Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 6,852 times

Advertisements

Charlie has encouraged me to post in the forum and introduce myself. I currently live in Orlando FL and 2 of my 3 kids have moved to the DC area. I'm thinking of our retirement future and looking at Delaware as a possible state to retire in. My wife and I have never been are are planning on a trip next spring. I've learned a great deal by reading the posts. Those of you that have done your homework are making it easier for others to follow your lead. Thanks and I'll be asking more questions in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgscms View Post
Charlie has encouraged me to post in the forum and introduce myself. I currently live in Orlando FL and 2 of my 3 kids have moved to the DC area. I'm thinking of our retirement future and looking at Delaware as a possible state to retire in. My wife and I have never been are are planning on a trip next spring. I've learned a great deal by reading the posts. Those of you that have done your homework are making it easier for others to follow your lead. Thanks and I'll be asking more questions in the future.
Welcome aboard. Be sure to ask every question you can think of, particularly to the sales folks at the various communities. Remember, the only stupid question is the one never asked. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM

75 posts, read 140,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Congrats on your loan approval. Let the house-hunting begin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizamary View Post
congrats to NY 2 DE.......exciting...
Thank you...perhaps having a bank backing me up would allow me to negotiate from a stronger position.

Welcome aboard Bgscms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
...Be sure to ask every question you can think of, particularly to the sales folks at the various communities...
I'm pouring over floor plans from the different communities and in the process of composing a list of questions to ask before my trip in september.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM

388 posts, read 998,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DE View Post

I'm pouring over floor plans from the different communities and in the process of composing a list of questions to ask before my trip in september.
Just some suggestions for your Sept trip: measure your largest pieces of furniture to avoid the "I-wonder-if-our-hutch-will-fit-in-here?" type of quandry, a camera for sure, and an open mind. You will see many communities that you like upon first inspection. You will most likely love they way the homes are professionally decorated. Try not to visit more than 2 or 3 communities in a single day or you surely will suffer from information overload! Take breaks, don't forget to eat, and enjoy the process. Elizamary frequently said that the search was an exciting time for her and it is/was for us. Enjoy......

Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 PM

560 posts, read 916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DE View Post
Thank you...perhaps having a bank backing me up would allow me to negotiate from a stronger position.

If you happen to drop in at Roesville, check out our new place. As of this weekend we will have siding and insulation. Pre-drywall inspection/walk-thru is on Monday.
We're getting closer every day...

Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Just some suggestions for your Sept trip: measure your largest pieces of furniture to avoid the "I-wonder-if-our-hutch-will-fit-in-here?" type of quandry, a camera for sure, and an open mind. You will see many communities that you like upon first inspection. You will most likely love they way the homes are professionally decorated. Try not to visit more than 2 or 3 communities in a single day or you surely will suffer from information overload! Take breaks, don't forget to eat, and enjoy the process. Elizamary frequently said that the search was an exciting time for her and it is/was for us. Enjoy......
Great suggestions Little Eggplant. Check one tape measure to go…that’s an excellent idea. One open mind to go (oops…already gone . I usually take a camera with me when I take trips no matter how short or long. I’m aware that information overload is an easy possibility especially when one’s mind is already laboring from sticker shock induced duress. I do intend to take in as much Delaware ambience as possible and plan to enjoy the scenery.

Quote:
If you happen to drop in at Roesville, check out our new place. As of this weekend we will have siding and insulation. Pre-drywall inspection/walk-thru is on Monday.We're getting closer every day...
I certainly do intend to stop in on Roesville. I’m interested in a couple of home layouts in that development. Pre-drywall/walk-thru…enjoy.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
If you happen to drop in at Roesville, check out our new place. As of this weekend we will have siding and insulation. Pre-drywall inspection/walk-thru is on Monday. We're getting closer every day...
Good luck on Monday. I hope it all goes well.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
Default Smoke alarms

All,
For all of you out there that are in the process of moving into a new home I thought I would pass on some information I recently learned about smoke detectors.

Kidde now has a smoke detector Model 0910 that has a 10 year life and you never replace the battery! One of my biggest complaints about the old smoke detectors in my house was getting up on a ladder twice a year to replace the batteries in each smoke detector whether they needed replacing or not. You always wanted to be sure you did not wait until the batteries were actually dead.

I recently had a contractor do some work in my present home and one of the things I asked him to do was to replace my 10 year old smoke detectors with new ones. He replaced them with Kidde Model 0910 which is a sealed alarm which never needs battery replacement. This model runs about $30. The alarm contains lithium batteries that never require replacement and the unit is activiated at install. (You can not deactivate it and then reactivate it - so read instructions carefully before it is installed.)

When you think of the cost I spent on replacing 9 volt batteries twice a year for 10 years, the $30 cost for this new unit is not all that expensive vs. buying a $10 smoke detector plus the cost of batteries for 10 years.

I love that I no longer need to get up on a ladder and change batteries every 6 months for every smoke detector in the house. This smoke detector is something you may want to consider when you move into your new retirement home.

Mary2014

Old 08-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Oh, that's a great tip Mary2014 thanks.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM

560 posts, read 916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Good luck on Monday. I hope it all goes well.
The walk through went well even though the dry wall wasn't yet completed. It's kind of a good thing because the electricians forgot to install the wiring for the ceiling fan and switch in the master BR. Other than that it's looking good. Completion is a bit behind schedule...maybe 2-3 weeks. All of the rain and mud in July delayed the foundation. Not a big problem for us. We want it all done correctly rather than fast. We have plans for a house-warming family Thanksgiving and that's still going to happen.
Hubby rented a storage place in Felton so we can move some of our own stuff up there before the big move.
I'll keep you posted.
Goin'2DE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware