Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No not if said it the correct way like that. But if you said I was "a Big Mac fan", I'd probably wonder what the hell you were talking about. You do under stand how punctuation changes the meaning of something, right? Sorry, I asked that. I guess you don't.

You are not paying any attention to anything posted in this thread are you? You missed that point that Apple makes a verity of different mice, non of which have a single button as you claim, and you are free to choose any or none of Apple's mice. Since you have demonstrated that you have no knowledge of what Apple's mice are actually like, your opinion that they are goofy, really doesn't mean much.
I have demonstrated that I had no knowledge of Apple's mouse? I wasn't aware I was demonstrating anything!

A few users at work has Apple laptops which I indirectly and unwillingly provide support on, I have seen the mouse that they are using which came with the laptops and they have single-button mouse which is extremely odd, confusing and even annoying for a PC user like myself.
I could have sworn I mentioned that same exact thing multiple times before but for some reason you do not get that and somehow manage to misinterpret and warp things. I have never said Apple didn't have other kinds of mouse, I was only commenting on what I saw and had experience with, get it?

Oh boy, thank you for this grand opportunity to slam you sideways and set your cocky behind in place:
1) Letter capitalization used in acronyms and abbreviations have nothing to do with punctuation.
2) For someone like you who acts all high and mighty on punctuation and grammar to not know how to spell the words 'understand' and 'variety' is laughable to say the least.
3) Saying "variety of different mice" is also redundant.
4) You do not say mice when referring to the computer peripheral known as mouse. The fact that you insist on saying 'mice' even though in computer lingo, as I mentioned in my earlier post that 'mouse' is singular and also plural at the same time, leads me to believe you are the one who doesn't pay attention. Or perhaps who think you are the 'sh.t' and you cannot be wrong so you automatically discard what I said? Either way, good luck with your ego.

Quote:
Most people who have actually seen or tried an Apple mouse, would probably agree, that like them or not, Apple's mice are pretty revolutionary and innovative. Unlike Microsoft's line of mice, which are the same stale two buttons plus scroll wheel crap that they have been selling for ten years.
I am one of those people, didn't care for their 'innovative' mouse design. Btw, innovative doesn't mean better and further more, a peripheral alone will not be the selling point of an operating system any more than a reason to disregard it. Further more, even though MS might have a few mouse of their own, the device 'mouse' is not based on an operating system but on a platform such as PC or Apple/Mac.

Next time, get your facts straight before you try to humiliate someone.
You come off like a jackass, nothing more. I am a jackass to some probably but at least I do have my facts straight. If I am wrong, I will research further to find out. If I am indeed wrong, correct myself and move on.

I make a lot of typos or other errors in my posts that I realize later on if I re-read what I wrote. I could proof read my posts but often I am drinking or doing other crap so I really do not pay too much attention and naturally I do not pick on other for that reason. It really doesn't make sense to be a square and pick on people because of their spelling or grammar errors on a social online forum, especially when your own skills at lacking.

I am done with this silly discussion which outlived whatever purpose or point it had even if it had one. If you still care to continue on, then you are on your own so by all means...

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 10-17-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Reread my post. I stated it. Obviously a battery with nine hours of battery life, is not made of the same quality, as one that lasts just one hour. The inability of you Mac haters to see the difference between a cheap plastic enclosure that will fall apart in six months, and a durable aluminum enclosure that will protect your investment, sounds like psychological thing.
First off, assuming your made up stats are accurate, neither of those add up to the $800 difference between the 2 laptops posted. You are still paying for overpriced hardware. Second, where did you get your pretend stats? I checked the site for the laptop and am wondering where it says the case is made of plastic. Same with the battery life. If what you say is true, it would be reflected in the reviews, but it is not. Yes, psychological. You are afraid to admit you pay for overpriced hardware and resort to making things up. Again, a long lasting battery and more durable case does not cost $800. Maybe if it was ruggidized, but mac books are not ruggidized.

Last edited by Brill; 10-17-2010 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
First off, assuming your made up stats are accurate, neither of those add up to the $800 difference between the 2 laptops posted. You are still paying for overpriced hardware. Second, where did you get your pretend stats? I checked the site for the laptop and am wondering where it says the case is made of plastic. Same with the battery life. If what you say is true, it would be reflected in the reviews, but it is not. Yes, psychological. You are afraid to admit you pay for overpriced hardware and resort to making things up. Again, a long lasting battery and more durable case does not cost $800. Maybe if it was ruggidized, but mac books are not ruggidized.
Open your eyes, you silly Apple hater. Here is the review. Relevant parts highlighted. Note the MSRP: $3,249 and $1,704 stating price, and then admit that it is you who is afraid to admit you pay for overpriced hardware, and then fool yourself into believing that you are getting the same quality as Apple makes.

