Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM

169 posts, read 583,280 times

Advertisements

There is also a good tutorial on building in St. James I posted on the POA website, it's thirteen chapters and well written. Here is a pointer. To Build or Buy - Some Tips - St. James Plantation Property Owners' Association

If you can't reach it, let me know and I will send it to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Active Pair and PonyPride,

Thank you for your detailed responses, most informative and helpful!

We are beginning our builder research and appreciate your input.

Enjoy you new homes!
jj

Just wanted you to know that Mary P and her hubby are down there now - and they have spoken to Crews/Whitney Blair and Farrell(?) so far....will keep you posted .....Nancy

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,695 times
Is it true that Logan only builds on slabs without crawl spaces?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM

93 posts, read 207,758 times
@cnw20 ... Logan Homes will do slab or raised floor construction, but they seem to steer towards slab, which is what I want anyhow.

@PonyPride ... I have two adjacent lots at the end of Breffin Court, but planning to only build on one. The other is future currency

Gatorbyter

Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Hi LakeEffect,

I could probably have a long conversation with you regarding builders. I can only offer in this space a few observations. If you want more detail, please feel free to PM me and we can chat.

First let me say that both Kent and Logan are very good big box builders. I originally looked at Kent during the initial phase of my search for a builder. My salesperson, Suzanne, ended up moving (she was awesome!) so when I got closer to building I checked out Logan and the cost and the one on one attention Logan provided me sealed the deal.

I have no complaints about "fit and finish" of big box vs. custom builders, but there are definitely differences. A few examples: Moldings may be more elaborate with custom builders, trim with big box is finger jointed in many cases (where you can see joints) where custom builders use single piece clear pine, big box does not provide flooring under cabinets, vanities, etc, whereas many custom builders do provide coverage over the entire floor. These are just a few differences. Most building for the foundations and bones of the house are similar, but there are differences:

1) Some builders use pex for plumbing and others use PVC. No one uses copper anymore - too expensive. Pex, in my opinion is best.

2) Foundation - On slab foundations, some builders use cement with a fiber additive to give it strength (fairly recent technique), and do not use rebarb. I like the traditional approach of both cement with rebarb. The big decision we had to make is a slab foundation vs. a crawlspace. We decided on a slab. That is strictly personal preference.

3) "Green" builders use finger jointed studs on vertical "non load bearing walls," while others do not. The primary benefit of finger jointed studs (aside from the environmental benefits) is that since the best part of the wood is used and finger jointed together, the studs will not be warped and the sheetrock will sit true and not be waivey or show imperfections. The bad points is that the studs should not get wet (i.e. in the lumber yard) as moisture can degrade the glue, and you should not drill into the joint as you can crack the stud.

4) Sub-flooring: Make sure your builder uses Advantech. It is a huge benefit over t&g particle board flooring. It is a synthetic material that is superior. I requested that my builder use it. The reason it is good is that sub-flooring should not get wet as this may cause it to deterioate (especially particle board). Since while under construction, the house may be open to the elements, the sub-flooring may likely be exposed.

5) Wall Structure: The sill plates are 2x6 but there is no need to go 2x6 on the wall studs. I kept 2x4 every 16 inches on center. One option is to go with exterior plywood on the exterior instead of OSB to provide additional strength. Also, many big box builders have floor joists 20 inches on center. I added extra floor joints and made them 16 on center. I also made my roof sheathing 3/4 inch exterior plywood instead of 1/2 inch CDX for improved strength.

I am not sure what my cost per sq. ft. was, but Active seem to be in the ballpark. In my pricing of custom builders, the cost difference per sq. ft. was 30%-40% higher.

Not sure if this addressed all your questions.

Regards,

Pony
Pony: we went on a SJP tour about 2 years ago with one of the SJP salesmen who told us that the big box builders Logan/Kent homes were approximately either: $110/$130 or $150 per square foot. And, that was two years ago. We personally saw the models that ran those three amounts and there were considerable differences in the trims, etc. of those three models in SJP. Just thought I would share that information.....Best wishes to you in your new home there! We are about 3-4 years from going down.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

38 posts, read 91,249 times
Default Cost per SQUARE FOOT

It appears that there is confusion over what is the typical cost per sq ft to have a house built by LOGAN/KENT and other builders. I might have caused that confusion when I reported $97/sf for my LOGAN. It is possible that my calculated TOTAL sq. ft. included the area of sections that should not have factored in.

So, let's call in the experts to give us the straight scoop:

QUESTION: Which of the following sections should be included in the TOTAL SQ FT that is applied to the COST, to arrive at the COST per SQ. FT?

- Heated first floor area - A GIVEN
- Garage?
- Room over Garage w/wo Bath?
- Sunroom?
- Screen Porch?
- Covered Porch?
- Patio?
- Deck?

Once I think that we have reached a consensus, I will re-calc my Cost/sf.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
It appears that there is confusion over what is the typical cost per sq ft to have a house built by LOGAN/KENT and other builders. I might have caused that confusion when I reported $97/sf for my LOGAN. It is possible that my calculated TOTAL sq. ft. included the area of sections that should not have factored in.

So, let's call in the experts to give us the straight scoop:

QUESTION: Which of the following sections should be included in the TOTAL SQ FT that is applied to the COST, to arrive at the COST per SQ. FT?

- Heated first floor area - A GIVEN
- Garage?
- Room over Garage w/wo Bath?
- Sunroom?
- Screen Porch?
- Covered Porch?
- Patio?
- Deck?

Once I think that we have reached a consensus, I will re-calc my Cost/sf.
Hello - I don't think there is an "expert" opinion, as real estate practices vary from place to place. I think that for North Carolina, one should not ever count the SF in the garage, screen porch, patio or deck.

I would count the room over the garage if it has drywall and flooring, regardless of whether it has a bath. I would count the sunroom if it has glass windows, and is inhabitable 10 months a years.

When I say practices vary, I have seen houses in Florida where they count everything under roof. That does not seem to be the practice here.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM

38 posts, read 91,249 times
Default COST/sf...I Stand Corrected

Forget $97 per Sq. Ft.

How 'bout $134 per st for the BASE LOGAN Bellamy, using 1st Floor heated area. BASE includes Garage & Cov. Porch.

OR $134/sf for our Bells & Whistles Home - Adding BONUS RM & SUNROOM sf to BASE Total.

The Bells & Whistles version includes expanded Bonus R, Extra Course to Foundation, EZE-BREEZE Porch, Base Patio doubled in size, Back Yard Fence, 2 pairs of French Doors, Florida Door from Sunrm to EZ-B Porch, additional Ceiling Fans, upgraded Appliances and numerous small additions and upgrades.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
Forget $97 per Sq. Ft.

How 'bout $134 per st for the BASE LOGAN Bellamy, using 1st Floor heated area. BASE includes Garage & Cov. Porch.

OR $134/sf for our Bells & Whistles Home - Adding BONUS RM & SUNROOM sf to BASE Total.

The Bells & Whistles version includes expanded Bonus R, Extra Course to Foundation, EZE-BREEZE Porch, Base Patio doubled in size, Back Yard Fence, 2 pairs of French Doors, Florida Door from Sunrm to EZ-B Porch, additional Ceiling Fans, upgraded Appliances and numerous small additions and upgrades.
Your price sounds in line with what the St. James rep was quoting. Enjoy your new house!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 AM

383 posts, read 892,222 times
The square footage should only be for "living areas" that are heated and air conditioned. That would eliminate porches, garages, patio's, etc. If you have a heated/AC Carolina room, that would count. Also, are you including the land? If you do not include land, I believe MissyNancy's estimate of $110-130 for big box is in the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina