Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 03:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Darker compared to who? They don't look like most Latin Americans or Latin American immigrants. I don't think gwillyfromphilly meant Spanish were fairer than Italians or Greeks, but not any darker. Actual Spanish people were posted on the previous page.
I think you summed it up quite well. Most Spaniards don't look drastically different from other Southern Europeans but most will usually stick out in Northern European countries. Of course you'll occasionally come across a Spaniard who has very dark features for "European standards" but I don't think these examples are the norm in the Spanish population.

http://img.rtve.es/imagenes/aguila-r...9548521180.jpg

http://static.ellahoy.es/625X0/www/e...img/bardem.jpg

http://worldcupgirls.net/girls-pics/...up-2010_11.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Being Hispanic or Latino is an ethnicity.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Darker compared to who? They don't look like most Latin Americans or Latin American immigrants. I don't think gwillyfromphilly meant Spanish were fairer than Italians or Greeks, but not any darker. Actual Spanish people were posted on the previous page.
Well it's harder to be darker than some Greeks and Italians. It's true they don't look like Latin Americans as a whole, who tend to be mestizo or mulatto. I don't think Spaniards resemble Latinos, I just think they don't have a stereotypically "White" look. The same applies to other South Europeans.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:30 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Honestly, I don't give a hoots anymore because it's been nothing but an exhausting process trying to identify a random latin person and what they identify themselves as. I always just go by nationality and call it a day.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well it's harder to be darker than some Greeks and Italians. It's true they don't look like Latin Americans as a whole, who tend to be mestizo or mulatto. I don't think Spaniards resemble Latinos, I just think they don't have a stereotypically "White" look. The same applies to other South Europeans.
umm, most of Latin America is darker, much darker than southern Europeans. Whether or not they don't have the stereotypical "White" look doesn't mean they are as dark complexioned as most Latin American. A person of white Spanish descent may get assumed to be of Italian descent rather than Hispanic — as I said a friend got a shocked "you're hispanic?!" reaction. Many Americans assume white of Italian descent look very different from hispanics.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
umm, most of Latin America is darker, much darker than southern Europeans. Whether or not they don't have the stereotypical "White" look doesn't mean they are as dark complexioned as most Latin American. A person of white Spanish descent may get assumed to be of Italian descent rather than Hispanic — as I said a friend got a shocked "you're hispanic?!" reaction. Many Americans assume white of Italian descent look very different from hispanics.
Oh boy. Where did I say that Latinos were lighter skinned than Greeks or Italians? I was speaking within a European context. In fact, where did I say that Spaniards look "typical" like Latin Americans? There is no typical Latin American "look" by the way. You know this. Depending on where you are, stereotypically it *can* be mestizo or mulatto, but if you're in Miami many of the Cubans DO look Mediterranean.

I don't believe Spaniards look mestizo or mulatto. Or that the latter groups are lighter skinned than Greeks or Italians. There isn't a hard and fast rule for pigment in mixed race people, anyway. Some can be very light, others not.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Honestly, I don't give a hoots anymore because it's been nothing but an exhausting process trying to identify a random latin person and what they identify themselves as. I always just go by nationality and call it a day.
Well that's easy to say if you don't normally interact with Hispanics on a day to day basis but if you do, it's good to be sensitive when it comes to that. Some Hispanics don't like to be mistaken for being for another ethnicity that they are not. For example, a lot of Puerto Ricans don't like to be mistaken for being Mexican.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Hispanic is just as much a race as White is a race.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Nope. Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. There are too many white hispanics to separate it as a race. Ethnicity and race are mutually independent of each other.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
It's really not. Even within the White race, there are more similarities between a Saudi Arabian and an Irishman than there are between a Mennonite Mexican and a Black Honduran with West African lineage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.