Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Literally everyone of my neighbors is from a different country (Italy, Russia, France, Polish, Czech Republic, Cuban). By from a different country, I mean born there. 3 of them don't speak English. The rest I don't know.

Bye bye.
Yet no Asians or Africans.The most populous regions of the world.Yeh.Bye Bye

Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yet no Asians or Africans.The most populous regions of the world.Yeh.Bye Bye
Is 4-5% of your metro a lot to you?

Bye bye.

Btw, the liquor store on Washington two blocks from my house is owned by Pakistanis. They don't speak English either. They don't live here though, too expensive. My town house costed 770,000 and it was a cash only deal, and not suitable for a family. But they're there, in case i miss South Asians.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
Is 4-5% of your metro a lot to you?

Bye bye.

Btw, the liquor store on Washington two blocks from my house is owned by Pakistanis. They don't speak English either. They don't live here though, too expensive. My town house costed 770,000 and it was a cash only deal, and not suitable for a family. But they're there, in case i miss South Asians.
This is a crucial detail to the topic at hand.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
This is a crucial detail to the topic at hand.
It's about as crucial to the topic as his asian neighbors. I always wonder why people get sensitive when I talk the price of my house, versus the ethnicity of my neighbors

Old 05-29-2015, 05:40 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
It's about as crucial to the topic as his asian neighbors. I always wonder why people get sensitive when I talk the price of my house, versus the ethnicity of my neighbors
Nobody cares how much your house costs or how much money you have.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What's not true?That Atlanta has noteable Asian communities and Miami does not have even one?The Asian population no matter how small is large enough for there to be communities.In Miami there simply is not and it is kILLING you to admit it.

Yes I have been.The only difference is size and depth.With Miami there it is so small there is no size or depth to measure.You know and thats why you are acting like its not.There is no larger point because it exist in Atlanta and in Miami it just does not.THAT IS THE ONLY POINT!

Why is it when you Google Miami and Asians,several articles will appear discussing the low amount of Asians and why.
Google Atlanta and it will go into more detail about where you will find these communities,information on dating, networking etc

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...miami%20asians

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...atlanta+asians

Why is that?How can you say a few communities in the metro where Asians make upwards of 20% are insignificant?Because its BS and you know it but dont want to admit it.
Okay, so I guess your answer to my question is "no, you have never been to a city with a large Asian population." You're also focusing on a small demographic blip for both of the areas discussed in order to avoid talking about the large differences between the two areas in terms of demographics that are far, far larger than the Asian population. You're making mountains out of molehills and at the same time somehow missing the actual mountains completely.

Plus, if you actually feel that the numbers are Atlanta sum up to something and aren't just being ridiculous because you're backing yourself into a corner, then you can probably apply the same to Miami as you did for Atlanta and just starting looking into suburbs where there's stuff since their numbers aren't that far off. Google is your friend. It takes about ten seconds to figure out that there's a Thai buddhist temple in Homestead with a Thai enclave and community that attends it. Whoop-dee-do -- I don't think anyone's going to be bandying that about and talking about how amazing the South Florida Asian community is, because the same as Atlanta, having a few things here and there doesn't really mean much, and it certainly doesn't mean much relative to the much larger proportion of the population which is not Asian.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, so I guess your answer to my question is "no, you have never been to a city with a large Asian population." You're also focusing on a small demographic blip for both of the areas discussed in order to avoid talking about the large differences between the two areas in terms of demographics that are far, far larger than the Asian population. You're making mountains out of molehills and at the same time somehow missing the actual mountains completely.

Plus, if you actually feel that the numbers are Atlanta sum up to something and aren't just being ridiculous because you're backing yourself into a corner, then you can probably apply the same to Miami as you did for Atlanta and just starting looking into suburbs where there's stuff since their numbers aren't that far off. Google is your friend. It takes about ten seconds to figure out that there's a Thai buddhist temple in Homestead with a Thai enclave and community that attends it. Whoop-dee-do -- I don't think anyone's going to be bandying that about and talking about how amazing the South Florida Asian community is, because the same as Atlanta, having a few things here and there doesn't really mean much, and it certainly doesn't mean much relative to the much larger proportion of the population which is not Asian.
You backed yourself into a corner.I did not simply post a picture of a temple.You ignore that I gave locations of communities and even pointed out that some of those communities have over 20% Asian.Something you have yet show any community with signficant numbers instead playing real innocent like you cant recognize that within the metro there are communities with high populations of Asians even though you insist on only looking at the entire metro because you know you have no leg to stand on.

Its so ridiculous that your pride won't allow you to admit you are wrong.

What are you talking about?I already said yes I have.I have been to Toronto,Montreal,San Francisco,NYC,etc.

I tell you want Give me at least 2 communities within the metro Miami-Dade area with at least 10% Asian and I will shut up about it.Some of these following cities have more Asians than Miami has African Americans but apparently the African American population in Miami is visible and nobody is denying that.
Duluth-22.3%Asian
Suwanee-18.3%Asian
Johns Creek-23.4%
Doraville-17.7%
Milton-10.4%

Here is this for you:
Homestead-1.2%Asian(I guess the Thai all live near the random buddhist temple)
Homestead (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM

173 posts, read 198,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Overseas Born in Africa:
- New York: 236,869
- Washington: 171,290
- Boston: 98,939
- Los Angeles: 87,175
- Atlanta: 70,495
- Dallas: 67,099
- Houston: 54,125
- Philadelphia: 49,854
- Chicago: 46,875
- San Francisco Bay Area: 34,864
- Miami: 20,511
Just curious, where'd you get these numbers? It's interesting (but not surprising to me) that, if those stats are correct, Boston now has more African born than places like Atlanta and LA. Also, I'm surprised that Minneapolis isn't on the list.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Just curious, where'd you get these numbers? It's interesting (but not surprising to me) that, if those stats are correct, Boston now has more African born than places like Atlanta and LA. Also, I'm surprised that Minneapolis isn't on the list.
United States' census bureau: American FactFinder

Click "get data" towards the bottom of the page for American Community Survey and it will redirect you to an interactive page where you can customize your data. After that click "geography" towards the sidebar on the left. Choose "CSA 330" from the scroll down bar and from there select the cities you want (Boston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Minneapolis). Then press "topics" also on the sidebar on the left. Click "people" as an option and after that press "origin" OR "foreign born." Once you've done that, exit the topics menu and look at center page, click "ACS background and origins of population sets for 5 years" and then press "view" and the table will come up.

Boston also gets more immigrants from Africa than those cities you mentioned too.

You can check the immigration trends here: Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2013 Lawful Permanent Residents | Homeland Security

For this one, just click "Supplemental Table 2" towards the bottom of the page and it'll have all the information for you.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-30-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:28 PM

173 posts, read 198,581 times
Awesome, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City