more walkable. It's even more gay (lol), along Santa Monica Boulevard.
Sunset Strip? Lol... You mean that little, dinky billboard-filled stretch where everything shuts down at 2am and there is nothing around except vast swaths of suburbia?

I've been to Sunset Strip and it feels like a more trendy version of Reno Nevada compared to South Beach. I can go there for a night. I'll get bored after that. And what do you do after everything shuts down at a time when South Beach is just warming up? That's right, you go to sleep unless you can find one of those "illegal" after-hours places in Koreatown... LOL

Quote:
Not only do these two neighborhoods match all your criteria, they exceed it, as they have elements that Miami Beach does not have. They're also considerably safer neighborhoods.

That's two, but I would also include DTLA, Santa Monica, and Pasadena in to the mix. Pasadena and Long Beach, certainly as far as high culture is concerned.
More delusions of an irredeemable homer unsubstantiated by even an ounce of data. Santa Monica? They've got a half a mile long promenade. What else they got that can compete with South Beach? Their so called Ocean Avenue is an empty and lifeless stretch of 6 lane highway. That tells you everything you need to know.

DTLA, Pasadena? Stop embarrassing yourself kid.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 PM

LOL, he wants specific data, yet he's provided none himself.

"It's about everything". That's his pitifully lame argument. Laughable, and he wants more data! The opinions of he and his wife (as if anyone gives a sh*t about their opinions) are his data. Do your own research. Or better yet, provide some data of your own. South Beach = place with a lot of nightclubs and a late last call? That's the gist of it, right? Not much else, correct. Oh, it has hotels. Very impressive. Don't embarrass yourself thinking this is some kind of urban mecca. All I see is an unsafe (some more data for you), undense beach community in South Florida. Are you an alcoholic? You seem real hung up on being able to drink all night.

Funny he calls the area around the Sunset Strip "suburbia", yet the city it's in is 50% denser than South Beach.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-24-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
LOL, he wants specific data, yet he's provided none himself.

"It's about everything". That's his pitifully lame argument. Laughable, and he wants more data! The opinions of he and his wife (as if anyone gives a sh*t about their opinions) are his data. Do your own research. Or better yet, provide me some data of your own. South Beach = place with a lot of nightclubs and a late last call. That's the gist of it, right? Not much else, correct. Oh, it has hotels. Very impressive. Don't embarrass yourself thinking this is some kind of urban mecca. All I see is an unsafe (some more data for you), undense beach community in South Florida with a late last call. Are you an alcoholic? You seem real hung up on being able to drink all night.

Funny he calls the area around the Sunset Strip "suburbia", yet the city itself in is 50% denser than South Beach.
Nice try. I provided to you specific streets, even mileage ffs! All those streets - Washington, Ocean Drive, Lincoln, Collins etc. - are right next to each other and have miles of LITERALLY nonstop action. Again, please point out where in Hollywood you have anything approaching this level of entertainment density over a comparably-sized, continuous area? You can't of course. It's mostly lame, spread out and isolated in small pockets. Quite a hotspot.

And the point of bringing up the last call genius is that's when your nightlife ends and goes to sleep.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM

I think you said the non-sucky part of Miami Beach is from 5th-23rd street, Washington Ave to Ocean Drive? That's about a square mile total.

You made me waste my time over a square mile? A square mile that's basically clubs, shops and touristy restaurants, and very little else? Gotta laugh.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I think you said the non-sucky part of Miami Beach is from 5th-23rd street, Washington Ave to Ocean Drive? That's about a square mile total.

You made me waste my time over a square mile? A square mile that's basically clubs, shops and touristy restaurants, and very little else? Gotta laugh.
What are you a mathematician now?

So tell us then what is the square mileage of continuous action in Hollywod - before things get broken up by two story office buildings, strip malls, parking lots and billboards - until you hit the next hotspot 3 miles away? 100 square yards?

Pasadena is where you belong. Buenos Noches.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:

So tell us then what is the square mileage of continuous action in Hollywod - before things get broken up by two story office buildings, strip malls, parking lots and billboards - until you hit the next hotspot 3 miles away? 100 square yards?

Why Hollywood specifically (though that is very dense)? Why not portions of the West Side along and close to the coast from Santa Monica through to Venice?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:

Franklin blvd. and Gower down to Sunset and Gower to Sunset and Labrea up to Franklin and Labrea. That's a pretty large are packed clubs, upscale (300+ a night) hotels, bars, world class architecture and two subway stops. All surrounded by 20 k ppsm "suburbia". And just a short subway ride to Koreatown and a mile or so to the equally large and happening Sunset Strip and Santa Monica corridor in Weho.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why Hollywood specifically (though that is very dense)? Why not portions of the West Side along and close to the coast from Santa Monica through to Venice?
There are plenty of places. But he will surely just laugh and write you off as a delusional homer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City