Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

I am actually glad so many here don't give a crap how they look (no makeup, sloppy clothes, etc) - it just makes me look so much better by comparison.

Miss Lexi - probably time to give it up here - some of these people just don't "get it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM

241 posts, read 360,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Plenty of people within the first few pages of the thread suggested that "a little makeup" was necessary to look put together and is a part of grooming themselves well. That's why it came up. Most people considering "styling" to involve makeup or manicures or pedicures. So that's what I'm railing against. I don't care if people find me attractive, I don't see why you should.
That's their advice, I want a conservation to be started here. Again this isn't about seeking the approval of other people, it's about bettering yourself physically and health wise. Physically, I look the best I have ever had, but I certainly don't turn heads when I walk down the street. The reason I am happy with themselves though is because I feel healthy and confident. Nor do I base my self esteem off of airbrushed models. Too many people here are assuming my definition of what makes a person attractive is as scrict as theirs.

I guess styling is the wrong word. I do admit I think people look best when they dress chic or classy but I have learned to acknowledge that everyone has different taste. A better word would be "put together," if you like your dress sense then rock on. Just making sure the clothes fit you nicely and look tidy is the number one thing I would advise people to do. These are just suggestions, you don 't have to listen to them.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
I didn't read all the replies and I am not quite sure what you are getting at? Dressing nicely? Having nice hair? Sure people can work on those things.

Simply doing those things does not make every person fit into the mold of being conventionally attractive to others though.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
No I am talking about in terms of putting effort in how they dress, or present themselves. Granted a lot of teens aren't exactely what I would classify as "classy," but behavior is not what I am talking about. Elderly women are probably the best at the examplifying modest and classy behavior that so many lack today.
Anyways look as pictures of people from the 50s/60s, everybody was pretty then because of the way they adorned themselves so nicely.
Some people adorned themselves nicely in that period. The woman who worked in a hot factory all day didn't always have that luxury. Did a woman doing agricultural work in a hot dusty field look like that? Do photographs and movies from that period portray that sort of woman?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
Lexl, people have told you what they think and you then reply with a much different scenario than your original post. Read your original post up above and honestly tell me that you don't see it as just a bit insulting and condescending? I do and that's why "you get what you give".

majority of people are lazy...not a good way to make friends and influence people, jmho.

most people could be at least average looking...way to go!

look better than the average American, uh yeah...no. Those are hostile generalizations on your part.

Quote:
I am not telling anyone what to do, all I am giving people are suggestions and encouragement, how you dress or choose to eat is up to you.
Yes, yes you are not only telling people what to do you are belittling and insulting them.

Quote:
Based on other post I have read from you, you sound deeply insecure. Just because you are at best physically does't mean you'll turn into Brad Pitt. Develop more of a personality if you want to draw more people to you, a personality can add to your attractiveness.
Deeply insecure, develop more of a personality (good advice for ALL of us)...

Quote:
If you are would secure with yourself you wouldn't be so negative and insecure about your appearance. I can't help you that, if you don't believe what I am saying that is fine.
Just read this and tell me where in all of it is an 'encouraging' word?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But your tone is haughty and hostile. You make it sound like people just aren't trying hard enough. Who cares what you think? Who the heck are you that anyone should value your opinion? I am sure that if someone wanted your help, they'd ask. Don't offer it otherwise. Mind your own business.
Exactly...haughty and hostile to say the least.

Quote:
Your taking things way too personally. I wanted to start an open discussion not shame people for not following my exact routine. You don't have to value my opinion, this is an open forum people can post what they want. If you don't like that then leave.
Yeah Lexi, when people speak down to other people they have a tendency to take it PERSONALLY! 'Not shame people'...well, that ship has sailed! Time to rethink that one!

Quote:
I started this forum with the purpose of telling my story on how I bettered my self when it came to my weight, drinking, and drug usage. How my appearance and health improved greatly. I did not I repeat start this forum to judge or shame people, but to inform them of the benefits of trying harder. If it feels that way to you, then i really don't know what to tell you. Obviously you can post want you want, but usually if I don't like a certain type of thread or person I avoid them. You can do the same.
This entire thread, which you started, has been nothing but your attempt at shaming and denigrating people and then your trying to backtrack and say you didn't say what you said. Some friendly advice, next time maybe choose your words more carefully and say what you mean in the first place and not on the last page where you confess that you feel and look better because you quit drinking and drugging and are NOW taking personal responsibility for yourself and your actions. BRAVO, way to go; you should have said that in the first place rather than insulting Americans for being fat, lazy slobs; just my point of view!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
To the anonymous jerk who left me a rep, thanks. sure are a lot of ugly people on this thread.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,516 times
Why are people still acting offended by this thread? If you're happy being a frumpy slob then why take offense?

She said nothing offense and nothing that isn't well known.

If more people took basic care of themselves, they're look better. Whether they want to or not is up to them. This has nothing to do with spending a ridiculous amount on basic care

As someone who was lucky enough to work in a facility that handled customers from all over the world and all over the US, you would be surprised at how many people lack basic hygiene and grooming.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I think I was just amazed at how better I looked and feel after going through all of it. I would love for other people to experience the feel that I did. I use to hate myself and thought I was ugly, its wasn't until I started to improve myself that I saw my true natural beauty. Just be happy and confident about yourself, the world needs more women with those qualities. My intended audience was everyone really, I think anyone can learn from my advice especially people who aren't happy themselves.

I wrote the above list to show people, it really doesn't take that much time or work to look ok.
But you do realize that we aren't you? If you put your thread on a diet forum, or one for overweight people, and changed to title to say something like: "I lost weight and became attractive, you can too", it would be received very differently.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
. Physically, I look the best I have ever had, but I certainly don't turn heads when I walk down the street.

In my opinion,if i am not turning heads after making a huge effort to look my best, then there is no point in looking my best.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Well, I got complimented by a pretty girl at the beach party today for sexy legs and attractive skin. Best part was that I got attention when it was never really expected at all . Proof that what CD women see as attractive in men does not apply everywhere. All I do is eat properly (according to constraints imposed by religion), maintain my grooming, and continue Workout + outdoor activity routine.

BTW MissLexi, I am very passionate about hiking and railfanning. One day, I want to visit the Grand Tetons in the middle of winter and film the UP freighters powering through those man high snow drifts .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-20-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty