Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Thanks for starting such a fascinating thread. I genuinely enjoy this type of mental exercise.

Firstly, it has been very difficult for me to select who to vote for and support as president for many years now. The reason for this is that my own political beliefs are hard to pin down, label, and put into a box. On some issues, I'm solidly with the Republicans, on others, I'm solidly with the Democrats.

Frequently, I'm with the Libertarians as well, though I can't support their entire platform....

Who is a guy supposed to vote for when he finds that he supports certain, wildly divergent points of Conservative, Liberal, and Libertarian ideology?

For example, I'm with the conservatives on enthusiastically supporting the Second Amendment, being (generally) against abortion, and believing in the need for secure national borders....

On the other hand, I'm with the Liberals on the issues of gay marriage, complete decriminalization of marijuana, and the need for some form of universal health care.....

With the Libertarians I share the same basic philosophy of allowing each individual to live his/her own life with an absolute minimum of interference from the government. This I also would extend to small businesses, but I favor more control of what large corporations and mega banks are doing....

So, the ideal candidate is someone who:

Is pro-little guy, without being hostile to business.

Supports and actively encourages re-development of American industry and production and does everything in his power to stop outsourcing and off shoring.

Someone who can shrink the size and scope of government while implementing some programs which everyone might actually benefit from.

Someone who can design a tax system that is actually fair to all and requires everyone to contribute something in order to reap the benefits.

Supports the right to keep and bear arms passionately.

Doesn't want the government to interfere with the private lives of individuals. ( marijuana, gay marriage, etc.)...

I could go on and on about this, but since our political landscape has become so polarized, I think it is nothing more than an exercise in frustration.

I really have no idea who to support in the next presidential election....
Many share your views, but you have to choose the candidate that comes closest to sharing your views. Nothing is all black and white, whether it be religion, relationships, carreer choice or politics.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
How refreshing!!!!

I was hoping someone would post their true feelings rather than bash...great post...I wish you were running you would have my vote.

It seems most people just post talking points anymore and have lost their own identity.
I'm just a fat, bald plumber...... I'm nowhere near qualified for that job, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Many share your views, but you have to choose the candidate that comes closest to sharing your views. Nothing is all black and white, whether it be religion, relationships, carreer choice or politics.

Nita
You're right, I do have to choose who I will vote for......

I have voted faithfully every election since I have been old enough to do so.

Choosing who to vote for seems increasingly difficult each election though....

Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
You're right, I do have to choose who I will vote for......

I have voted faithfully every election since I have been old enough to do so.

Choosing who to vote for seems increasingly difficult each election though....
I wouldn't say every election, but I think many of us share your ideas on this. Yes, it isn't always easy and I wish we had more choices as to who is the best, not who is the lesser of the evils. That is really the way I felt last time as well as when Dole ran against Clinton.

Nita

Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say every election, but I think many of us share your ideas on this. Yes, it isn't always easy and I wish we had more choices as to who is the best, not who is the lesser of the evils. That is really the way I felt last time as well as when Dole ran against Clinton.

Nita

I agree. It's unbelievable, or should I say NOT believable that the best there is is what we get to chose from.

Seems like there is a new crop of up and comers though that may be good in the future if they don't get corrupted in the process.

The way our campaigning process has gotten so dirty though I sure wouldn't want to subject my family to what must be a living hell either.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I agree. It's unbelievable, or should I say NOT believable that the best there is is what we get to chose from.

Seems like there is a new crop of up and comers though that may be good in the future if they don't get corrupted in the process.

The way our campaigning process has gotten so dirty though I sure wouldn't want to subject my family to what must be a living hell either.
I rmember the days when commercials could not or would not knock another company by name and politicians spent most of the campainging time stressing what they would do for our country. This was both sides, not just Republicans or Democrats. We took pride in supporting our candidate of choice, we were down at headquarters working and volunteering our time. Heck 2 of our 3 kids worked for candidates back in the 70s and 80s as did our son in law who wan in college at the time and not our son in law.

Then, I ask myself, like you mentioned, why would anyone want the job of whatever? Your entire private life is exposed, the cost to run is astronomical, and you have to be thick skinned, be willing to campaign 20 hours a day and then you may or may not even get the bid. My husband ran for local office (I am talking small offices) twice, once in 2004 and again 2006. Both times he won the primary in a landslide and both times lost in the general election. One time to someone who was as dingy as they come, but she had family pull.

Nita

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
The perfect GOP ticket -- Terry Jones/Michele Bachmann. That would be awesome. If you want nuts, go all the way.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The perfect GOP ticket -- Terry Jones/Michele Bachmann. That would be awesome. If you want nuts, go all the way.
can you think of anything really worth contributing? This is one of the silliest you have ever sent.

Nita

Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
can you think of anything really worth contributing? This is one of the silliest you have ever sent.

Nita
If I were trying to be silly, I would have proposed Charlie Sheen/Michele Bachmann

Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If I were trying to be silly, I would have proposed Charlie Sheen/Michele Bachmann
But that has already been proposed, so you would be copying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections