Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 03:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey if you can string together three-four days you're doing great! exercise has been THE key to my success. I feel so good about myself and hell I look great too. Went clothes shopping the other day and it's nice to not have to wear size 18 any longer. It's nice having muscles too.

I do know how you feel, though. I remember how happy I was to hit 170. I was no longer in the "overweight" BMI category. Attaining that goal was big for me. You can do it. And congrats on dating! Have fun!
I'm hoping to hit the normal band soon. Sad to say life has kept me away from the gym for 6 days now, but I'll hit it tomorrow.

Whoever said eat less and exercise more, that's the basis of metabolism! Now all we gotta do is get a healthy diet.

And I agree with Roscoe, you just can't have bread/pasta/rice/etc in your diet every day. Make them a rare treat, or don't eat the whole serving.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm hoping to hit the normal band soon. Sad to say life has kept me away from the gym for 6 days now, but I'll hit it tomorrow.

Whoever said eat less and exercise more, that's the basis of metabolism! Now all we gotta do is get a healthy diet.

And I agree with Roscoe, you just can't have bread/pasta/rice/etc in your diet every day. Make them a rare treat, or don't eat the whole serving.
I eat starches - rice (3/4 cup), pasta (1 cup), bread (1 slice) at least twice, every day

I eat two dessert treats daily.

I eat beans as well, plus an assortment of other grains, vegetables and fruits.

Lost weight. Continuing to maintain my weight.

Why? because i stick within my caloric range. It really comes down to that for me. I get full on less and I don't eat to overfull. Yesterday, I ate about 1580.

Societies across the world consume some form of starches and they aren't all overweight. It's about PORTIONS. A starch should be a small potato, not a huge baking potato. Pasta should be ONE CUP, and rice 3/4 cup.

In addition, because I exercise, I put a demand on my body for fuel. Exercise has become integral to my life, as much as eating and drinking.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM

How does that 1 cup translate into pre-cooked weight? I used to use 2 oz/serving but in recent times 1.5 oz/serving. I have more toppings/sauce than pasta.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
How does that 1 cup translate into pre-cooked weight? I used to use 2 oz/serving but in recent times 1.5 oz/serving. I have more toppings/sauce than pasta.
I just cook a pot's worth and portion it out

Basically my plate is similar to the cafeteria style sectioned plates. Veggies take up half and the remaining two portions is starch and meat. I don't need a huge portion of meat. 4-6 oz is good enough. I do weigh my food, including root vegetables like potatoes.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 PM

I’m single, and spaghetti doesn’t keep well.

You have to use a kitchen scale if for no other reason than to not waste food.

I even weigh my milk and cereal.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Exercise increases the metabolism. And it creates muscle. Lack of exercise slows the metabolism and causes muscle loss.

Restricting calories also slows the metabolism. So you eat less and less, but do not lose fat permanently.

Avoid processed food, especially refined sugar, and exercise enough and your weight will always stay normal.

The CDC recommends 90 minutes of exercise per week, and that seems like not nearly enough.
I am an exercise proponent but exercise does not increase metabolism. If you do a strenuous workout you can burn more calories for a period afterward. In order to increase metabolism you need to increase muscle mass by a fairly large degree. For women that is a tough goal.
People who exercise regularly have higher self esteem and tend not to comfort themselves with food. Or if they do they adjust calories to compensate.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I believe that muscles burn more calories than fat, so if you develop muscles your metabolism would be higher. I don't think that is proven though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am an exercise proponent but exercise does not increase metabolism. If you do a strenuous workout you can burn more calories for a period afterward. In order to increase metabolism you need to increase muscle mass by a fairly large degree. For women that is a tough goal.
People who exercise regularly have higher self esteem and tend not to comfort themselves with food. Or if they do they adjust calories to compensate.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think that exercise increases muscle tissue and burns fat, but I think the effect is only slight, and that in the end workouts make you feel good, feeling good can last a day or more, burning the calories can offset maybe eating slightly too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I believe that muscles burn more calories than fat, so if you develop muscles your metabolism would be higher. I don't think that is proven though.
I gotta tell you this story from my gym.

It's the inverted leg pushes up on weight machine. Picture V shape where one side is the 45 degree angle of your back rest, and the other side is the 45 degree angle with a sliding truck that carries the weights. Your feet push up on a platform. The weights are at rest at top. You push up, unlock the locks, then do maybe 10 reps of lowering the weights down until your knees almost touch your chest, then push the weight back up again. 10 reps and you click in the locks to hold the weights up there. (I really like it.)

At the time I was using one 45 pound weight on each side, total 90 pounds.

So one day I walk over and the machine is busy, it's this petite woman no taller than I, if even. She's using 3 weights on each side, total of 270 pounds. She couldn't have weighed more than 110-120. As I watched it was just blowing my mind, because her legs were a lot smaller than mine. Even discounting I probably have more fat, I'm pretty sure her actual muscles were smaller than mine too!

So she gets done and she's got her music plugged in her ears, and I signaled her to unplug one for a second. Then I told her this:

"If I ever meet up with you in a dark alley, I'm going to drop my wallet and run like hell, and hope you can't catch me!" We had a good laugh and she went on to her next station as I took off the extra weights. (These days I use either 140 or 180 pounds. The 180 is 2 weights on each side, she was using 3 weights on each side.)

So Mikala, the moral is that women can get strong muscles but they don't build up as much muscle tissue as men. Since they don't build up as much muscle tissue they get less effect of the principle that muscle tissue burns more calories at idle than fat tissue does.

And another moral is that men better watch out for small women lest the men get kicked on their you know what!

I really like my gym (LA Fitness) because everybody there is just so positive and into improving their health, everybody there is doing a healthy activity. The staff is great too, they are so helpful and pleasant to talk to. Everybody at the gym is having a good time and enjoying making their bodies and their lives better!

The only other place that I get this feeling is Michael's art supplies, because all the people both customers and staff are into crafts and hobbies and art and decorating, everybody is having a good time doing positive and productive things with their time. (Actually, same thing at Guitar Center.) I bet this is something like going to church or temple is for religious people.

If you want to get happy and healthy you have to bring more healthy activities into your life. Gym is one of them. Watching TV isn't.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:34 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I believe in "consume less, move more". That isn't the same as the rest of what you wrote - eliminating starches, dairy (wth?), and anything else. And dang it, I'm going to enjoy alcohol from time to time and eat dessert daily. Guess what? I lost weight. Because I'm a firm believer in moderation and exercise. I see no need to eliminate anything from one's diet. You need to train your body to get used to smaller portions of everything. It's overly simplistic to think that you can substitute just about everything with protein and vegetables. You're not understanding what drives human beings. Many people crave sugar, salt or fat. Like I said, if I want a chocolate bar, I'll be danged if I eat a big bowl of broccoli with chicken. People desire things not just to fill their belly to satisfy their various urges. How about eat a smaller portion of what you love?

Also, eating chicken/fish and veggies for most of your diet is flat out boring to me. Grilled chicken I presume is chicken breast, which is another boring protein source. I've taken to eating chicken thighs instead. And I also have increased my intake of beef as well. As long as I keep to my caloric range (calculated by Lose It and my own weight loss/gain patterns) and work out, I'm ok.
Congratulations,you've obviously found an eating regime the suits you.
What I was suggesting is that for many people to lose weight reducing the most calorific things like carbs,dairy and alcohol and replacing them with more of the less calorific things like salad,veggies and lean protein is a good way to start.
I happen to like brocolli and chicken - having them baked with garlic,herbs and a sprinkling of freshly-grated parmesan is a delight.
And I too like chicken oyster thighs with the skin removed,covered in a hot sauce and baked - a really healthy alternative to deep-fried wings.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:52 AM

Roscoe, I really like your way of thinking!

I like your inventing a new word, calorific!

While not exactly the stuff I'd pick, if you were my buddy a few miles away I'd dine with you! I'd invite you over to dine with me (I'm an amateur chef) and I'd cook similar stuff, after checking the menu with you to make sure it fit into your plans. Maybe you could bring GF (or YF) and I could have my GF there too!

I'd rather like some wine, but I'd try to not drink too much because they are empty calories and I'd have to work out wasted time burning myself back to what I would have been had I not consumed alcohol.

If GF is who I dated tonight she's probably want this odd cocktail she likes but she'd have only 1 or 2. She has a nice body and doesn't need to do anything other than what she's already doing. (She does yoga and eats rather small helpings.)

I don't get why you think milk is a problem. Please explain. About 2-3 days a week I have milk and cereal. Whenever I have trouble sleeping and wake up middle of the night I drink a glass of warm milk. On occasion I make White, Bechamel or Mornay sauces which are all milk or cream based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss