Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM

175 posts, read 256,596 times

Advertisements

English ancestory is big in the South and Texas. The uppermidwest is big in German ancestory. The east coast has a lot of Irish ancestory and the West has all of them mixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
I am Dutch, German and Swedish so basically the whitest man to ever live.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,058 times
The war of Independence was a war of attrition between Americans, all Englishmen, ( some Ulster scots), fighting against redcoats, ( mostly, German hessians), for a German king who sat on the British throne.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
The war of Independence was a war of attrition between Americans, all Englishmen, ( some Ulster scots), fighting against redcoats, ( mostly, German hessians), for a German king who sat on the British throne.
Not really true.

1. Popular opinion in the colonies was split. No one knows the accurate breakdown, but it's generally thought about 1/3rd of Americans were Loyalists, 1/3rd neutral, and 1/3rd Patriots.

2. Second, while New England was almost entirely English, the South of course had a large black population. Most importantly, though, was the diversity in the Middle Colonies. Plenty of people in New York and New Jersey still spoke Dutch as a first language, and Pennsylvania may have been close to majority German speaking at this time. The Pennsylvania Germans were largely Patriots as well.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Interesting reply, but the colonies that took up arms were mostly of BRITSH descent, that includes most generals and even George Washington. Most of the population regarded themselves as Englishmen, Ulstermen, Scotsmen and Welsh and saw the crown as the oppressor. They even took most of the constitution from the Magna Carta.
I would even say that more African Americans fought in the war, either with the English/ Americans, or fighting for the British/German war-machine of King George ( German King- NOT English), more so, than a handful of Dutch, or Germans.
I would even say that America was mainly British Isles, Irish ( south and north) and African American ( see Glory), even up to/including the Civil War. All the generals and most regular troops I would say, had British Isles and African/ American blood. ( Abe Lincoln`s family came from East Anglia.)
The Germans , Italians, Southern Irish and Jews seemed to dominate America after that, in the new Industrialised country.
If you watch the documentary about the civil war you will see,( and I am a European) just how Britsh in blood and in place-names and Black American ( with the sheer horror of their situation) it is. Their just seems 2x America`s the old pre civil war and then the modern one, with perfect teeth, Hollywood, and the Housewives of Beveley Hills. Sad the old America has long gone really.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Sorry, apart from slavery of course.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
According to Wikipedia, 53% of white Americans are of colonial stock and 47% are descended from post-1790 immigrants, but there is no source is given and I'm not sure how they account for people with both, though my guess is they're counting anyone with a later immigrant ancestor in the latter category.

If 50% of white Americans are of colonial stock, it's impossible to believe there is more German than English ancestry.
There is no way the 53% refers to people of strictly colonial stock. That number most likely refers to anyone who has some degree of colonial heritage. And 47% of the population has zero colonial heritage.

And you have to remember too that a huge chunck of the colonial stock is African Americans.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:07 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
There is no way the 53% refers to people of strictly colonial stock. That number most likely refers to anyone who has some degree of colonial heritage. And 47% of the population has zero colonial heritage.

And you have to remember too that a huge chunck of the colonial stock is African Americans.
The 53 % only concern white americans and I don't think they all have strictly colonial blood but some have partial ancestry dating back to the colonial era.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
The 53 % only concern white americans and I don't think they all have strictly colonial blood but some have partial ancestry dating back to the colonial era.
Obviously, it isn't counting those who have strictly colonial stock. There are hardly any Americans that have strictly colonial stock. Even most white Americans who have it only have it through a few lines. My father for instance, like most white people from the northeast corridor, has none. My mother has colonial ancestry but she also has a lot of more recent input from Germany.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:49 PM

There are no Germans that have colonial stock. America, whether in movies, or language, will always be a British Isles/Irish, African, and yes , a Red Indian country. Most Germans, as with Jews, Italians, Czech`s arrived in 1865, after the War of independence and the Civil War, ( basically when all the turmoil and bloodshot was over) America`s image was set then, as a tough country of equal opportunity, In my eyes every immigrant after that is not a true American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.