Sager NP8690 Review

The Sager NP8690 is a top-end 15.6-inch gaming notebook featuring an Intel Core i7 Extreme processor and Nvidia GTX 280M graphics card. How does the NP8690 measure up to other gaming notebooks? Read on to find out.
Special thanks go out to Justin at XoticPC.com for sending us this unit.

Our Sager NP8690 has the following specifications:
15.6-inch 1080p (1920x1080) display with LED backlighting
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 920XM processor (2.0GHz/3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB L3 cache)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M 1GB graphics card
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM (2x 4GB)
500GB 7200RPM hard drive (Seagate Momentus 7200.4/ST9500420AS)
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300AGN
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+ wireless
8X DVD burner
One-year limited warranty
3-cell Li-polymer battery (3800mAh/42.18Wh)
Weight: 7.38 lbs
Dimensions: 14.75†(W) x 10.0†(D) x 1.65~2.0†(H)
MSRP: $3,249
The NP8690 starts at $1,704 however there are several very expensive options on our test unit that bring it north of three thousand.

The 920XM Extreme processor commands a $755 premium over the base 720QM processor, 8GB of RAM is an additional $485, and Windows 7 Ultimate is $185. The Nvidia GTX 280M video card is standard.

Build and Design
The NP8690 is visually uninspiring and has a traditional rectangular shape based on the Clevo W860CU. This notebook appears to have been designed without any intention of making it physically attractive as the exterior is quite bland. It is unusually thick for a modern notebook at two inches high and looks chunky. The NP8690 is constructed entirely of plastic, which is slightly thicker than what makes up the construction of most consumer notebooks. The visible surfaces of the notebook and the back of the lid are non-reflective dark gray plastic; the non-reflective surfaces are welcome since they do not show fingerprints or dust like glossy plastic. There is only a small amount of glossy plastic on this notebook: the strip above the keyboard and the screen border.
The NP8690 generally exhibits little flex and the chassis is resistant to twisting. The lid is a weak point: it is easy to twist and ripples appear on the screen when pressure is applied from behind. The hinges are reasonably solid though it does not make up for the lack of strength in the lid itself. Fit and finish is good; all parts fit together with even spacing and there are no unfinished or rough edges.
The build quality is acceptable overall, but on a notebook starting close to $2,000 we would like to see some metal alloys used. Of course, the use of plastics helps the NP8690 remain relatively light at only 7.38 pounds. The bland styling is a dual-edged blade; for those that do not care or do not want to be noticed it is a plus, otherwise it can be a deal-breaker.

Battery Life
The NP8690 has an unusually small 42Wh battery, which, as configured, yields only 57 minutes of battery life while surfing the Internet with the screen brightness one notch above minimum. The battery functions more like an extended UPS. Even for a gaming notebook, a sub one-hour battery life is abysmal.

Conclusion
The NP8690 is without doubt one of the fastest gaming notebooks on the market. It manages heat well and has a beautiful 1080p screen. We also liked the keyboard and touchpad. The build quality is good but for the price we would have appreciated the use of metal alloys or an alternative. The major downsides of this notebook are its boring design and sub one-hour battery life. For those in the market for a no-frills notebook focused solely on performance, the NP8690 is worthy of consideration.
Pros:
Very high performance
Decent build quality
Beautiful 1080p display
Good keyboard/touchpad
Excellent cooling system
Cons:
Sub one-hour battery life
Expensive
Odd keyboard layout

Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
You obviously picked a horrible computer to compare with. Which Apple laptop are you comparing it to?

Honestly, though, no laptop really breaks in 6 months. Whether it be apple or pc.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically computers are not any longer at the top of the electronics want list anymore really. More and more don't have to have the latest and greatest. The poricwe difference alone makes aplle only for thsoe who really are into computers now days which is not growing really on the want list.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Open your eyes, you silly Apple hater.
Resorting to name calling...how mature.

Anyway, my point still stands, a longer lasting battery does not cost $800.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
those among you with the strongest opinions about computer operating systems - we could really use you over in the R & P forum.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
those among you with the strongest opinions about computer operating systems - we could really use you over in the R & P forum.
You mean this thread? http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...computers.html

Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
You know in all my years on various forums, I've often found those that scream "fanboi" tend to be the very one's that are...

Quote:
My Black MacBook has a battery that can be removed in 5 seconds. Put a coin in the slot, turn, and it pops out. It was one of the main reasons I bought the machine. Does anybody else care. No. Would PC fanbois be converted if Apple went back to that system. No, they would just find some other reason to hate on Apple. Like the one button mouse, that Apple doesn't even have.
I don't hate Apple, they've made me a decent amount of money on their stock price, but I wouldn't own one.

Quote:
Yes, but since only one Mac user in 10,000 even knows how to run OS X in root, that is a non-issue in the real world.
Only one user in 10,000 knows today, how about tomorrow, how about in 5 years? Security through ignorance is not security (we already know this). It a race between those that want to access those things that are protected vs. those protecting those things to ignore this is to be already behind in that race.

Quote:
Nice, you had me ready to buy one, until I read the info on it. 7 pounds of clunky plastic, 2 inches thick, with a whopping one hour of battery life, vs 5.6 pounds of aircraft grade aluminum unibody, 0.95 inches thick, and nine hours of battery life. The full price of the Sager is $1705. Less then 15% cheaper the the MBP. That fact that the Sager is discounted that much, tells you how much interest there is in that white elephant. Meanwhile the MBPs keep flying off the selves at the Apple Store with no discount what so ever.
I don't know where you got the $1705 from, my buddy just bought one (which is how I knew about them) for the price stated $1172.13. I think basing the price on a year old review (3/12/2009 which incidentally has different hardware specs an i7 proc in the review to an i5, apples to oranges?) is either ignorant or dishonest, prices change rapidly in the PC market, since the whole PC manufacturing model was commoditized in the 80's. I've bought graphics cards for $500 that the next month were dropped to $250 (if only I'd known before I dropped the cash). Also note I did not push the specs of the Sager, I tried to keep it as level as I could with the current iteration of the MacBook Pro 15", although I will state that the Sager comes with a higher definition display (1920x1080) over the MacBook (1440x900).

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KaaBoom View Post
As I stated in a previous post in this thread. You are making the same mistake many PC fanbois make. By comparing the price of high-end hardware to cheap Walmart quality crap. To be fair you have compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
No the only mistake that is made is that you believe that the components that go into an Mac are any higher quality than those that go into a PC.

Pray tell me who makes the Apple GPU... nVidia, Who makes PC GPU's nVidia (and AMD), Processors, PC-Intel or AMD, Apple Intel (or from the PowerPC Days IBM), Chipsets Intel or nVidia (PC's have these and others), RAM...? Well it's likely one of the 8 major memory chip manufacturers internationally (Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Samsung, Panasonic or NEC most likely) on someone else's PCB (Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Crucial), Sound well Mac I don't know to be honest but D/A converters are not that difficult to manufacture, the Sager is Soundblaster Compatible 3D, not a great sound processor, but certainly decent enough. So either PC's have Walmart cheap crap, and so do Apple, or PC's have high end hardware and so do Apple.

Mac's like PC's and the Space Shuttle are built with components sourced from the lowest bidder. In the Mac and PC world these are off the shelf, components, from the same manufacturers, even those custom pieces (printed circuit boards for example) will be run through the same plants as each other.

The only high end piece of hardware in the Apple that does not apply to the Sager is the case, it would be nice to have a better case, but no offense when you're using that PC for what it's designed for, you're very unlikely to notice the sleek (or lack thereof) case. Bet you also buy those $100 6' Monster HDMI cables too, because you get a better picture on your HDTV over the $6 bargain basement HDMI cables.

Of course if you want a nice case... You could get an Alienware at roughly the cost of the Apple with the same specs as the Sager.

Now the battery life is true, but horses for courses, how long would a MacBook battery last if you were running Half-Life 2 at max resolution? Not long I'd wager. Certainly not 9 hours. Apple themselves state that the battery life is UP TO 8-9 hours, and it may well be that long, but I'd bet dollars to donuts its under optimal conditions (minimal processor and graphics load, in cool conditions without any fans running). Weight, the Apple is 5.6lbs, the Sager is 7.38lbs (a whopping 1.78lbs difference) the difference is unlikely to be a significant issue to most people.

Quote:
Well I can't argue with that.
Yay! we have an agreement.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Isn't this the same argument? Windows is an OS. Apple is a computer. Wanna compare?
Win 7 vs OSX Snow Leopard
PC laptop components vs Macintosh laptop components.

If you bench test comparable hardware using the same tests, you won't find a nickles difference between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers