Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,058 times

Advertisements

Well that's settled.
Americans hate being proved wrong, for sure.
Germany has NO influence over America until after 1860. I can see on many posts how |Americans are rediscovering their faith in the British Isles connection with their country, language, movies, music. Even Elvis Presley is British descent, not Kraut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:19 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
I think a lot of Americans like the idea of German being ahead because it differentiates them more from the country they broke away from. But as I said, if about half of whites can trace their ancestors to colonial times there is no way more people can claim German than English ancestry.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM

And to Smash XY: most of those fighting were of British Isles descent. The largest ethnic group were African Amarican and then Indian American, possibly French American. But German American? More rubbish. Why do Germans want to dominate everything even when facts are not true. You try and dominate Europe, but with Syria/Iraq you send no troops and don`t send in your aircraft .People in Britain don`t respect Germany at all. Modern America is very german.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:28 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
If you watch the documentary about the civil war you will see,( and I am a European) just how Britsh in blood and in place-names and Black American ( with the sheer horror of their situation) it is.
Martin Luther King, Jr. was named after some German dude.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
And to Smash XY: most of those fighting were of British Isles descent. The largest ethnic group were African Amarican and then Indian American, possibly French American. But German American? More rubbish. Why do Germans want to dominate everything even when facts are not true. You try and dominate Europe, but with Syria/Iraq you send no troops and don`t send in your aircraft .People in Britain don`t respect Germany at all. Modern America is very german.
I know they weren't more Germans than Anglo Americans and African Americans. I also think English is the largest ancestry but you act like Germans have no influence in the history of America and that's wrong. Although the major influence comes from the British Isles, you can't deny the others influences.

Last edited by Smash XY; 11-19-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM

I just think the Civil War was a defining moment, whether good went from bad, or bad to good, who knows? I just see America in its early years as a land with two histories.
I`m not anti -German I just bought a black forest wood carving of a cottage in Crystal Palace London !

Old 11-19-2014, 03:41 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,144 times
German, and that is without taking into account how many germans changed their last names and anglified them during WWII.\
it's also much more exotic and exciting to say you're german in the US, while british is sort of meh

Last edited by Irene-cd; 11-19-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
German, and that is without taking into account how many germans changed their last names and anglified them during WWII.
That happened a bit more during WW1 ( banning German language instruction, "liberty cabbage", etc).

Hard to say how many had their names "anglicized", but I'm willing to bet that the percentage was fairly small. Still an awful lot of "Schmidts" around who never anglicized their name to "Smith"...

German immigration was huge in this country in the 19th century, and you can certainly see this in almost all Midwestern states, and NY and Pennsylvania, but I tend to think that there are more Americans with Anglo last names..

Last edited by MassVt; 11-19-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,144 times
by the way, the US was almost a german speaking nation, that is how german america was at a point in time.

I really dislike it when british especially try to make the US this anglo-land (britain on the other side of the atlantic), my father is an american and feels no connection to the UK, I also know plenty of americans who could care less about the UK

only 13 colonies / states were part of the UK

the rest of America historically has no connection to the UK in any way shape or form.... it was either purchased from france (pretty much all of the midwest and the greatt lakes)
joined the union after it liberated itself from Spain (texas and florida)
or was taken from mexico (the west)
was purchased from Russia (alaska)
or simply became part of the US after the border was drawn with canada (The pacific north west)

AMERICAN PIONEERS FOUNDED THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE US..... NOT ALL OF THE US IS THE 13 STATES ON THE EAST COAST.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Irene, you are living a teutonic myth, America was German ( to a point, though more Dutch), Jewish, Italian, Russian, Belgian, Polish, Irish rep free, pre 1860 that is a fact. Now, I agree America is Multi-Cultura ( as is the UK)l, even Budvieser is Czech! The 13 colonies defined American law as with the Magna Carta ( UK) , ALL the presidents have UK blood, not Jewish!!, even George Washington considered himself an Englishmen fighting German/British redcoats. I am not trying to make the USA an Anglo saxon country ( Recent DNA has proved Britian is Celtic, mostly, not effing Anglo Saxon), but America then ( pre 1860,) is not German/Jewish, sorry, it is British Isles/Irish descent. As I said Cowboys were not Finnish or German bur prob English or Welsh! You belong to modern USA, But NOT old America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.