Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned or commented on how many families might leave the state as a result of this law?
More important may be the type of people who leave versus the type of people who move in. I find that most people who don't use recreational drugs are pretty honest folks with solid values. No, I don't mean that they are religious zealots. I'm not that into religion, but I also do not want to be in a community full of recreational drug users. Undoubtedly, some people like me will leave Colorado if the recreational drug culture becomes more entrenched in the state with pot legalization than it already is (sadly, Colorado has, for decades, had a problem with illicit drug use out of proportion with the population of the state).

Unfortunately, it's popular to characterize marijuana users as innocent users of a harmless substance. In fact, they are knowingly engaging in a federally illegal act, supporting a clandestine and often violent criminal network to get the drugs, and often engaging in numerous forms of deception to hide their drug use from employers, co-workers, law enforcement, and others. I hardly consider those folks "pillars of character," yet a lot of those folks may be attracted to Colorado because of the new pot law. These people seem to carry on the failed 1960's mantra of "If it feels good, just do it," and "It's not really wrong if I don't get caught." No wonder the country is so screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 42,871 times
We are waiting to see the Fed response before deciding. With children, it just doesn't seem appropriate to live here with this law.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
More important may be the type of people who leave versus the type of people who move in. I find that most people who don't use recreational drugs are pretty honest folks with solid values. No, I don't mean that they are religious zealots. I'm not that into religion, but I also do not want to be in a community full of recreational drug users. Undoubtedly, some people like me will leave Colorado if the recreational drug culture becomes more entrenched in the state with pot legalization than it already is (sadly, Colorado has, for decades, had a problem with illicit drug use out of proportion with the population of the state).

Unfortunately, it's popular to characterize marijuana users as innocent users of a harmless substance. In fact, they are knowingly engaging in a federally illegal act, supporting a clandestine and often violent criminal network to get the drugs, and often engaging in numerous forms of deception to hide their drug use from employers, co-workers, law enforcement, and others. I hardly consider those folks "pillars of character," yet a lot of those folks may be attracted to Colorado because of the new pot law. These people seem to carry on the failed 1960's mantra of "If it feels good, just do it," and "It's not really wrong if I don't get caught." No wonder the country is so screwed up.
This is all laughable. For one, you act as if cannabis use doesn't exist elsewhere. Second, good luck trying to escape to areas where alcohol isn't prevalent. You're worried about people getting stoned and being mellow when alcohol causes much bigger problems in society. Sounds like you're the one stuck in the 60's mentality.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
The arguments being presented here against legalization are seriously some of the weakest arguments I've come across in regards to any topic I've ever debated. I genuinely hoped to read interesting information specific to Colorado, but all I'm seeing is hyperbole. Oh well.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Prop 64 - two birds one stone

All the 'zealot heads' should get on a plane now before the law goes into effect and the pilots are too stoned to fly. You could get in your car and drive but there is probably 100% chance your going to die in a horrific head on collision with a 'pot head' before you reach state lines.

Besides there is going to be a major water shortage with all the pot heads filling their bongs. Not to mention what the epidemic cotton mouth is going to do to the water level.

Leave now before we corrupt your children, infiltrate you churches and steal all your water.

It's funny but have you guys ever noticed that the soap box, self appointed 'moral superiors' are the ones that end up being child molesters, cheating on their spouses or engaging in illegal same sex prostitution all while condemning said crimes.

Yep I'm talking about Sandusky, Ted Haggard and David Petraeus' just to name a few.

I'll take my chances with the 'pot heads' thank you very much.

I hear the catholic church and boy scouts are anti-marijuana but don't mind if you rape little boys (as long as it's discrete)

Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
People really think that the state will fill up with degenerates and all of the nice families will flee? That is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I mean, besides the fact that people have an interest in living here...jobs, homes, neighborhoods, and a love of their state...

I can't imagine sending my kid the message that if your government or people around you happen to disagree with your values, you had better run away lest you be corrupted by their behavior. I'd much rather teach them right from wrong and that you need to stand strong in what you believe regardless of what the law says and what is happening around you. Again, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's always right. I don't want my kids participating directly or indirectly in smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, any girl getting an abortion, etc. and I do my best to teach them why. I don't depend on the law to show them the way. That's absurd.

The people make the laws, not the other way around.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
People really think that the state will fill up with degenerates and all of the nice families will flee? That is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
It's right in line with "Romney didn't win, I'm moving to Canada". 99.9% of the time it's an empty threat that will never be carried through, made in haste.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
It's right in line with "Romney didn't win, I'm moving to Canada". 99.9% of the time it's an empty threat that will never be carried through, made in haste.
I wonder if that threat has ever been carried out, even once.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd be surprised if anyone did.

Illegal MJ is everywhere so no real sense in leaving CO unless they want to make a statement of some sort but IMO that's foolish on their part and more of a statement about their own closed minds.
No they don't have closed minds, they've just made a choice not have it in their environment as much as possible.

Tolerance cuts both ways. The left proclaims this great tolerance they have, but they are only tolerant when you agree with them, otherwise you are "closed minded".

Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
No they don't have closed minds, they've just made a choice not have it in their environment as much as possible.

Tolerance cuts both ways. The left proclaims this great tolerance they have, but they are only tolerant when you agree with them, otherwise you are "closed minded".
You are really bad about taking the extremists view of any topic and making that the mantra of everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado