Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you are unhappy with the curriculum (such as PE only being a half year) blame your STATE. Curricula are not set by the schools, or the teachers.

Second, you do understand that different schools and states have different rules, right? For example my school, allows students to have their phones on them as long as they are not used in classes. They can use them as they like during lunch as long as they are not using them in anyway that violates the handbook.

Finally, just as a question, how did you punish your child for breaking the rules? How are you making sure your child is not bringing his phone to school?

Curricula is not set by the parents either, so therefore don't blame the parents. Ivorytickler mentioned recess and I thought that physical education in school would be better for the students, so they don't get so bored.

As for the cell phone, they are allowed to have them on their person, but not allowed to use them. I just extended the amount of time he went without his phone. After the second time he stopped using his phone at school. He graduated last year (a year early) so it's not a problem anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hope people don't take these sites seriously. They say that when you're unhappy about something you tell 10 people but if you're happy you only tell 3. It's far more likely someone who is unhappy with their grade is posting on these sites.
Oh, I agree...but it's still disrepectful.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Curricula is not set by the parents either, so therefore don't blame the parents. Ivorytickler mentioned recess and I thought that physical education in school would be better for the students, so they don't get so bored.
Curricula is not the problem here and no one suggested it was.

The problem that many teachers see with MANY (not all) parents is that they are not fulfilling their role. And despite your misunderstanding, teachers do not expect parents to teach or develop curricula as their role.

What we expect is to have students feed, dressed appropriately, present, with homework completed, a full nights rest and an attitude indicative of the importance of education. Those expectations summed, are the parental role in education.

Maybe you personally meet all of those expectations every day. Many parents do not. That is where the "blame" comes from, though that is not what I would call it in the slightest.

Quote:
As for the cell phone, they are allowed to have them on their person, but not allowed to use them. I just extended the amount of time he went without his phone. After the second time he stopped using his phone at school. He graduated last year (a year early) so it's not a problem anymore.
So whose responsibility is your child's behavior? Yours? His? or the schools?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
If your child cannot read at a basic level entering 1st grade, except in cases where there are learning disabilities, you are a failure as a parent.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Curricula is not the problem here and no one suggested it was.

The problem that many teachers see with MANY (not all) parents is that they are not fulfilling their role. And despite your misunderstanding, teachers do not expect parents to teach or develop curricula as their role.

What we expect is to have students feed, dressed appropriately, present, with homework completed, a full nights rest and an attitude indicative of the importance of education. Those expectations summed, are the parental role in education.

Maybe you personally meet all of those expectations every day. Many parents do not. That is where the "blame" comes from, though that is not what I would call it in the slightest.

So whose responsibility is your child's behavior? Yours? His? or the schools?

At the age of 14 I expected him to have responsibility for his actions (for the most part). Obviously he needed a little more learning, but he finally got the point. After that I'm responsible. In that type of situation I don't think the school has any responsibility except to enforce the rules.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Its weird that when I was a teen i was sick to death of learning. i wanted to go and experience life. Now that I'm almost 40 I have tons of documentary DVDs, i read nonfiction books, and 99% of the TV I watch is the History International channel. Did I know what field I wanted to get into when i was 16? No. However I have a lot better idea of it now. I know one thing. If we'd had the internet and documentaries filmed in Hi-Def when I was in school instead of books and filmstrips i wouldve loved going to school.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Yet it is the parents who the OP and others on here are blaming. Read the title of the thread.
So only people who are completely in agreement with the OP are allowed to point out the flaw in your logic? I missed where that is stated in the TOS. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I've already admitted I'm not perfect and that I could probably do more to help my children succeed in school. As a parent, I will always feel I can do more in MANY areas of my children's life.
And even if you did every single one of them you would still not FIX the broken education system. Even if you did every single thing you could as a parent, the possibility exists that a child will still not succeed.

Quote:
Why can't teachers admit the same? In fact, any teacher who feels like they are already doing all they can, and placing all the blame on parents, rather than looking at their teaching methods and constantly tweaking it so as to improve in their craft, is not, in my opinion, a good teacher.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, as is everyone, that does not make your correct. The reality is that teachers are responsible for a portion of a child's education but ALL of the preparation to be educated is on the parental end.

And just to be clear here. Education is a profession. Teachers are not expected to have the same drive a parent does. Its not possible. Many teachers see 150 students a day. We do everything that can be expected of the PROFESSION but it should be obvious to you that effort has to be less than one expected by PARENTHOOD.

You seem to expect based on the multitude of posts here that teachers expend the same amount of effort on your child that you do. Do you have 150 children? If you did do you think you would be able to give all of them the attention you currently give your child? Really?

And while you are likely the paragon of parental perfection, the reality is most parents are not. Many teachers do put in more effort than parents, but that says less about the teacher than it does about the parents. The really sad part is those children, of the uninvolved parents, are the ones who end up getting most of our limited resources. So as an involved parent you should be equally as unhappy with those parents too.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
At the age of 14 I expected him to have responsibility for his actions (for the most part). Obviously he needed a little more learning, but he finally got the point. After that I'm responsible. In that type of situation I don't think the school has any responsibility except to enforce the rules.
Agreed.

How is that any different than learning? Why are students responsible for their behavior when it comes to the rules but not responsible for their portion of the learning equation? Why are teachers held to blame for an equation that is primarily the function of parents and students?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If your child cannot read at a basic level entering 1st grade, except in cases where there are learning disabilities, you are a failure as a parent.
Wow that is ridiculous beyond belief.

Many, many children are not mature enough to be reading before 1st grade. It is beyond comprehension that you make such an all encompassing remark ignoring child's age, innate interests, and skills.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I am responsible for what I teach. I can't force the students to learn what I teach because I can't force them to study or do homework. For most students, if they don't study chemistry and do their homework, they are not going to do well in my class. Parents can force their children to do homework and to study. They have power. They can ground their chilren and take away privilidges. They can force their children to do what they are supposed to do. I can't.

I do what I can. I teach the material. If you child isn't paying attention or doing their work, all I can do is give a bad grade. It's what parents do as a result of that bad grade that can make a difference.
Just reread this. I'm sure the typo police are having a field day. This is what I get for posting on my lap top. I can't type for beans on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education