Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,670 times

Advertisements

Wow...that was fast. Let us know how everything works out for you. I knew once you arrived here and looked around that you would like our little town. BTW though, ummmmmmm the temperatures so far this spring have been relatively mild for this time of year. We do get heat and humidity in the summer but probably not as much as in Louisiana. Enjoy your stay !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla43 View Post
Hello PA!

Thanks for the warm welcome. We're here in Dover staying at the Residence Inn not from Delaware State University and the weather is beautiful! We thought it was going to be overcast and rainy all week! What a change from the hot, sticky, humid weather in Louisiana. We love it! We spent the day house hunting with our broker and guess what? We placed an offer of a home in Magnolia, DE! What a small world. In fact, I just went to the Caesar Rodney High School web page to check it out for our daughter. Yes, the lawns and yards are so beautiful and we think we found the perfect house for our family. We're waiting to see if the Builder accepted our offer. We're exhausted, and yes there were areas that had were no available homes for sale, but we took a quick peek anyway from the outside. Now, it's a wait and see game. I'll write again soon. Maybe we'll catch up with each other in Magnolia! LOL! :-)

Magilla
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I am so happy for you.........Best of luck.......Fantastic!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:34 AM

23 posts, read 61,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Wow...that was fast. Let us know how everything works out for you. I knew once you arrived here and looked around that you would like our little town. BTW though, ummmmmmm the temperatures so far this spring have been relatively mild for this time of year. We do get heat and humidity in the summer but probably not as much as in Louisiana. Enjoy your stay !
Yes, it was quick, but we had been doing our homework before we arrived. Also, our real estate broker from Keller-Williams (David) is fantistic, really on the ball! We are very happy with our decision and feel that God led us to this property. I know we've made the right choice! I'll check in from time to time to let you how things are going. Now on to the home inspection!

Magilla

Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 AM

134 posts, read 332,244 times
Spend some time at the beaches! You're only about an hour or so from Rehobeth, Dewey, Bethany and a little farther south is my favorite Ocean City MD!
Your kids will thank you!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
seacrets........
We are in kent county and just love the idea of being a half hour from the beaches. What a treat in our retirement years.
I get up.what do I want to do? pool or the beach. How luck can you get.

Henelopen is one of my favs not only for the beach but biking, walking and all kinds of nature stuff.
If the sun is out this weekend......we will be at the beach.........

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM

271 posts, read 995,750 times
Magilla,

We've lived in the Dover area for more than thirty years, and, yes, we are ready to move on--have been, for various reasons, for quite a while--yet I want to respond to your excitement about the area positively, and I can do that!

Our favorite times here were when our children were young--they grew up here--and the first several years included quite a few happy discoveries. You are, as Eliza and others (probably) have told you, about half an hour to the ocean beaches from Magnolia, and I agree that Cape Henlopen is one of the best. From our part of Dover, it takes about an hour to get to the ocean beaches. And if nobody has mentioned this, it can be longer during the summer months. We leave early for the beaches, return early, and during the week is better than weekends, of course.

If you're driving west to DC or elsewhere, keep in mind that the Chesapeake Bay Bridges, and approaching roads, are truly to be avoided on Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings, when the hordes return from the beaches. They tend to leave to drive east TO the beaches from later Thursday afternoons (especially from July on) and there can be back-ups of many miles and hours on Fridays and Saturdays especially.

Our children, husband and I too, so enjoyed Killens Pond State Park, not far south of Dover. There's a busy waterpark there now, but the best place is the pond, with a trail all the way around. According to us anyway. The pond is surrounded by woods, and there's enough hilliness to make us almost feel as if we're in New England.

Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge, not far to the northeast, is an amazing place for those who like birds and wetlands flora, including changing displays of wildflowers throughout the spring and summer, and lovely foliage colors in the fall. Get literature at Refuge headquarters. This isn't the time of year for getting out of your car unless you don't mind spraying yourselves from head to toe with chemicals, but riding through now is pleasant, and there are some paths to walk from later October until sometime in May, and during the cooler months, the migrating birds are wonderful! One sight to alert you to: you can clearly see a nuclear plant (in New Jersey) from parts of the Refuge, but we learned early on to block this from our consciousness! Well, most of the time.

Check out Dover's several museums. They are worth some of your time. Plans are being worked out--last I heard--for a new library. I'm sure you'll find much more to report on. Since we've been in the ready-to-move mode for a while, with our gazes turned elsewhere, I depend on new arrivals to report some of the things, places, we may have missed! In fact, when I find some free time, I may post a list of questions!

This has been, as PA (I think--read just a little and rapidly) wrote, an unusually cool and wet spring. It reminds me of the springs of years back. For ten years or so, we've had hot weather and drought commonly in the spring.

Yes, it will get hot and humid. It will not likely--I do know people who've lived there--be nearly as h & h as Louisiana!

All best to you,

Annie

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

134 posts, read 332,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
seacrets........
We are in kent county and just love the idea of being a half hour from the beaches. What a treat in our retirement years.
I get up.what do I want to do? pool or the beach. How luck can you get.

Henelopen is one of my favs not only for the beach but biking, walking and all kinds of nature stuff.
If the sun is out this weekend......we will be at the beach.........

I have a friend that retired and moved to Rehobeth Beach, and she just loves it!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrets View Post
I have a friend that retired and moved to Rehobeth Beach, and she just loves it!
it is a great way to spend the remaining years. We almost retired to Lewse but decided on magnolia instead.
In a way, I"m glad because traffic in lewes/rehobeth is horrendous in the summer.
I'm sure people that live there find a way to get around this though.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM

23 posts, read 61,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Magilla,

We've lived in the Dover area for more than thirty years, and, yes, we are ready to move on--have been, for various reasons, for quite a while--yet I want to respond to your excitement about the area positively, and I can do that!

Our favorite times here were when our children were young--they grew up here--and the first several years included quite a few happy discoveries. You are, as Eliza and others (probably) have told you, about half an hour to the ocean beaches from Magnolia, and I agree that Cape Henlopen is one of the best. From our part of Dover, it takes about an hour to get to the ocean beaches. And if nobody has mentioned this, it can be longer during the summer months. We leave early for the beaches, return early, and during the week is better than weekends, of course.

If you're driving west to DC or elsewhere, keep in mind that the Chesapeake Bay Bridges, and approaching roads, are truly to be avoided on Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings, when the hordes return from the beaches. They tend to leave to drive east TO the beaches from later Thursday afternoons (especially from July on) and there can be back-ups of many miles and hours on Fridays and Saturdays especially.

Our children, husband and I too, so enjoyed Killens Pond State Park, not far south of Dover. There's a busy waterpark there now, but the best place is the pond, with a trail all the way around. According to us anyway. The pond is surrounded by woods, and there's enough hilliness to make us almost feel as if we're in New England.

Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge, not far to the northeast, is an amazing place for those who like birds and wetlands flora, including changing displays of wildflowers throughout the spring and summer, and lovely foliage colors in the fall. Get literature at Refuge headquarters. This isn't the time of year for getting out of your car unless you don't mind spraying yourselves from head to toe with chemicals, but riding through now is pleasant, and there are some paths to walk from later October until sometime in May, and during the cooler months, the migrating birds are wonderful! One sight to alert you to: you can clearly see a nuclear plant (in New Jersey) from parts of the Refuge, but we learned early on to block this from our consciousness! Well, most of the time.

Check out Dover's several museums. They are worth some of your time. Plans are being worked out--last I heard--for a new library. I'm sure you'll find much more to report on. Since we've been in the ready-to-move mode for a while, with our gazes turned elsewhere, I depend on new arrivals to report some of the things, places, we may have missed! In fact, when I find some free time, I may post a list of questions!

This has been, as PA (I think--read just a little and rapidly) wrote, an unusually cool and wet spring. It reminds me of the springs of years back. For ten years or so, we've had hot weather and drought commonly in the spring.

Yes, it will get hot and humid. It will not likely--I do know people who've lived there--be nearly as h & h as Louisiana!

All best to you,

Annie
Hi Annieblue,

I enjoyed reading your newsy note about life in Dover and the surrounding areas. We’re returning home to Louisiana tomorrow, but will be returning with the movers and all our "stuff" in about three week’s time. I can't wait to get started with our adventures in Delaware! I'll be printing out your note as a sort of map to our new adventures. Thanks so much! I appreciate the support I've received from the forum and I must admit that the people here seem really friendly! Yay!

The home inspection today went well (all three hrs.) and in the end, they found only minor things that need to be addressed by the builder. Whew! We have lots to untangle in Louisiana before we return so we’ve got to get going!

One thing for sure, your weather beats ours (at least during this time of year) hands down!

"We’ll be back...!"
Magilla & family

Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
Hi Magilla (& family),

Sorry for the delay in posting, I was MIA most of June dealing with 3 of our kids graduating (not to mention, one being back in NC!). So glad to hear you and your family had such an easy time finding a home here in DE!

I did get your friend request, and look forward to hearing more from you when you get time. I do expect you will be too busy to post in these next few weeks, but will keep your family in my prayers that the move goes without incident!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware