Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not at all. Living in Baton Rouge my whole life I never felt any bond with Texas or Houston. We are focused around New Orleans, as well as most of the central Gulf region. Houston stops at either the Vermillion river or the Mississippi river. Houston doesn't reach into Mississippi at all, Mississippi is dominated by New Orleans in the south and Memphis up north.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I think Biloxi, Gulfport and the rest of the Mississippi Gulf Coast is dominated by New Orleans. But Houston does have influence in Mississippi. A region of nearly 6 million people will have that range of influence. It overlaps with New Orleans though. WestbankNOLA mentioned this a while ago.

As for Atlanta. They do have a greater influence over more parts of the South than DFW/Houston/MFD/ and DC does. DC has Virginia and maybe the extreme Southern parts of North Carolina. Miami's sphere doesn't leave Florida and it overlaps with Atlanta in the panhandle. Houston overlaps with New Orleans for Southern LA and parts of Mississippi. They have Southern and Southeast Texas. Dallas influences North Central and North Texas. DFW also influences Northern LA, Southern Arkansas, Oklahoma, and overlaps with Memphis for Northern Mississippi. It overlaps for Western Tenn with Memphis and Atlanta. Atlanta basically has the rest of the South. North Florida, Alabama, Eastern Misssissippi, Eastern Tennessee, and the Carolina's though qc_dreamin's post is different from Akhenaton who says that Atlanta has always had a sphere of influence there.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I think Biloxi, Gulfport and the rest of the Mississippi Gulf Coast is dominated by New Orleans. But Houston does have influence in Mississippi. A region of nearly 6 million people will have that range of influence. It overlaps with New Orleans though. WestbankNOLA mentioned this a while ago.

As for Atlanta. They do have a greater influence over more parts of the South than DFW/Houston/MFD/ and DC does. DC has Virginia and maybe the extreme Southern parts of North Carolina. Miami's sphere doesn't leave Florida and it overlaps with Atlanta in the panhandle. Houston overlaps with New Orleans for Southern LA and parts of Mississippi. They have Southern and Southeast Texas. Dallas influences North Central and North Texas. DFW also influences Northern LA, Southern Arkansas, Oklahoma, and overlaps with Memphis for Northern Mississippi. It overlaps for Western Tenn with Memphis and Atlanta. Atlanta basically has the rest of the South. North Florida, Alabama, Eastern Misssissippi, Eastern Tennessee, and the Carolina's though qc_dreamin's post is different from Akhenaton who says that Atlanta has always had a sphere of influence there.
I think you're giving these too much credit. My room mate is from Little Rock, on a day-to-day basis, they are more in tune with Memphis and Atlanta than Dallas. And I beg to differ about Houston invading MS, can a resident clear this up?
Like I said, our world revolves much more around New Orleans. Now out of all of the Gulf coast, Houston would be the largest hub, but its too far west.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM

475 posts, read 684,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
LMAO!!! I hate you Atlanta!!!(Starts punching the Atlanta concrete)
LOL! Sometimes I think those type thoughts keep them up at night.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think you're giving these too much credit. My room mate is from Little Rock, on a day-to-day basis, they are more in tune with Memphis and Atlanta than Dallas. And I beg to differ about Houston invading MS, can a resident clear this up?
Like I said, our world revolves much more around New Orleans. Now out of all of the Gulf coast, Houston would be the largest hub, but its too far west.
I never said anything about Little Rock. I said Southern Arkansas. Little Rock isn't in Southern Arkansas. And yes, Dallas does influence a good portion of Arkansas. The big city to many Arkansans is Dallas/Fort Worth.

We've actually had this conversation about this before on this board in the much longer capital of the south thread. Do a search on that. Also, yes, Houston was mentioned on having some influence in MS and with good reasons on that as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about Little Rock. I said Southern Arkansas. Little Rock isn't in Southern Arkansas. And yes, Dallas does influence a good portion of Arkansas. The big city to many Arkansans is Dallas/Fort Worth.

We've actually had this conversation about this before on this board in the much longer capital of the south thread. Do a search on that. Also, yes, Houston was mentioned on having some influence in MS and with good reasons on that as well.
I know its not in Southern Arkansas, haha. And I know they are influenced by Dallas, because north La is influenced heavily by Dallas.

I may look that up if I get the time.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I know its not in Southern Arkansas, haha. And I know they are influenced by Dallas, because north La is influenced heavily by Dallas.

I may look that up if I get the time.
Hope you have a lot of time for that thread. When I say it's long, I really mean it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hope you have a lot of time for that thread. When I say it's long, I really mean it.
Oh I know. I didn't really plan on looking through it. I HATE HATE HATE searching through threads for information. Its worse than Google.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Growing up in Charlotte i never really heard much Atlanta talk. Even though Atlanta was seen as a big city..... Even now as an adult here in Greensboro you here more of Charlotte and to a lesser degree Raleigh. Every now and then you may here Atlanta mentioned. When I here Atlanta mentioned in Charlotte now it s moreso about Charlotte trying to avoid the mistakes that Atlanta made and not becoming the next "Atlanta". Hell even when I lived in Atlanta i saw more articles written about Charlotte in the AJC then i did in the Charlottte Observer about Atlanta..
As I've stated before, Charlotte and Raleigh do hold some autonomy. Raleigh with Eastern NC, Charlotte with Western NC and down edges of Columbia, Upstate, and Sandhills in SC. But the overall big city in both areas is Atlanta. Charloote definitely looks to Atlanta as a model for growth, both good and bad.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
States like TN, AL, MS, SC, North Florida, GA, & NC look to Atlanta as the leader of their region.
Dude........ Stop!

Quote:
Most of south La, MS, and Alabama look to New Orleans.
That's news to me. I always thought that most of Louisiana looked away from New Orleans. The western half of the the Mississipp Gulf Coast I agree, the eastern half looks more to Alabama though. Never saw Alabama looking this way, kind of always thought Mobile had somewhat of a disdain for the N.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No. It's more like this; Houston/New Orleans influence overshadow one another. However, both have great influence over LA and MS.
Agreed

Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
i agree w/ annie, completely. i would be willing to bet, concerning this subject, that memphis-little rock are completely insync. my reasons for stating such have to do w/ the long-standing share of airport seats w/ less expensive carriers in little rock, some of that has changed, but still it exists and the two economies are closely tied. little rock residents do a good deal of speciality/high end shopping in memphis. memphis residents support the high end bed linen market that is found only in dallas or houston, and in atlanta. memphians, by and large, are not going to fly or drive to houston, atlanta, or dallas for italian, parisian, etc., textiles. day-to-day, i think most see little rock and memphis paired. otherwise, memphis is pretty much a city "unto" itself, and i think that the metro is big enough for most of us to have what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City