Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It is, indeed, quite a feat to tell a story you can't recall.
Very funny. Have you read Trisha Meili's memoir, I Am The Central Park Jogger? There was plenty to tell even though she remembers nothing of having her head bashed in so badly her best friends didn't recognize her and losing 80% of her blood. I hope Chanel Miller never recovers a speck of memory about being raped, but that doesn't alter the fact that her life was changed by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 PM

50 posts, read 25,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The police report stated one perspective and she stated her own....was she wearing both articles of clothing? Alrighty then.
It's not a question of perspective though, it's essentially a matter of FACT. She was wearing her "beige cardigan" over a "skin-tight dress".
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Actually, I have to wonder about a police report using the phrasing of "skin tight" - the term "fitted" would have been more objective.
But there's a discernible difference between a "fitted" dress and one that is "skin-tight". We can all recognize that difference objectively. I think most police officers strive to be as accurate as possible when making a report, and that's how he described it. We have no reason to question his description or his objectivity.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
It's not a question of perspective though, it's essentially a matter of FACT. She was wearing her "beige cardigan" over a "skin-tight dress".But there's a discernible difference between a "fitted" dress and one that is "skin-tight". We can all recognize that difference objectively. I think most police officers strive to be as accurate as possible when making a report, and that's how he described it. We have no reason to question his description or his objectivity.
Well, we didn't have reason to question until we read his choice of phrase "skin tight".

"Skin tight" is synonymous with "fitted", as far as a dress description, except "skin tight" is pejorative. Google "fitted dress" images, and it's the appropriate marketing term for a skin tight dress, which is not an appropriate descriptor for a rape victim's clothing.

Stretch fabric dress might have been an appropriate description, or fitted.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
It's not a question of perspective though, it's essentially a matter of FACT. She was wearing her "beige cardigan" over a "skin-tight dress".But there's a discernible difference between a "fitted" dress and one that is "skin-tight". We can all recognize that difference objectively. I think most police officers strive to be as accurate as possible when making a report, and that's how he described it. We have no reason to question his description or his objectivity.
It doesn’t matter what she wore. This is not the fashion forum. She could have been wearing Saran Wtap and it wouldn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that an unconscious person can not give consent. She was sexually assaulted.

Consent is everything.
http://www.consentiseverything.com/

Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It doesn’t matter what she wore. This is not the fashion forum. She could have been wearing Saran Wtap and it wouldn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that an unconscious person can not give consent. She was sexually assaulted.

Consent is everything.
Consent is everything
Hear here! But the implied meaning in the term "skin tight" says something about how the officers on the case read the scene.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:51 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Great example of why shouldn't drink to the point where passed out. The world ins't fair always be Broke Turner's around. Does that give him a pass no he should get the same as anyone else the idea that a white rich college kid gets light sentence is wrong.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:57 PM

50 posts, read 25,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, we didn't have reason to question until we read his choice of phrase "skin tight".

"Skin tight" is synonymous with "fitted", as far as a dress description, except "skin tight" is pejorative. Google "fitted dress" images, and it's the appropriate marketing term for a skin tight dress, which is not an appropriate descriptor for a rape victim's clothing.

Stretch fabric dress might have been an appropriate description, or fitted.
I respectfully disagree. I just Googled both "skin-tight dress" images and "fitted dress" images, and I believe there's a clear distinction. See attachments.

I wouldn't necessarily say that "skin-tight" is a pejorative, though I can agree it may carry a certain connotation. I presume her dress looked more like photo #1 than Photo #2, and so the officer described it as he saw it. He didn't assume her to be a "rape victim". He was being objective, as he should have. We don't know exactly what Chanel was wearing; we don't have any photos from the crime scene. We do know that she felt the need to mention her "beige cardigan" repeatedly in her VIS while failing to mention the dress underneath it. Ask yourself "why?".
Attached Thumbnails
Brock Turner case - Emily Doe reveals her identity-skin-tight-dress.jpg   Brock Turner case - Emily Doe reveals her identity-fitted-dress.jpg  

Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
If Brock Turner had been a young, non-college educated black male, he'd be in prison right now. We have two systems of justice in our country, one for wealthy and whites, the other one for minorities and poor.
Yes with a black guy and her being white, yes most likely prison. If it was a homeless couple probably public intoxication or lewd behavior, but probably not arrested or out in 24 hours.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
She is much older. Both were drunk, she didn’t go to school there. He was underage. Yet he went to prison?

Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
She is much older. Both were drunk, she didn’t go to school there. He was underage. Yet he went to prison?

He is the only one that committed a crime, why should anyone else go to Prison? Maybe the people that supplied the drinks but that's a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events