Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks. Glad a few are honest to respond here. Im not happy w. Obama BUT...wow I am NOT seeing any viable intelligent alternatives. And the tea party could have been a good thing if it wasnt another idea hijacked by multi-national corrupt banks and corps.
That's my problem as well. I LIKE the basic tea party philosophy. But, the underlying huge elephant in the room is it SPEAKS about spending less....but filled with Republican Party ideas (that are contrary to that), in addition to extreme anti-Democratic propoganda and extreme anti-Obama propoganda to a villianization level, that mutes its point altogether.

If a person is truly a fiscal conservative, and truly interested in reducing spending...you 100% MUST go after both parties with equal venom. Not just one, as the Tea Partiers do. To be fair, I do occassionally see a 'token' Republican being snapped at for a millisecond to appear unbiased, but it's rare and seems very put on.

The Tea Party just seemed hijacked to me, and manipulated. I mean the heart of it. No doubt there are some very good people who believe the basic message though, just aren't aware of the strong biases built into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM

77 posts, read 466,240 times
I would like Ron Paul in office very much! I am registered Republican but really am feeling like both end of the spectrum sucks. We need to revamp our entire government. One that won't tax us to death or rob our schools. Here in Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer(R) is seeking to end our medicaid program. Me and my family do not qualify but I know of many people who desparatly depend on it. There is an old lady who I take to the store, pharmacy/wherever she needs(really nonchristians help people? who knew?) She lives off of $500 a month social security and has a ton of serious health problems. If that c word of a Governor succeeds that this lady will die!

OOOOOPS WAAAAY OFF TOPIC SO SORRY. I like Ron Paul

Old 03-29-2011, 02:27 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger62790 View Post
I would like Ron Paul in office very much! I am registered Republican but really am feeling like both end of the spectrum sucks. We need to revamp our entire government. One that won't tax us to death or rob our schools. Here in Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer(R) is seeking to end our medicaid program. Me and my family do not qualify but I know of many people who desparatly depend on it. There is an old lady who I take to the store, pharmacy/wherever she needs(really nonchristians help people? who knew?) She lives off of $500 a month social security and has a ton of serious health problems. If that c word of a Governor succeeds that this lady will die!

OOOOOPS WAAAAY OFF TOPIC SO SORRY. I like Ron Paul
Paul by the way is staunchly against Medicaid.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I sort of liked the idea of Donald Trump...until I saw the latest version of Celebrity Apprentice...good lord if he wants to be taken seriously he is in big trouble.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
And look what ya got in the last how many elections? What good did it do to back Ron Paul in 2008? To vote for any other than the one with a R or D beside his name is futile. And now Paul is likely doing it again in 2012 and it will have the same ending - he will garner less than 10% of the vote and the campaign will waste millions of hard earned dollars of working stiffs just like in 2008! You cannot win or even come close in a crooked poker game. The system is broke and all the wishful thinking aint going to make it work, I'm truly sorry BUT the voting box is rigged and as long as the Sheeple continue to play THEIR game according to THEIR rules we will not get any change.
And look at what voting for the establishment has gotten us? No offense but attitudes like yours make me sick and are part of what's wrong in this country. The second people start to believe voting their conscience, and voting for principles and issues is "waste" then we've lost this country. We're close to losing it, because of rampant apathy such as yours. I agree the system is broken, I've been one of the more vocal critics of corporate corruption in the electoral process but sitting around doing nothing but despairing is a bridge to nowhere. That's not the American spirit that got us this far. America is a forward looking country, we need to continue to look forward and work at a grassroots level to change this country.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Quote:
Interested in hearing who people are looking at. Im not posting this on Elections bcs I want to hear your opinions as well. Who are you wanting to run in 2012?.
Thanks for starting such a fascinating thread. I genuinely enjoy this type of mental exercise.

Firstly, it has been very difficult for me to select who to vote for and support as president for many years now. The reason for this is that my own political beliefs are hard to pin down, label, and put into a box. On some issues, I'm solidly with the Republicans, on others, I'm solidly with the Democrats.

Frequently, I'm with the Libertarians as well, though I can't support their entire platform....

Who is a guy supposed to vote for when he finds that he supports certain, wildly divergent points of Conservative, Liberal, and Libertarian ideology?

For example, I'm with the conservatives on enthusiastically supporting the Second Amendment, being (generally) against abortion, and believing in the need for secure national borders....

On the other hand, I'm with the Liberals on the issues of gay marriage, complete decriminalization of marijuana, and the need for some form of universal health care.....

