Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,086 times

Advertisements

hi charlies mum

Sorry to hear that charlie is having problems breathing, i hope he gets well soon. Sandies mass is also pretty massive measuring 5inches but because the biopsy was inconclusive i dont know how much of it is the actual tumour, hopefully tomorrow will bring more results. I dont really think the vet has a clue about nasal cancer so will be glad when i take her tomorrow.

Approx 3weeks ago when the mri scan was done it shown that it hadnt gone into the brain but we all know how aggresive this can be so god knows.Like charlie sandy has begun to have trouble breathing, its very noisy and she sleeps alot more and it brks my heart but what can we do???

Just about to take sandy and rolo out for their run so i am hoping that she wants to go.

Tell charlie to hang in there

VRCC where i am taking her tomorrow have a multi slice ct scanner and a linear accelertor 6million volt mchine? its the best centre in the u.k so lets hope.

Jules/sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,517 times
Default My cat has nasal cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Probertsmama, you have 2 handsome dogs! So sorry you are going through this. I had a cat w/nasal cancer and he fought a good fight. It's hard when they sound like they can't breathe. Hugs to all of you on this thread!
Can you share your experience with your cat's nasal cancer? My cat has nasal cancer and not much hope at this point. I can share more if you respond....

Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM

26 posts, read 68,781 times
Hi Marilyn- Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Great news! Hardee's swollen lymph node was an infection, so he's been on antibiotics to clear that up. I feel like we dodged a bullet there! He was very sick though, but he's feeling better now.

We went to Arizona this past weekend to let Hardee have one last swim in a lake before it gets too cold. He had a blast swimming to retrieve his water bumper over and over again. It was hot but beautiful, and we had a fabulous time.

I'm sorry to read that Charlie is sneezing and having trouble breathing again already. Please let me know what the drs. say about further radiation. If it is any consolation, Hardee has sneezed constantly throughout his cancer, so for him, the sneezing has been sort of a neutral sign that has always been there no matter what treatment we did. Any sort of movement seems to trigger a sneeze. It has been almost 15 months since diagnosis.

I hope you are all enjoying your time with your pups. If Hardee feels up to it, he will run agility this weekend with his dad.

Jen

Old 10-29-2011, 02:18 AM

6 posts, read 17,086 times
Default sarcoma

hi sandy is starting palliative radiation next thursday, she will be having 4 trt over 2 days then repeated 4 weekly for a total of 12 sessions. does anyone know what side effects to expect.. many thanks

Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 39,315 times
Sandy's mom - I think this is a different type of radiation than what Charlie got. But Charlie lost hair on his nose and has a little bald spot on his head. He had no mouth issues. I think because he only had the one treatment, but it was an intense treatment.

She will probably have sore and swollen mucus membranes. I had to feed Charlie his food pre-moistened so it wouldn't scrape his mouth. But he really did start feeling better very soon after the treatment (days). I sure hope she gets good relief from the treatments. Keep us updated!

Hardees mom - You had me worried! I am really glad to hear he is doing better!

I am such a spaz, I keep this page up on my browser and refresh it when ever I check to see the conversations. It was on page 160, and I didn't realize until today another page was added. Geez.

I am calling the radiology doctor on Monday and talk to her about what options we have for Charlie. He is doing well, very happy, energetic. I just don't want him to get to the point of struggling like he was before.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliettvince View Post
hi sandy is starting palliative radiation next thursday, she will be having 4 trt over 2 days then repeated 4 weekly for a total of 12 sessions. does anyone know what side effects to expect.. many thanks

Do you know what type of radiation Sandy is getting? If I am understanding it is 2 treatments a day X 2 days? then repeated 4 a week to a total of 12? I would think you might see some hair loss and inflammed skin but not as bad a dogs that get the definitive radiation since palliative is all about comfort. I am not really sure though as Dash had palliative but he only had 5 days and it was with IMRT so very focused beams and his only real side effect was the dry eye. But you also have to keep in mind that all dogs are individuals and we all react differently to things. I hope Sandy sails through it with no problems.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
Hi everyone. I found you by googling about my poor Tasha. Can't believe this thread has been up this long, I'm sad to say. My Tasha is 15 1/2 years old and is a chow/collie mix. She has been diagnosed with nasal cancer by two different vets. We have discussed radiation but due to her age, the vet didn't think it would add any time or improve her quality of life. Now, here's where I just don't know what to do (I'm trying to get through this without crying and it's hopeless). Tasha is sneezing and wheezing and sounds very congested during her breathing. The vets assure me that he is not in any pain (although I feel otherwise. She had some very minor bleeding about a month ago, and two weeks ago it was considerable. Both vets have suggested an antiobiotic as she has a lesion in her mouth that is bleeding. The vet thinks that the lesion is infected, so they have placed her on Zeniquin for 3-4 weeks, and replaced her Rymadil with Previcox for the pain. One of my questions to the vet is "how will I know when it's time?" He said when she goes a week without eating. But did suggest that since she's bleeding I might want to consider it sooner. Well, my bedroom floor is now covered with old sheets to prevent having a cleanup each day. The eating...well, I've been hand feeding her since last Wednesday. This works really well, but my husband says that's not a life for her or me. Well, this morning, after being on the Zeniquin for about 5 days, she started eating on her own without any coaxing from me! However, if I'm home she is constantly under my feet in something of a daze. She's pretty wobbly when she first gets up after sleeping. Now, sorry it took so long to get to the point, but what do I do? It seems like good vs bad is about 50/50. Honestly she is no where near the dog she used to be, but I try to think that it is because of her age. However, I can pet her and talk to her and the tail goes to wagging. She gets bursts of energy when the grandbaby comes over (18 months) and they play together. Other times, not so good. I've been teetering back and forth for two weeks now as to what to do. I don't want her to suffer, man oh man, but my heart feels like it is being ripped out if I lean toward putting her down. I know what my husband thinks we should do, but he's not wanting to push me to do anything yet. Please give me your thoughts....my heart is so heavy right now.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM

16 posts, read 39,315 times
Tasha's Mom - I am so sorry to hear what you and Tasha are going through. I know it is very difficult. I don't know if you have read my posts, but Charlie went through ups and downs. I almost put him to sleep the day before we left to Colorado for radiation treatment. Charlie is 11yrs old. He was diagnosed in July, he had a bloody nose and sneezing. By October, just before his treatment, he hadn't slept in a few days, was struggling to breathe out of one barely open nostril, he was gagging (as the tumor was down a bit of the back of his throat), he stopped eating (which scared me), and he was exhausted.

That was the hardest part (so far). It is hard to see your loved one struggling to breathe. But then I would say something to him and he would wag his tail. In my confusion, I asked a hospice vet we're working with and she said - Charlie can be happy to see you, and wag his tail, but that doesn't mean he's not in pain. Charlie is like that. Forever happy. He is going to be a hard one to lose. He is the perfect dog, happy, loving, cute, furry. He's got it all. I am not looking forward to going down the road again to the point where I have to let him go, because frankly, I don't want to. I struggled with putting him down before his treatment. He would look at me like "Do something about this, I'm miserable, Mom". I let him hang on because I knew he was going for treatment and that the radiation would make him feel better.

It is hard how they look to us to make the decisions. What I finally had to realize was that Charlie DID know what was going on, he knew I was doing my best to take care of him. I can see fear in his eyes now that his nose is starting to plug up again. I know he doesn't want to go through the misery again. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to make the decision, rather a seizure would. But that would also be scary.

Tasha knows you love her and because you do, you will make the decision at the right time. You will just know. I have had to put several pets down over the years, and experience tells me I have made the right decisions, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Give Tasha a bear hug and kiss on the noggin for me. Take care of yourself, and you will be in a better state of mind to handle all of this. This forum has been a big support to me, I hope it helps you as well.

Take care, Marilyn

Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM

26 posts, read 68,781 times
Hi All,

Just checking in. My laptop has been broken and in the shop for a week, and I've just gotten it back. Life has just been plain old busy lately, and I haven't checked in the way I used to. I hope you and your pups are all well.

Handsome Hardee (HH) has totally recovered from his infection and is doing great again. Lots of drainage still from his nose, but that has been our normal for over a year now. We have a local agility trial this weekend that Hardee will be running in, so he's excited about getting to do his favorite thing.

I clippered Hardee down pretty short a couple weeks ago, again. The drainage from his nose gets all over in all his long hair, so his upkeep is a little easier now. I clippered his muzzle very short and went at it again today because the area beside his right nostril is our worst area to try and get all the dried drainage cleaned up. The drainage become like glue to that hair and he just doesn't have the patience for me to mess with him that much anymore. It was hard to cut away all his gorgeous hair that had finally grown back after he lost it from chemo, but it is easier for us both.

Good thoughts coming your way for you all and your pups. Continue to enjoy each day!

Jennie and HH

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Just learned my 11 yr old Border Collie springer spaniel mix may have nasal cancer, we are awaiting the biopsy results but after looking with a scope my vet is pretty certain this is the case.

I am interestind in hearing of anyone elses experiences with it and what treatment if any they sought as I would like to make the best decision for my dog as he has been such a great dog. I would like to have him around for as long as possible as he and my other dog are what got me through my mom's recent battle with cancer and her death but I know I don't want time if it comes at the expense of quality. Thanks.
I just found out today that my dog has adenocarcinoma, nasal. He had a c/t scan and they saw the mass. The biopsy came back today (11/29/11). They told me that if he gets radiation, it could prolong his life for another year. Without the treatment he probably has two or three months. I live in Central NJ, and there is a facility in Red Bank that does radiation. The other choice is the University of Pennsylvania. They have a pilot program, and might qualify. She's calling me back with that info on Thursday. He is a 12 year old Golden Retriever named Jake, and the love of my life. I know how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs