Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Technically, according to what I learned in a training course recently, the majority of accidents on CT interstates are caused by 2 things: slow drivers, and impatient drivers making risky maneuvers to get around those slow drivers. So technically, that driver going 60-65 is a hazard. Whether it's right to speed or not, it is what it is.
I agree. Slow drivers don't belong in the passing lane. And there are signs saying that, but people don't listen and think they're justified in blocking the passing lane for no good reason. Risky maneuvers by more aggressive drivers to get around them add danger.

I am a fast driver and like to go 80-85 mph if conditions allow it. Still, I'm not sure that a 75 mph speed limit is appropriate in many places. I think the speed limits have to be geared to the driving skills and vehicles that predominate on the road, and a lot of people can't handle it. I'd rather see a sustained ticket blitz against left lane blockers (probably unrealistic) to get the message across that they need to move over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How? Again, here you have a large number of people breaking the law every day. These are not common criminals but normally law biding citizens who work every day and pay the taxes that5 built these highways. In other parts of the world the speed limits are much higher on roads like ours. It is provincial thinking to arbitrarily limit speeds when they are designed to accomodate much higher speeds, Jay
Are you a fast driver, Jay? Do you ever get speeding tickets?

I'm going on 14 years without a speeding ticket. Hard to believe, since I'm an incorrigible and habitual speeder. But what saves me is that I don't drive a large number of miles.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToCT36 View Post
I don't see how anyone can get above 65 anyway because your highways in CT are extremely busy.
I can go 80 on I-95 at off hours. And when I'm driving to Boston, I do 85-90 on the stretch of I-84 east of Hartford.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM

442 posts, read 456,060 times
Quote:
Why? Is it better to have more than 50% of the drivers breaking the law driving over the current 65 mph speed limit? Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
This thinking, in my opinion, is seriously flawed.
Quote:
How? Again, here you have a large number of people breaking the law every day. These are not common criminals but normally law biding citizens who work every day and pay the taxes that5 built these highways. In other parts of the world the speed limits are much higher on roads like ours. It is provincial thinking to arbitrarily limit speeds when they are designed to accomodate much higher speeds, Jay
Just because, as you say, the majority of people do it, doesn't make it right and/or safe. Breaking the law is breaking the law, any way you look at it.

The thinking is flawed, in my opinion, because I don't buy the 'majority rules' argument.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Just because, as you say, the majority of people do it, doesn't make it right and/or safe. Breaking the law is breaking the law, any way you look at it.

The thinking is flawed, in my opinion, because I don't buy the 'majority rules' argument.
It's not majority rules.

The highways have been modernized in recent years while the speed limit hasn't.

It's pretty simple.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It's not majority rules.

It's pretty simple.
I was responding to Jay. Please stay on topic.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
If you post in a public forum, anyone can respond.

If you solely want to respond to Jay, there's a feature called "Direct Message".

Now back to the thread...

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
He is on topic.....

Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
If you post in a public forum, anyone can respond.

If you solely want to respond to Jay, there's a feature called "Direct Message".

Now back to the thread...
So, nothing to add? Just having the last word? Real becoming.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
So, nothing to add? Just having the last word? Real becoming.
My addition:

Quote:
It's not majority rules.

It's pretty simple.
I'm sorry you can't handle it, and think that's off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut