Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times

Advertisements

I disagree with #3. Blacks in South Florida are doing their own thing. Like the African American Blacks are Deep South to the core like in Georgia and SC. But like in the Northeast, there's a large West Indian descended(Especially Bahamian and Haitian) population and they cross influence each other (There's a large number of Blacks out there with Dreads compared to other regions in the US)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:33 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I disagree with #3. Blacks in South Florida are doing their own thing. Like the African American Blacks are Deep South to the core like in Georgia and SC. But like in the Northeast, there's a large West Indian descended(Especially Bahamian and Haitian) population and they cross influence each other (There's a large number of Blacks out there with Dreads compared to other regions in the US)
Yeah and no. South Florida wears them differently but dreads as a whole is pretty big in DC, Atlanta, and New Orleans.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The West- CA OR WA NV CO AZ Probably the most integrated of the substantial black populations out there. Many of these black people date inter-racially and have an accent where they say all the R's in word heavily. Kind of southern but different accent wise. They like chill music, party rap music and have a very laid back gangster style when they decide to get gangsta. The black youth out there seem to love living in shiny new subdivisions, smoking weed and getting 'ratchet'. Very likely to have Asian or Mexican friends. These states range from 3-8.5% black...being about 5% on average. Car Centric culture. Appears to be a really laid back lifestyle with not too much focus on advancement like in the tri State. Metro areas About 7% black on average. All black American. Fashion wise prefer tank tops cargo shorts graphic tees and brighter colors. WASHINGTON has a huge Basketball culture. huge.
I'm from the West and I'm Black. Only dated interracially twice, but prefer brothers. Ironically, I speak with an East Coast accent (due to family friends from Queens). I listen to a lot of old school funk/soul and a majority of East Coast rap (from back in the day, of course). I'm laid back, but I get gully when I need to. I dislike "ratchet" behavior. A majority of my friends are Black elders. I couldn't care less about cars; just get me from Point A to Point B. I don't care for bright colors on clothes. California has a huge basketball culture, too (excluding the dumb f**ks who rioted every time the Lakers won the NBA Finals).

Old 05-12-2016, 01:45 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
^ whats wrong with dreads ?
i'm sorry it sounds wrong to me for black people to refer to them that way.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ whats wrong with dreads ?
i'm sorry it sounds wrong to me for black people to refer to them that way.
We just shorten the word "dreadlocks." It's a dialect thing, I guess...

Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
We just shorten the word "dreadlocks." It's a dialect thing, I guess...
why not just normal locks. i dont see why they should be feared.

most white people say they just have curly locks (or gold locks, or blond/brown/black locks).

Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 17,443 times
I'm from the south but have lived all over. One thing I've noticed (being white) is blacks on the east coast and down south tend to be much less hostile towards whites and much more respectful to strangers than blacks in other regions, especially within there own neighborhoods. Also southern and East coast whites seem to notice black people less and southerners especially are not afraid of black people or black neighborhoods. Mid Western white folks as a group struck me as being afraid of black people.

Also southern blacks from what I have seen do not dress near as flashy or nice as east coast or especially Midwest blacks. Every time I go to the Midwest I am always struck by how flashy and nice looking they dress.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM

636 posts, read 611,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoulevard View Post
I'm from the south but have lived all over. One thing I've noticed (being white) is blacks on the east coast and down south tend to be much less hostile towards whites and much more respectful to strangers than blacks in other regions, especially within there own neighborhoods. Also southern and East coast whites seem to notice black people less and southerners especially are not afraid of black people or black neighborhoods. Mid Western white folks as a group struck me as being afraid of black people.

Also southern blacks from what I have seen do not dress near as flashy or nice as east coast or especially Midwest blacks. Every time I go to the Midwest I am always struck by how flashy and nice looking they dress.
Definitely something I picked up on when I lived in Chicago. I noted most white people wouldn't even take an empty seat on a packed rush hour train if a black guy was next to it, for example.

As far as hostility from black folks there, I never felt it. If I had to generalize (already doing it so might as well kim) I'd say the black folks were the nicest of the four big racial groups.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM

135 posts, read 93,786 times
The DeepSouth/The Gulf- AL MS. Poverty. The Delta and the blues. Blatant Racism. And hundreds of square miles of 60-70% black areas. That's all us northerners know. Not much fashion or music to be heard of.

Well according to black people from northern states, we are considered to be VERY COUNTRY. As far as poverty goes, not every black person down here are poor even though poverty rates from both states as a whole are the highest in the country as far as national average. Both states have black people living in middle class communities and how can anyone forget about the Civil Rights Movement. The Deep South is the most historical region in the country and Alabama & Mississippi are known for REAL soul food cuisine. We are taught better manners (yes ma'am or yes sir). We love college football on Saturday's and church services on Sunday's. HBCU's are popular as well and some black people still wear "grills".

Blatant racism? I believed no matter where you go in this country as a black person, there will be racism. Seems like it's more racism up north than it is down south though. LoL @ 60-70% black area, well I can say this, the delta and the cities and towns along and below Interstate 20 in Alabama & Mississippi are majority black towns.

Not much fashion or music? Haha, well here in Mississippi as far as urban music , have you heard of rapper name "Big K.R.I.T? He from the city I currently reside. He not very well known in the industry , but the brutha is lyrically gifted and everybody heard David Banner & Rich Boy (Alabama) music back in the day. Some of these southern musicians leave Mississippi & Alabama traveling/moving to Nashville or Atlanta because that's where the popular record labels are at. As far as fashion, I personally don't like the hipster look everybody doing like wearing skinny jeans and other expensive brand clothes that is popular.

I still keep it old school - Air Force Ones, Jordan's, not too baggy jeans, and fitted shirts.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:40 AM

135 posts, read 93,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The Birthplace of The Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta is the center of Black Culture in America today.
Montgomery, AL is the birthplace of The Civil Rights Movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.