With the Libertarians I share the same basic philosophy of allowing each individual to live his/her own life with an absolute minimum of interference from the government. This I also would extend to small businesses, but I favor more control of what large corporations and mega banks are doing....

So, the ideal candidate is someone who:

Is pro-little guy, without being hostile to business.

Supports and actively encourages re-development of American industry and production and does everything in his power to stop outsourcing and off shoring.

Someone who can shrink the size and scope of government while implementing some programs which everyone might actually benefit from.

Someone who can design a tax system that is actually fair to all and requires everyone to contribute something in order to reap the benefits.

Supports the right to keep and bear arms passionately.

Doesn't want the government to interfere with the private lives of individuals. ( marijuana, gay marriage, etc.)...

I could go on and on about this, but since our political landscape has become so polarized, I think it is nothing more than an exercise in frustration.

I really have no idea who to support in the next presidential election....

Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's my problem as well. I LIKE the basic tea party philosophy. But, the underlying huge elephant in the room is it SPEAKS about spending less....but filled with Republican Party ideas (that are contrary to that), in addition to extreme anti-Democratic propoganda and extreme anti-Obama propoganda to a villianization level, that mutes its point altogether.

If a person is truly a fiscal conservative, and truly interested in reducing spending...you 100% MUST go after both parties with equal venom. Not just one, as the Tea Partiers do. To be fair, I do occassionally see a 'token' Republican being snapped at for a millisecond to appear unbiased, but it's rare and seems very put on.

The Tea Party just seemed hijacked to me, and manipulated. I mean the heart of it. No doubt there are some very good people who believe the basic message though, just aren't aware of the strong biases built into it.
I agree with you completely. The idea behind it is a good one. But they are now calling it the billionaires tea party

Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, one is 150 years old, a has been from the 60s and the other is as nutty as they come.

Nita
Nader has no chance not bcs he is old, but bcs hes for consumer protection and against corrupt banksters. That doesnt fly well in D.C., sadly

Isnt Nader the same age as McCain? McCain picked a nuttier running mate than Jesse Venura in 2008, alienating professional women. He lost alot of Indep. votes due to Palin

Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Nader has no chance not bcs he is old, but bcs hes for consumer protection and against corrupt banksters. That doesnt fly well in D.C., sadly

Isnt Nader the same age as McCain? McCain picked a nuttier running mate than Jesse Venura in 2008, alienating professional women. He lost alot of Indep. votes due to Palin
Heavens no, he is 77 now, he will be almost 79 at the time of the 2012 election. As for Ventura versus Palin, I would strongly disagree on the nutty part: Ventura is a complete ding dong, you may not like Palin or her ideas, but she is not really a nut case.

Nita

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Thanks for starting such a fascinating thread. I genuinely enjoy this type of mental exercise.

Firstly, it has been very difficult for me to select who to vote for and support as president for many years now. The reason for this is that my own political beliefs are hard to pin down, label, and put into a box. On some issues, I'm solidly with the Republicans, on others, I'm solidly with the Democrats.

Frequently, I'm with the Libertarians as well, though I can't support their entire platform....

Who is a guy supposed to vote for when he finds that he supports certain, wildly divergent points of Conservative, Liberal, and Libertarian ideology?

For example, I'm with the conservatives on enthusiastically supporting the Second Amendment, being (generally) against abortion, and believing in the need for secure national borders....

On the other hand, I'm with the Liberals on the issues of gay marriage, complete decriminalization of marijuana, and the need for some form of universal health care.....

With the Libertarians I share the same basic philosophy of allowing each individual to live his/her own life with an absolute minimum of interference from the government. This I also would extend to small businesses, but I favor more control of what large corporations and mega banks are doing....

So, the ideal candidate is someone who:

Is pro-little guy, without being hostile to business.

Supports and actively encourages re-development of American industry and production and does everything in his power to stop outsourcing and off shoring.

Someone who can shrink the size and scope of government while implementing some programs which everyone might actually benefit from.

Someone who can design a tax system that is actually fair to all and requires everyone to contribute something in order to reap the benefits.

Supports the right to keep and bear arms passionately.

Doesn't want the government to interfere with the private lives of individuals. ( marijuana, gay marriage, etc.)...

I could go on and on about this, but since our political landscape has become so polarized, I think it is nothing more than an exercise in frustration.

I really have no idea who to support in the next presidential election....

How refreshing!!!!

I was hoping someone would post their true feelings rather than bash...great post...I wish you were running you would have my vote.

It seems most people just post talking points anymore and have lost their own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections