Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

The "riff raff" on Allen Road is basically limited to one or two apartment complexes and is not representative of the majority of the residents of the entire road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
I was in error. The maps provided by the city of Greenville are outdated. They were updated in November of last year. There are only minor changes. The new wish list can be found here:

NCDOT, Planning & Environment, Transportation Planning Branch

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The "riff raff" on Allen Road is basically limited to one or two apartment complexes and is not representative of the majority of the residents of the entire road.
I didn't mean the current Allen Road. But what it would go through/near to reach 5th Street. There are some shady spots near B's BBQ Road.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I was in error. The maps provided by the city of Greenville are outdated. They were updated in November of last year. There are only minor changes. The new wish list can be found here:

NCDOT, Planning & Environment, Transportation Planning Branch
They don't list the extension of Brownlea Drive from 10th St to 14th St.

W.H. Smith extension to Arlington Blvd is new to me. I wouldn't mind seeing it split, and go to Memorial as well. But I don't want ANOTHER stoplight on Memorial. And there doesn't look like anywhere near there for a stoplight.

Lastly, does anyone else NOT like the path of the eastern half of the proposed beltline? I know the likelihood of a completed beltline around Greenville is close to nil. But the southern part needs to go just south of Winterville. The eastern edge needs to go just on the western edge of Simpson. And then the southeast section needs to come in. The current beltline is toooo large.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Lastly, does anyone else NOT like the path of the eastern half of the proposed beltline? I know the likelihood of a completed beltline around Greenville is close to nil. But the southern part needs to go just south of Winterville. The eastern edge needs to go just on the western edge of Simpson. And then the southeast section needs to come in. The current beltline is toooo large.
To be fair that sort of thing is a guessing game as to where the growth will be in the next 20-30 years along with what's the easiest route to buy up access to. When 540 in Raleigh was first proposed back during the Nixon administration, that was all wilderness out there.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM

107 posts, read 175,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
They don't list the extension of Brownlea Drive from 10th St to 14th St.

W.H. Smith extension to Arlington Blvd is new to me. I wouldn't mind seeing it split, and go to Memorial as well. But I don't want ANOTHER stoplight on Memorial. And there doesn't look like anywhere near there for a stoplight.

I was glad to see that somenone else disagrees with the southeast section of the proposed beltway. You are correct, the beltway should come just south of Winterville & north of Ayden. That would make it a true beltway. It could then be used for a Hwy 43 bypass & a route to get to 264 west to Raleigh. People on the southeast side of Greenville will still drive through town to get to the hospital or anywhere on the west side of town, rather than drive south of Ayden. In its present proposed configuration, it will not be useful for east-west or west-east travel. It will only be used for north-south travel. The beltway would still serve Ayden even if it was on the north side of them. New Bern is getting a Hwy 43 bypass & one is needed in Greenville.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
I am sure the planners are looking far into the future in regards to the placement of the Greenville Beltline. They would probably prefer that the bulk of development be within the beltline. It is only a matter of time before development in Ayden and Winterville join together somewhere along Old NC 11. They are already close together. It is only a little over a mile from the southernmost subdivision in Winterville to the northernmost subdivision in Ayden.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM

68 posts, read 119,758 times
does anybody know what bonefish is going to look like there arent alot of stand alone bonefish so i was wondering how it was going to look. does anybody know when dicks will open

Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I am sure the planners are looking far into the future in regards to the placement of the Greenville Beltline. They would probably prefer that the bulk of development be within the beltline. It is only a matter of time before development in Ayden and Winterville join together somewhere along Old NC 11. They are already close together. It is only a little over a mile from the southernmost subdivision in Winterville to the northernmost subdivision in Ayden.
Yeah it's worth considering Winterville in particular has quadrupled in population in the past two decades; it's now one of the largest towns east of Rocky Mount, definitely in the top ten. And there's no real external force pushing either them, Ayden, or Greenville toward denser development yet.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Minor league baseball in Greenville has been something I've wanted for quite some time, even moreso since Kinston sold their franchise. I'd want it downtown, too, although I think it would be a great way to revitalize the former tobacco district on the west end of downtown. There are some great buildings down there, but there is no chance of bringing back the west end one store front at a time. You'd need large quantities of people to go down there at once so they'd feel safe (The science center and such will not do that.). As soon as a ground-breaking ceremony takes place, you'd see investors and private business snatching up properties and re-opening a lost part of downtown. I don't see the point in investing in the center of downtown by reshaping five points and fixing up an old theatre (along with the success of Winslow's and Star Lite) if that revitalized area does not act as a bridge to connect both ends of downtown. We need a complete downtown, and we need something significant to happen there if its ever going to be functional again.

Also, I'm pretty sure a professional team cannot sell alcohol at a campus facility, so sharing Clark-LeClair would not be profitable; so co-existing at ECU is unlikely.

Greenville never supported the Kinston Indians so I don't know how the city would support a team in their own town. It is totally ECU Pirates and sponsors are not going to support an MiLB in town because they want all their money to go back to the university. I worked for the K-Tribe and was never successful in getting anyone other than Minges to support us and they only did because we bought our sodas through them. We contacted a ton of businesses in Greenville for several years and they always said money went to ECU as far as their marketing budget. It would be great to get a team in Greenville, but I just don't see how it could be supported. And putting it down by Town Commons where it floods, not a good idea. And you need lots of parking. I just don't think it will work. Plus the Mudcats have the rights to baseball in the Greenville area and would have to sign off for another team to come and play professional baseball in that area. I have worked in minor league baseball for 16 years so I do know a lot about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina