Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Another shift in demographics is occurring in Beaufort County. You have significant growth in the western side, due to the proximity of Greenville. While the eastern part is.....not experiencing that type of growth. The political dynamics are prime to meet head on sooner before later, IMO.
Beaufort County is fairly stagnant, I don't necessarily agree that it is a Western oriented population growth....The City of Washington has pretty much had 0 growth over the past 20 years. The two areas that are growing is the Bath area, especially along the waterfront, and of course the construction of Cypress Landing just East of Chocowinity, which has fueled some commercial development in Chocowinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
None of this surprises me. I was looking at the detailed stats for Pitt and the surrounding counties a couple of weeks ago. These numbers don't tell the entire story as there has been a significant demographics shift in some of the surrounding counties and towns like Williamston. I've seen it before. It's called White Flight. The demographics for Greenville has been relatively even with a slight bias toward African Americans. Most of the surrounding towns and counties have seen significant numbers of whites leaving and African Americans moving in. Williamston and Kinston have seen remarkable changes in racial bias since 2000 and is continuing.
I think you may be overstating this...what is really happening is that folks from other parts of ENC are moving to the Greenville/Winterville area, no matter if they are white or black....because there are limited job opportunities where they are from and Greenville still has a relatively low cost of living. As well, you have many minorities originally from ENC that when they move back down south, they move into Greenville rather than where they were from.

For some reason, the folks in Raleigh have been very hush-hush about the loss of population in its small towns across the state...but its not just Greenville, its fueling Wilmington, Raleigh, and Charlotte growth as well.

Where you do have some racial movement is with the young population and where they are settling...they are not settling in the small towns or rural areas because of the schools and instead opting for the larger cities with the better school districts. The State of NC is doing a terrible job helping the "leftout" communities with cleaning up their towns and counties and those places don't have the tax base to fund a deconstruction effort and they are left with very high vacancy rates for housing and commercial development. There is too much bureaucracy in Raleigh and no efficiency.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think you may be overstating this..
You'd have to take that up with the Census Bureau. Their data indicates exactly what I've said.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM

145 posts, read 266,664 times
Quote:
Unity Free Will Baptist Church on 14th St is moving on up.....eventually.

That congregation is looking to move out of their old digs and into a new $7.2 million facility on Charles Blvd, near Bluebill Drive. That is right southeast of The Bellamy Apartment complex in the Bells Folk area.

The rate-limiting step is the selling of the 14th St church.
I actually heard something about that recently. Do you know if they have put their old church for sale yet?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Beaufort County is fairly stagnant, I don't necessarily agree that it is a Western oriented population growth....The City of Washington has pretty much had 0 growth over the past 20 years. The two areas that are growing is the Bath area, especially along the waterfront, and of course the construction of Cypress Landing just East of Chocowinity, which has fueled some commercial development in Chocowinity.
Well.....I don't know how to tell ya, but this handy dandy map from the N.Y.T. is the source of my post. I've posted the link here before.

Beaufort County had a 6.2% population growth from 2000 to 2010.

The county has 11 census tracts, three on the southern side and eight on the northern side. Only three tracts lost people over this time period. The two most eastern tracts both north and south of the Pamlico, and a tract right downtown on the waterfront.

Since we had a poster mention white flight, you can break these maps down by race. Whites moved out of five of the tracts. The far southeastern tract, and the four tracts closest to downtown.

There is no need to do every race, because its easier to see on the map.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Well.....I don't know how to tell ya, but this handy dandy map from the N.Y.T. is the source of my post. I've posted the link here before.

Beaufort County had a 6.2% population growth from 2000 to 2010.

The county has 11 census tracts, three on the southern side and eight on the northern side. Only three tracts lost people over this time period. The two most eastern tracts both north and south of the Pamlico, and a tract right downtown on the waterfront.

Since we had a poster mention white flight, you can break these maps down by race. Whites moved out of five of the tracts. The far southeastern tract, and the four tracts closest to downtown.

There is no need to do every race, because its easier to see on the map.
Good map, thank you...much of that is due to the fact that not only are those far eastern tracts more rural (further from Washington/Chocowinity) but they also had significant loss of population from Hurricane's in the last decade...because of substantial flooding. I was just stating that the western side hasn't had a bunch of growth and that map kind of confirms that with a loss in Washington...I just stated the two growth areas I knew about in Beaufort Co, which focused on two communities.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You'd have to take that up with the Census Bureau. Their data indicates exactly what I've said.
Their data states that Greenville has had an explosive rate of blacks moving in...how does that mesh with your white flight theme?

Whites are dying out in the rural areas and small towns and not being replaced by whites. That, IMO, is not white flight (unless you are saying high school age kids are fleeing which is correct...to the larger cities and of any race). You stated whites were leaving and blacks were moving in...I'm saying whites are dying out, not being replaced, which leaves a higher percentage of blacks...there is a drastic difference. Relatively no one is moving in...people are just moving out or not being replaced.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Went to the Varsity Club today. Very good food and nice relaxed atmosphere. To confirm what I was told: the menu features a few items that Boli's served, including their recipe for pizza. I wouldn't say the pizza is exactly like Boli's, probably a little more to the gourmet side, a little thinner on the crust. Most of the menu is VC's own, but it's nice to have a mix of what once was (not too long ago) a Greenville staple.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Their data states that Greenville has had an explosive rate of blacks moving in...how does that mesh with your white flight theme?
Go back and read what I wrote carefully. I didn't say that anybody's white or black population was moving to Greenville. I said that the population growth in Greenville has been even and with a slight bias towards African Americans. I also said the white populations of Williamston and Kinston were leaving and the African American populations were increasing in those cities. Where are the whites going and where are the African Americans coming from? I don't do that kind of research for free. The data is there, you just have to find it.

Insofar as the whites and African Americans that are moving to Greenville goes, I have to assume that they are professionals for the most part. 2 reasons. 1: They are building no new low income housing in Greenville. Either the numbers of low income moving to Greenville is small or the low income housing is getting awfully crowded. They are also building (and haven't for a very long time) no new trailer parks anywhere in Pitt County. In fact, thousands of trailers have been removed from Pitt County. 2: If you dig into the income demographics for Pitt County and Greenville, you'll see that the biggest increases in population have been in Greenville's middle class and up. There have been small increases in the poor population but it pales next to the middle to upper increases. It is reasonably safe to assume that the huge majority of people that are moving here are here to work. They are buying the new homes that are being built hand over fist now.

The next 2 to 3 years is going to see Pitt County and Greenville's population swell like never before. The medical and legal facilities are being built like gangbusters. And all of those new professionals are going to need new homes, places to shop and restaurants. It truly is an exciting time to live in Pitt County and Greenville.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Go back and read what I wrote carefully. I didn't say that anybody's white or black population was moving to Greenville. I said that the population growth in Greenville has been even and with a slight bias towards African Americans. I also said the white populations of Williamston and Kinston were leaving and the African American populations were increasing in those cities. Where are the whites going and where are the African Americans coming from? I don't do that kind of research for free. The data is there, you just have to find it.

Insofar as the whites and African Americans that are moving to Greenville goes, I have to assume that they are professionals for the most part. 2 reasons. 1: They are building no new low income housing in Greenville. Either the numbers of low income moving to Greenville is small or the low income housing is getting awfully crowded. They are also building (and haven't for a very long time) no new trailer parks anywhere in Pitt County. In fact, thousands of trailers have been removed from Pitt County. 2: If you dig into the income demographics for Pitt County and Greenville, you'll see that the biggest increases in population have been in Greenville's middle class and up. There have been small increases in the poor population but it pales next to the middle to upper increases. It is reasonably safe to assume that the huge majority of people that are moving here are here to work. They are buying the new homes that are being built hand over fist now.

The next 2 to 3 years is going to see Pitt County and Greenville's population swell like never before. The medical and legal facilities are being built like gangbusters. And all of those new professionals are going to need new homes, places to shop and restaurants. It truly is an exciting time to live in Pitt County and Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina