Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:22 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times

Advertisements

Bernie

It all comes down from religious wars and those religious denominations they have in the US. Irish are "Papists" so they have to be different, etc.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times
The funniest thing is that he says that Irish wants to be English!!! That's a good one!!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Bernie

It all comes down from religious wars and those religious denominations they have in the US. Irish are "Papists" so they have to be different, etc.
Yes this has something to do with it. A lot of Irish don't like it either but I wasn't raised with all the politics as I grew up in Australia. I know the history and have some biases I do admit but the genetics is what it is whether people like it or not.

People forget that England was once Catholic and people have been moving around all those islands for thousands of years. It beggars belief that people would seriously think the populations are drastically different.

I suppose these people don't realise that the Cornish were Celts and they would even like to reactivate the Cornish language.

Home - Kowethas an Yeth Kernewek

Penzance Town Councillor Rob Simmons leading new project to help communities learn more about the Cornish language. | The Cornishman

Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
The funniest thing is that he says that Irish wants to be English!!! That's a good one!!
Because I put up something about my brother's genetics I want to be English. I've got no problems with English people and have some very good friends from England but I much prefer having an Irish background.

That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore genetics though.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
"planted"? There has also been natural migration over then centuries.
Yes, the term "planted" has a long historical usage in this context.

Plantations of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there has been migration of a different sort. Very early in recorded Irish history the kingdom of Ulaidh in present-day Ulster moved into the coastal area of western Scotland, establishing a kingdom there...which later became a separate entity. Presumably some of those already living there would have found reason to go back to the Irish side of the kingdom. And the Irish kings hired the "gallowglasses," mercenary soldiers from Scotland to fight in their battles with each other in Ireland, and the gallowglasses remained as settlers.

Both of these occurred before the formal English plantation schemes to plant Ireland with loyal non-Catholics. Some of my own family's ancestors were planted in southern Cork about 1603 as part of a series of attempts to create a viable Plantation of Munster.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yes thanks Miserere. I've accepted the history of Britain and Ireland and I'm quite happy that Ireland is an independent country. On the other hand if anyone wants to say the populations are drastically different they really need to back that up. Culturally different but to say they are physically different well that is just not backed up by genetics and because I say this it doesn't mean I want to be English.

I'm not going to post genetic plots and more information on the subject because I know that it will get the thread shut down but people need to go and do some proper research on the subject and leave the agendas they have behind. It is what it is. Anything I've said is just based on actual genetics and I've looked at studies for years. Also a few of my family members including myself have had our dna analysed. I'm not talking out of my arse like some others.
Interesting that being the US according to you is not a good place to judge the appearance of the Irish and English. Yet you are in Australia.

Unlike you, I have been to Ireland and England numerous times and have family I visit every 2 years or so in the British Isles. If I want to go tomorrow I can catch a flight free of chharge, as long as there is Delta flight going there. So yes I am very familiar with the Irish and the English. I have no agenda and could care less about how they look to be honest. But a group of Englishmen looks distinct from a group of Irishmen. They have many features similar to the Dutch and Scandinavians that are less prevalent among the Irish. As individuals, it is impossible to tell them aparr, but as a group there is a clear difference. I havent delved into racial science, phenotypes and that sort of thing so I cant comment on tgat. I can onoy tell you what I see on my numerous trips there.

And do sincerely apologize my observations offend you.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Interesting that being the US according to you is not a good place to judge the appearance of the Irish and English. Yet you are in Australia.

Unlike you, I have been to Ireland and England numerous times and have family I visit every 2 years or so in the British Isles. If I want to go tomorrow I can catch a flight free of chharge, as long as there is Delta flight going there. So yes I am very familiar with the Irish and the English. I have no agenda and could care less about how they look to be honest. But a group of Englishmen looks distinct from a group of Irishmen. They have many features similar to the Dutch and Scandinavians that are less prevalent among the Irish. As individuals, it is impossible to tell them aparr, but as a group there is a clear difference. I havent delved into racial science, phenotypes and that sort of thing so I cant comment on tgat. I can onoy tell you what I see on my numerous trips there.

And do sincerely apologize my observations offend you.
No problems hobbesdj - We will just have to disagree and leave it at that. I'm Irish born and have of course spent time in Ireland and Britain. I also have relatives in both countries. I do think these differences are exaggerated. Enda Kenny and Mary Robinson look very Irish but for a lot of people it's not so obvious. I've seen English people that I thought were Irish as well. Also Australia has a constant stream of people from Britain and Ireland. There is a much higher percentage of people from the British Isles here.

Thanks for the apology but there is no need because it is your honest opinion. Some people do have racist motives though and that's why I like to point out the genetics.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I think it boils down to the cliche, 'You may be able to tell a dozen Irishmen from a dozen Englishmen, but you can't tell an Irishman from an Englishman.'

Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think it boils down to the cliche, 'You may be able to tell a dozen Irishmen from a dozen Englishmen, but you can't tell an Irishman from an Englishman.'
Yes exactly. One on one I cannot tell a difference. But the same goes for one Frenchman and one Englishman. One one you cannot tell the difference. But if we compare groups of 20 French and 20 English the difference is night and day. This is similar to the case with the Irish.

But if show me a group of IRish and group of English, there is a clear difference. The English resemble the the north Germanic populations like Scandinavians and the Dutch. The English have many pshysyical traits not found among the Irish.

So yes, the English look significantly different from the Irish,

Old 10-08-2014, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
No problems hobbesdj - We will just have to disagree and leave it at that. I'm Irish born and have of course spent time in Ireland and Britain. I also have relatives in both countries. I do think these differences are exaggerated. Enda Kenny and Mary Robinson look very Irish but for a lot of people it's not so obvious. I've seen English people that I thought were Irish as well. Also Australia has a constant stream of people from Britain and Ireland. There is a much higher percentage of people from the British Isles here.

Thanks for the apology but there is no need because it is your honest opinion. Some people do have racist motives though and that's why I like to point out the genetics.
It's pretty ignorant that you trired to say he doesn't know what he's talking about because he's in the US, even though he has family in the British Isles and has visited many, many times. Meanwhile you are on the otherwise of the world. How many time have you gone to Britain or Australia? Less than Hobbes I bet. Loda os Americans are Irish or English just like Australia, so I dont think you in Australia are in a good place to make judgements.

And no one cares about your race obsession (Australian, how surprising), the fact this the the English look more "Germanic" and the Irish look different. I am from the Netherlands and notice a clear difference between the English and and the Irish. The Irish look much more 'foreign' to me in the ir faces and body structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe