Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
One of the major factors as to why the Midwest is ignored and why so many Midwesterners don't really care for it as a region is because there's nothing clustered together. There are so few really notable cities to start with, then spread that out over a region nearly half the size of the country. On the East Cost, you can get mountains, ocean and massive cities with diverse character within a few hours. Where I live, in mid-Michigan, it would take me a minimum of 5 hours just to get to one noteworthy city, Chicago. Probably another 4 or 5 beyond that to find another one. Nothing is close, and while cities like Kansas City might be nice, I have no particular reason to travel 15 hours to see it, you know?
Ridiculous. What about famed places like CA and CO? Where do you go once youre done with Denver? How about Phoenix? Albuquerque? If you think the Midwest is spaced out, you have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly. After you have seen Chicago and the Michigan Coast, what other point is there to seeing the midwest? Everything else will be a downgrade.

It's like going to California. You see LA, SD, the bay area. But do you really have a reason to see Sacramento, Fresno, Eureka, and such? These places are all okay in their own right(okay maybe not Fresno) , but not really worth going out of the way to see, besides once or twice in your life.
What? There is plenty to see outside of Chicago and the Michigan coast. I don't even have time to get into it right now. That is a terrible comparison btw. It's more like me saying why should I visit San Diego when I can just visit LA? or why should I visit Philly, Boston, Baltimore, ect when I can just visit NYC. Their all a bunch of dense cities with alot of row houses... I might as well just see NYC and say I seen them all. .

Quote:
I struggle to think of anything like this from the midwest save for Chicago deep dish pizza or cheese curds. I'm not saying by any means that the midwest is void just not very widely known. My mother in law (who lived in Columbus) broke it down for me like this: "There's just not a lot of seasoning"
Motown music, Techno music, house music, the automobile, the skyscraper, the middle class, subgeneres of blues, and I'm not even close to being done.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 PM

810 posts, read 667,522 times
Quote:
Motown music, Techno music, house music, the automobile, the skyscraper, the middle class, subgeneres of blues, and I'm not even close to being done.
talk to me about food

Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
talk to me about food
Omaha has great steaks, and Wisconsin has this...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5429225.html

Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
talk to me about food
Coney Dogs, Detroit Style Pizza, STL ribs, KC BBQ, Chicago style dog (since you already mentioned the pizza), Better Made chips, Faygo Pop, Frozen Custard, Milwaukee Beer, superman ice cream, the ice cream cone, polish boy, ect.

Some chains are Little Ceasers, McDonald's, Jet's Pizza, The Cheesecake Factory, Hungry Howie's, Domino's, Cincinnati Chili, Vernors, Wendy's, ect.

I know I'm leaving alot of stuff out but it scratches the surface.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 AM

810 posts, read 667,522 times
I'd like to check out Milwaukee and go back to Chicago

Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Coney Dogs, Detroit Style Pizza, STL ribs, KC BBQ, Chicago style dog (since you already mentioned the pizza), Better Made chips, Faygo Pop, Frozen Custard, Milwaukee Beer, superman ice cream, the ice cream cone, polish boy, ect.

Some chains are Little Ceasers, McDonald's, Jet's Pizza, The Cheesecake Factory, Hungry Howie's, Domino's, Cincinnati Chili, Vernors, Wendy's, ect.

I know I'm leaving alot of stuff out but it scratches the surface.
Other brands: General Mills/Kelloggs/Post/Budweiser/Miller/Yoplait/Kemps/Land 'o Lakes, and chains: Buffalo Wild Wings/Dairy Queen/Pizza Hut/Buca di Beppo/White Castle/TGI Fridays, etc.....In addition, a giant proportion of the grains, dairy and meat you eat is processed in the Midwest. It's not "sexy" but there's that.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Tourists should visit the Midwest because of Little Caesars, McDonalds and Hungry Howie's? I think this thread has reached the end of useful life...

Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 AM

638 posts, read 624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Tourists should visit the Midwest because of Little Caesars, McDonalds and Hungry Howie's? I think this thread has reached the end of useful life...
Welcome to the forum

Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Welcome to the forum
Moboy32, NOLA hates the Midwest. Someone asked for food info, people are providing it, and NOLA posting his usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.