Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Just wanted to respond to this part here.

I got pulled over for going 72 in a 55 zone. I pled not guilty and took it to court. I got to Meriden, prepared to tell the judge that the officer didn't have a radar reading, and that I was going the speed of traffic, and the cop had actually passed me at one point during the stretch.

The cop didn't show up, and they nolled the ticket instead of giving me a chance to state my case. I went home with no ticket, no fine, no charge

BTW: I was going in excess of 72. Closer to 75. But there wasn't much traffic, it was mid-afternoon on I-91S in the Wallingford area, clear weather, clear road, I was in the middle lane, and someone had just passed me (indicating that I was, in fact, moving at the general speed of traffic). I'm not excusing my speeding. I speed. I like speeding, I don't apologize for it, I don't justify it. The above is an explanation of me, being a *responsible* driver, regardless of the arbitrary number on a speed limit sign.
Shouldn't that be a reason to raise the limit? Then, you wouldn't be "speeding". You would simply be driving responsibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM

442 posts, read 455,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't know any officer in the state of CT that will pull someone over for going 75 or under, even in a 55 zone.

Quote:
Wrong. Numerous studies have been done that said regardless of what the posted limit is, people will drive how they feel comfortable. Just because the limit goes up (or down) doesn't mean people's driving habits will change.
I don't know what motivates people to drive dangerously over the speed limit. Maybe they feel comfortable knowing they won't get pulled over, as stated above (my bold). Maybe they feel going 20 mph over the posted limit is acceptable and therefore will drive faster. That might be their comfort zone.

Quote:
Uh, slamming on your brakes for a tailgater can land you with numerous charges, such as reckless driving and assault with a deadly weapon (if they hit you). Your retaliation of slamming on your brakes is far worse, according to the law, than tailgating.
Um, I didn't say that I slam on the brakes. I said tailgaiting is wreckless because you can never know what might jump or run in front of the car ahead of you. It's dangerous. Period.

Quote:
Exactly, and I'm trying to get the uninformed to understand this. Like I said in a previous post, accident's are usually caused by poor maneuvers (granted many of them are caused when trying to get around a slow driver) and/or distracted driving.
Speeding might not be the cause of most accidents, but is 100 % avoidable. Don't speed. Don't talk on the phone. Don't drive drunk. Etc.

Get upset at all of us obeying the laws if you want, but there really are bigger problems than driving faster.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Don't speed. Don't talk on the phone. Don't drive drunk. Etc.

Get upset at all of us obeying the laws if you want, but there really are bigger problems than driving faster.
You make it sound like you never went 45 in a 40.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.
In theory that's how it should be, but experience in states where speed limits are aready at the 75 mph level has shown me that there will still be people passing you on the left and on the right, unless you go over the speed limit too.

95% of the people will simply become faster criminals. That's all.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
95% of the people will simply become faster criminals. That's all.
If you go back and read, studies have shown otherwise.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Kid, these are just people's opinions and we just disagree. You asked us what we thought about this, and not everyone is on board. It's just not a good idea in everyone's mind. There's no need to get defensive. Relax.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I've never heard of anyone being pulled over in CT for anything under 80 on an interstate. The speed limit is not enforced, NO ONE drives at it, so it should be adjusted and consistently enforced.

I think it's totally reasonable that the speed limit be 75, and a variance of 5MPH over and under is accepted, but 80 and above and you're susceptible for a ticket. That's exactly how it works now, but with speed limit signs that everyone ignores.

If someone drives 55 (the current limit) on 95 in rush hour traffic that's moving swiftly, they should get a ticket. It's dangerous and disrupts the flow of traffic.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Kid, these are just people's opinions and we just disagree. You asked us what we thought about this, and not everyone is on board. It's just not a good idea in everyone's mind. There's no need to get defensive. Relax.
That's understandable, but as stated, scientific studies have been done on this. It's not getting defensive because most people fail to read an entire thread before responding. I'm simply directing them to where the study was noted. One thing I can't stand is uninformed opinions.

Opinions can't trump a scientific study (or studies). Period.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Scientific studies aside, I'm just not a fan of further promoting potentially dangerous behavior. And studies have their own baises too. Like the so-called "studies" that love to boast that red-light cameras always decrease the number of people that run lights - leaving out the fact that the number of rear-end accidents involved as a result of these always increase tenfold (which is a reason why many states that installed them have since taken then down). If one wants to rely on a study, fair enough - but let's look at from all sides.

And one thing this study won't discuss is convenience. Is it wrong to suggest that we've become so accostomed to everything being convenient and readily available that we become peevish and self-centered the minute we don't get our way - and that this may play a role in people's behavior on the road? So we have a number of people acting irresponsibly on the interstates and we give them even more freedom than they can handle by raising the speed limit? I dunno. To me, that's like having your dog pee on the carpet and then you give him a treat.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Study Links Higher Speed Limits to Deaths

Quote:
"There's so many going faster than that, I don't stop cars at 75," Hypes said in a blue and gray state police car parked in the median near Dixie Caverns.

"Once you get over 75, you're pushing your luck."

Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of state police, "wishes he could put a blue and gray in everybody's rearview mirror," said spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

Most drivers push the limit with speeds along I-81 - Roanoke.com
Quote:
The evidence as to why is clear by looking at other states that have done it. Studies clearly show that higher speed limits lead to more crashes, more injuries and more fatalities.

Last year, the Ohio Turnpike raised its top speed from 65 to 70. The number of accidents rose 5.6 percent in the first year of the higher speed limit. The number of people injured rose even more — by 17 percent.

Those statistics are not new. Highway fatalities have spiked in states that have raised speed limits since the federal repeal of the 55 mph limit in 1995.

In the 10-year period following the federal repeal, more than 12,000 highway deaths nationwide were attributed to a higher speed limit, according to a large study published in the American Journal of Public Health.

The study found a 3 percent increase in road deaths because of higher speed limits. Rural interstates saw a 9 percent increase.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Governors Highway Safety Association consistently drive home the same point: Higher speed limits lead to more fatalities.

Speed kills: Drivers don't need a reason to go faster on Pa. Turnpike | PennLive.com
Quote:
“Drivers travelling that 10mph quicker might reach their destination sooner, but will use about 20% more fuel and emit 20% more CO2.

"There is also likely to be a slight increase in road casualties."

Government warned that proposed 80mph motorway speed limit will put lives at risk | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut