Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Why don't you move to the crappy parts of Mesa or Tuscon and tell me how great it is? Oh, and do it without air conditioning.

What a silly line of argumentation. Someone refutes your points and you can't handle it so you move the goalposts.

Why don't you just get over the fact that people find happiness and success in Cleveland?

You have taken the sentence out of context and created a tangent to grind your AZ ax. You claim that you have lived in AZ but yet you can't spell Tucson correctly. Oh yes, one can live in southern AZ without AC, it's called evaporative cooling.

With nearly 30% of Clevelanders in poverty I would hardly call that happiness or success.

I challenged the readers of this thread for facts that backup the wild claims as to the greatness of the city of Cleveland. To date, no one has listed one supporting fact.

Why don't you get over yourself and your drama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
You have taken the sentence out of context and created a tangent to grind your AZ ax. You claim that you have lived in AZ but yet you can't spell Tucson correctly. Oh yes, one can live in southern AZ without AC, it's called evaporative cooling.

With nearly 30% of Clevelanders in poverty I would hardly call that happiness or success.

I challenged the readers of this thread for facts that backup the wild claims as to the greatness of the city of Cleveland. To date, no one has listed one supporting fact.

You don't want to hear why people love Cleveland. Whether it's because you are only focusing on the "city of Cleveland" or whether you just don't want to hear it.
Cleveland is larger than the pocket you continue to talk about.
No one is disputing you that there are improvements needed in the area. I gave you data about the Cleveland area; you shot it down, and told me to move to the hood and quit talking about my "cushy" burb. Cleveland is WAY more than one part; it's the sum of all of it's parts that make it a great place to live. I'm surprised you can not understand that, nor can you understand that statistics only give you part of a picture.

Cleveland has the 4th best orchestra in the world. It has one of the largest park systems in the country. Our Playhouse Square Center is the second largest preforming arts center in the US, with NY's Lincoln Center being the first. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton and in Cleveland is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Cleveland Clinic is one of the best hospitals in the world. In 2007, Ohio had 6 of the top 100 cities to live in. 2 of them were in Cleveland! (I know you'll shoot me down b/c that's last year's data) Regardless of what anyone writes here, you hate Cleveland, and will continue to do so. Thus, thanks for sharing, and let us enjoy our city.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Great post LewLew.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
you can find happiness where ever you live.. it is what you make of that place that determines how you will feel..... my only grudges with this town are jobs and weather.. but it could be worse..

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
you can find happiness where ever you live.. it is what you make of that place that determines how you will feel..... my only grudges with this town are jobs and weather.. but it could be worse..
I agree. Jobs are a gripe in most every US city right now. Weather is another story, but again, what you make of it. There is a lot more to living somewhere than nice weather. I currently live in FL, and am moving back north. I'll sacrifice during the winter to have a better quality of life.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
the humidity would kill me.. i would take ohio over florida anyday... plus i hear insurance for a house is $2000+ (hurricanes)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the humidity would kill me.. i would take ohio over florida anyday... plus i hear insurance for a house is $2000+ (hurricanes)
Yes, our insurance (and it's cheaper than most residents b/c we don't live in an area where we are required to carry additional flood insurance) is $2633 per year. I have friends that pay over 4500 per year. However, our property taxes are MUCH less. (2100) this year on a 300K home. They will be more like 3500 next year since our homestead will be less than this year. Thus, together they are equal to 6000 MOL. That is what some in Cleveland pay on property tax. Thus, for us it's a wash. However, if you are in an area in Cleveland w/out high prop taxes, then it's definitely cheaper.

I HATE THE HUMIDITY! I also love the sun and the beach, but when it's ALWAYS sunny and hot, it gets very boring. The bloom is off the rose very quickly in Fl. Also, it's a hideously ugly state except for the beaches.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post

did not go to the east side. But, IMO, the Bay, Westlake, Strongsville looked economically hurting.
Economically hurting? Yeah I can see that. I just have a hard time believing that any valid comparison can be made between suburban Cleveland and a third world country.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
First of all, I have no ax to grind with Arizona. I love it there, I just prefer Cleveland. Neither is perfect. Just accept that even Arizona has flaws.

Second of all, who cares if I misspelled "Tucson"? I didn't live there, I lived in Scottsdale. Tucson, in my opinion, is the worst big city in Arizona and I would never think of living there.

Quote:
When I refer to "Cleveland" or "Clevelanders," for clarification I'm referring to everyone that lives in Greater Cleveland. The City of Cleveland only accounts for 20% of the metropolitan area, so that 30% poverty rate is mostly irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote:
A number of people have shown facts that make greater Cleveland look a lot better than greater Phoenix in some important categories. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what it's going to take.

Quote:
A classic case of projection.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM

256 posts, read 736,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Economically hurting? Yeah I can see that. I just have a hard time believing that any valid comparison can be made between suburban Cleveland and a third world country.
I had not been back in a long long time and it was a SHOCK to me. In my minds eye I remember it extemely beautiful. It was always that way to me. I was not prepared to see it in such bad shape. I really could not believe what had happened.
I love Cleveland, it is home to me. I hope some day I can go back. I have travelled the world and lived in many places. I would love to spend the rest of my life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland