Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
That guy has been eating a lot of raw carrots.
Yes. The guy in post #54 reminds me of a certain POTUS Anyway, men and tote bags. I don't mind if men carry tote bags; it's women who shouldn't carry them, IMO. Most women are too physically small to be carrying suitcases over their shoulders, and when they open the things up to retrieve (insert whatever essential item here,) they inevitably can't find it because it has fallen in the deep, dark chasm along with a million other things piled on top of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
You have one life.
Don't let what other people think about silly things affect you.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
I see few women, let alone men, carry tote bags. I had no picture of how men looked in one, so I had to look it up.

Umm, no , thank you.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM

4,213 posts, read 6,902,367 times
^ I don't personally see anything wrong with that, even if it's not a bag i'm interested in carrying.

People get too caught up in current gender norms or worrying what other people think. I'm straight but into fashion/style, interior design, and yes I carry a messenger bag. All things people on city data have scoffed at at one time or another as being 'questionable' for a straight guy, which is just kind of amusing to me. And even if some stranger does accidentally think or wonder if I'm gay at some point...so what?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I own all sorts of bags for carrying things, depending upon my need. I have backpacks, including an indestructible Tumi, briefcases in leather, matching Zero Halliburton briefcase and computer case, a messenger bag or two, a couple of duffel bags, and tote bags.

However, I have tote bags that are made and sold for men, including Ralph Lauren and LL Bean with zip tops. They are perfect for the farmer's market, grocery store, etc. where I am not going to ruin a briefcase or messenger bag by stuffing various things into it, when a practical canvas tote bag will work. Even Carhartt sells unisex tote bags, though they do call one of the bags geared toward men a "tool bag," but it's a tote bag with a flat bottom that could be used for tools, yet I've seen guys carrying them other places than where they would carry a bag of tools. I don't wear my tote bags on my shoulder, though, just carry them in hand like a shopping bag. And, I've never gotten a comment or a look, though I was asked where I got a particular bag that I own by a couple of people. They are very practical, be it for the beach, grocery store (no ripping plastic or paper bags or those horrible re-usable bags that you cannot put in the washer), farmer's market, antique fairs, carrying snacks for children on outings, etc. It's nothing like a purse.
Really? All these brand names. I found that day packs from Target that were capable of holding a laptop and some file folders were more than adequate and didn't cost much. As long as they carried what I needed for work they didn't need a "name."

Guess I was/am just plebian after all.

PS. I do own a Carhartt jacket. It gets cold here.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Really? All these brand names. I found that day packs from Target that were capable of holding a laptop and some file folders were more than adequate and didn't cost much. As long as they carried what I needed for work they didn't need a "name."
Some people like a little style with their function.

As to the OP, nothing is wrong with guys carrying tote bags. Most people don't really give a rip as to what another person wears anyway. And those that would judge? It's a waste of energy to give any thought to it.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
I wear a fanny pack. But it conceals my Glock 9. So I guess that cancels out the gayness...

Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
I don't always carry a tote bag, but when I do it's this one:

Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes. The guy in post #54 reminds me of a certain POTUS
Except he's actually black. You know that's RuPaul, right?
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 03-28-2017, 12:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,458 times
LOL, we called those flowery plastic things a "book bag" when I was a kid.

I consider a tote bag to look like one of these & I see plenty of women wearing them:

http://images.neimanmarcus.com/ca/3/...NMV37X5_mu.jpg

https://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/iEqV...1/c700x420.jpg

http://images.neimanmarcus.com/ca/1/...NMV3FKL_mu.jpg

Or a casual version being the free swag printed canvas ones that you get everywhere, like this:

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...lead_large.jpg

or any large plastic, nylon or canvas bag that you'd take to the beach with 2 cloth handles & an open top

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with wearing whatever you want OP. I don't think I'd look twice if a guy was carrying a purse or tote. I've spent enough time in big cities that I've seen it a fair amount. But as you know, the truth of the matter is that you are gonna get weird looks & snide remarks if you wear one. Not fair, not right, but it is what it is. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Just please don't wear the clear plastic flowered ones LOL, no one should carry those. I haven't seen those since 4th grade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty