Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 04:41 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,006,959 times

Advertisements

I'm used to cooking the old fashioned way, with actual pots, pans & gas stoves, ovens... so I'm failing miserably on the substitute "machine" front these past few wks. I'm fresh out of everything & not going shopping on the 100-degree day before the 4th, so decided to make a baked potato... never made one before (yep, never), cuz I'm not wild about how dry they are, so...

Rinsed spud, microwaved for 5-min (that's what the machine suggested), 1st bite was a big clump of dirt I promptly, spontaneously spit onto the kitchen floor... glad I live alone. Forgot you've got to scrub those things down... I'm used to peeling & not eating the peels. So, I decided to not eat the skin. Next bite... uncooked potato. Yuck.

Nuked it again for 2-min, scraped out the potato that was cooked... 3/4 of it... slathered it w/2 pats of butter & hesitatingly ate it, like a kid you're forcing to eat tomato covered raisin broccoli in a Jello mold. Ruined my appetite, which is good, cuz that's about all I've got 'til after the holiday & if I'm forced to thaw out 1 more container of spaghetti sauce, I'm tossing that on the floor, too.

Boch stout in the back of the fridge if I feel the need to get over my recent food traumas. Right now, I'm drinking strong espresso to get over the still lingering clump o' dirt flavor.

Next week, the stupid crockpots go to the Goodwill, the microwave will be draped in black & left unused, as per usual... & I'm back to cast iron pan frying, like a normal old prairie woman.

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Stay in the shade!

Old 07-03-2018, 04:47 PM

23,547 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Chicken tortilla soup, flour tortillas and salad.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
Sorry for all of you heat sufferers - I hope you are able to enjoy the holiday anyway. Tonight we are having shredded steak sandwiches on French bread with pepper jack cheese and cucumber salsa, homemade onion rings, Mexican corn, a pitcher of raspberry sangria, and almond coconut lemon bars for dessert.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Tonight we are having shredded steak sandwiches on French bread with pepper jack cheese and cucumber salsa, homemade onion rings, Mexican corn, a pitcher of raspberry sangria, and almond coconut lemon bars for dessert.
Omg, me too! Nah, just kidding. I had a salad.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-03-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Another scorcher - but the rain has brought a bit of relief. I am hoping it doesn't continue through tomorrow.

Anyway, we both felt like eating finger foods or appetizer type foods, and salad. I was in the mood for something bready and cheesy - but when am I not in that mood? Today, on Independence Day Eve, I will indulge.

I made soft pretzels with hot cheese and beer dip. (mmmm), mushroom caps stuffed with a delicious pecan mixture, veggie ranch pin wheels. And a cucumber, radish and onion salad.

Accompanied by a Treehouse Brewing Co. Julius IPA. Cherries and melon salad for desert.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:22 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,499,488 times
supper's done.... burritos...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:00 PM

38,903 posts, read 22,892,149 times
2 pieces of fried chicken
Honey-butter biscuit
Iced tea

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I feel for all of you with the heat wave.

Tonight is grilled steak and sauteed zucchini with butter/parsley/lemon.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 PM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Cheeseburger and pasta (Suddenly Salad using veggie oil. I mixed the oils veggie/olive/and, AC vinegar), mixed in sliced black olives. Mint iced tea.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'm used to cooking the old fashioned way, with actual pots, pans & gas stoves, ovens... so I'm failing miserably on the substitute "machine" front these past few wks. I'm fresh out of everything & not going shopping on the 100-degree day before the 4th, so decided to make a baked potato... never made one before (yep, never), cuz I'm not wild about how dry they are, so...

Rinsed spud, microwaved for 5-min (that's what the machine suggested), 1st bite was a big clump of dirt I promptly, spontaneously spit onto the kitchen floor... glad I live alone. Forgot you've got to scrub those things down... I'm used to peeling & not eating the peels. So, I decided to not eat the skin. Next bite... uncooked potato. Yuck.

Nuked it again for 2-min, scraped out the potato that was cooked... 3/4 of it... slathered it w/2 pats of butter & hesitatingly ate it, like a kid you're forcing to eat tomato covered raisin broccoli in a Jello mold. Ruined my appetite, which is good, cuz that's about all I've got 'til after the holiday & if I'm forced to thaw out 1 more container of spaghetti sauce, I'm tossing that on the floor, too.

Boch stout in the back of the fridge if I feel the need to get over my recent food traumas. Right now, I'm drinking strong espresso to get over the still lingering clump o' dirt flavor.

Next week, the stupid crockpots go to the Goodwill, the microwave will be draped in black & left unused, as per usual... & I'm back to cast iron pan frying, like a normal old prairie woman.

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Stay in the shade!
I’d keep the small crockpot for cheesy dips like queso, or refried beans and cheese, or spinach artichoke... mmmm cheese. Sometimes dip is what’s for dinner.

My big crockpot is for soup and mulled cider mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink