Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Watch the people load their carts up with wheat derived products and make a note of weight. Ditch all wheat and weight goes down by quite a bit.
True, they are now saying wheat causes inflammation, especially whole wheat.

I saw this video on the times we should be eating as well. I'm not sure I'm sold on it yet but it seems interesting. I'm still researching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo2n50O3orY

Supposedly you can eat anything you want, just in a certain time frame. I would still suggest healthy options.

I'm a firm believer in at least 30 min. a day of brisk walking as well as healthy food options.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Just a comment about scales. I mentioned food scales.

Weighing yourself daily is such a chore. Yet I really like the data. I have the Weight Gurus WiFi scale, and I get not only weight but also muscle %, fat %, and BMI. And it charts on a cell or tablet app. Just strip down and no socks.

It integrates with my Fitbit too.

Not just this brand, any brand that does that will do. You don't have to look at the data daily. Just weigh daily and look at it whenever.
That's really cool. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
That video is giving me ADD. I can't watch something that slow without trying to multi-task something else.

Could somebody who watched the whole thing just give me the # hours best eating window?

I often eat just dinner. Sometimes I have 2 poached eggs, or milk and cereal about 4-6 hours earlier, workout between.

I know eating just one meal is bad, but it's what I like. I think of it as fasting 22 hours each day.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 AM

239 posts, read 194,820 times
When i go to TJ's or Wholefoods i see a lot of normal healthy looking customers. I see more and more people in the U.S. are eating healthier, going to the gym, hiking, walking..

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
That video is giving me ADD. I can't watch something that slow without trying to multi-task something else.

Could somebody who watched the whole thing just give me the # hours best eating window?

I often eat just dinner. Sometimes I have 2 poached eggs, or milk and cereal about 4-6 hours earlier, workout between.

I know eating just one meal is bad, but it's what I like. I think of it as fasting 22 hours each day.
Eating one meal isn't bad. My system was messed up from years of second shift work and late eating patterns. I follow the research that promotes your natural circadian cycle, eating your largest meal in the morning and making sure you don't eat after dark. I try to eat by 10 am and my 2nd/last meal by 7.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:19 PM

I get you Kara. I don't even try to fit into some preconception of what a cycle should be. It's my sleep-work-play cycle that I've been doing for many decades, and continues into retirement. I'm there now, drinking coffee at 11 a.m. and not hungry. I'm retired so my "work" is surfing the Internet. I did gym yesterday (that's work) and as far as I care I can be still doing it until 5-ish when I'll get hungry. I'll pour a bit of wine and eat some salty treats, and thaw a steak for a "keto" dinner. I'll eat that with some vegetables and a bit more wine, and then wait until tomorrow and see if I feel like breakfast then.

BTW I have always considered my wine and gourmet dinner as a reward for a hard day's work.

My timing is all wrong but I am making steady progress towards my goal of normal range BMI. Along the way my frequent workouts are giving me increasing muscle definition (I'm sure my lady will like that), my waist is within 2" of my old standard (and a dozen pairs of jeans hanging in my closet, unworn, some of them never worn), and I expect by end of summer I'll be buff and swaggering!

The important part is that I am eating whole foods, not packaged foods, I'm trying to control my consumption, and I am getting frequent exercise at the gym. There is no way I can fail unless I stop.

And as I think we all agree, find a plan that works for you, and I have!

Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I get you Kara. I don't even try to fit into some preconception of what a cycle should be. It's my sleep-work-play cycle that I've been doing for many decades, and continues into retirement. I'm there now, drinking coffee at 11 a.m. and not hungry. I'm retired so my "work" is surfing the Internet. I did gym yesterday (that's work) and as far as I care I can be still doing it until 5-ish when I'll get hungry. I'll pour a bit of wine and eat some salty treats, and thaw a steak for a "keto" dinner. I'll eat that with some vegetables and a bit more wine, and then wait until tomorrow and see if I feel like breakfast then.

BTW I have always considered my wine and gourmet dinner as a reward for a hard day's work.

My timing is all wrong but I am making steady progress towards my goal of normal range BMI. Along the way my frequent workouts are giving me increasing muscle definition (I'm sure my lady will like that), my waist is within 2" of my old standard (and a dozen pairs of jeans hanging in my closet, unworn, some of them never worn), and I expect by end of summer I'll be buff and swaggering!

The important part is that I am eating whole foods, not packaged foods, I'm trying to control my consumption, and I am getting frequent exercise at the gym. There is no way I can fail unless I stop.

And as I think we all agree, find a plan that works for you, and I have!
I have a glass of wine every evening and I'm not giving it up for a "diet." It's my treat to myself and it's red wine so I think it's healthy. Also, a glass of wine doesn't seem to inhibit my weight loss. Which is a good thing because I really like it - LOL.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have a glass of wine every evening and I'm not giving it up for a "diet." It's my treat to myself and it's red wine so I think it's healthy. Also, a glass of wine doesn't seem to inhibit my weight loss. Which is a good thing because I really like it - LOL.
Oh Kathryn, you are my kind of person! Me too! My glass of wine is a treat for putting up with all the BS and drama that every day offers.

Sometimes a glass can be bigger. My sister in South Africa says her glass is 500 mL. I would argue but se says she's a mean drunk and I know her well enough to take her word. (We are so close!)

Just to be real, I don't believe the red wine thing. I think the scientific evidence is sketchy at best.

But we are birds of a feather. I think I think my plan can work (and it is working) without giving up my wine entirely. If that turns out to not be true then I will switch to having wine only when dining out, knowing I dine out only about 2-3 days a week. I can live with 4-5 days a week without my whine.

Worst case is that giving up wine can make it happen sooner. Guess what? I don't care how long it takes to get to my "fighting" weight. All I care is that it happens this year. I have almost 7 full months to make that happen.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Oh Kathryn, you are my kind of person! Me too! My glass of wine is a treat for putting up with all the BS and drama that every day offers.

Sometimes a glass can be bigger. My sister in South Africa says her glass is 500 mL. I would argue but se says she's a mean drunk and I know her well enough to take her word. (We are so close!)

Just to be real, I don't believe the red wine thing. I think the scientific evidence is sketchy at best.

But we are birds of a feather. I think I think my plan can work (and it is working) without giving up my wine entirely. If that turns out to not be true then I will switch to having wine only when dining out, knowing I dine out only about 2-3 days a week. I can live with 4-5 days a week without my whine.

Worst case is that giving up wine can make it happen sooner. Guess what? I don't care how long it takes to get to my "fighting" weight. All I care is that it happens this year. I have almost 7 full months to make that happen.

Amen and amen (except for the one glass of red wine thing - I think there's enough evidence to show it's probably more good than bad for us). Anyway, like you, I'm in no rush. One reason is that I've seen older folks (and I'm 56) lose weight too fast and their skin doesn't snap back into place all that easily. So slow and steady wins the race for me.

For instance, in May I only lost about a pound or two. But I lost TWELVE INCHES. That tells me that my body is adjusting and that my older skin is tightening back up - but it doesn't tighten up immediately like it did when I was younger. So I don't mind if the weight loss is slow. Like you, I'm giving myself a year and I already have dropped TEN SIZES at "only" 32 pounds lost. Or five sizes if you want to count in two's like sizes generally do. From a 20 to a 12 - and I'm tall and muscular (5'8"). Let's put it this way - I was a cheerleader and as fit and trim as anyone could be in high school and I wore a size 10. Oh, and my measurements were 36-24-36 (not happening now - LOL) and yes, I thought the Commodores wrote a song just for me. So if it takes me a year to get back into a size 10 so be it - I'm getting close! That's the perfect size for me because of my height and build.

One fun thing I did recently was go out and buy all new panties and bras. WOOHOO! And I bought pretty ones - not just "functional" ones.

So yes, we have to learn how to live - the life we want to live, within reason. I am patient - after all, it took me several years of trauma and stress to get where I was 4 months ago, and I'm 2/3s of the way to where I want to be - so...no rush. I'll have that glass of wine! And the creamer in my coffee too - life's too short to deprive myself of the little things I dearly love.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
While your observation is valid vis a vis nutrition in America today, there is a deeper reason I think. One that motivates people to eat this way.

For many, many people food represents the only thing that makes them feel good in their life. Perhaps they are financially stressed, or they are in a bad relationship or NO relationship and very lonely. Maybe they hate their job or their life in general. There is no mystery that much of the "opioid crisis" is about trying to escape an unhappy reality. My opinion is that FOOD is may people's drug of choice. Think about it in your own life. Food soothes, it makes you feel comfortable and joyful and above-all else LOVED.

I think that if we lived in a world that was a little kinder, a little less cruel, that there would be a lot fewer fat people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss