Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many college towns in general as well. If I'm not mistaken, I think that Ithaca has the highest percentage of Black people 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree and up out of any metro in the US. I'll have to check that again to make sure though. In 2000, 32% of Black males and 43% of Black females that fit the criteria in that had at least a Bachelor's degree: Ithaca, NY - Profiles - diversitydata.org - data for diverse and equitable metropolitan areas (towards the bottom) You can search other areas, but keep in mind that it will be data from 2000 and as a frame of reference, 24% of Americans 25 and older had at least a Bachelor's degree at the time. It was 28.5% in 2010. I believe that it is around 31% currently, nationally.
Correction, while the metro may be 1% Black, I guess Boulder CO is the metro with the highest percentage of Blacks 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree(according to year 2000 numbers). 44% of Black males and 47% of Black females 25 and older in that area had at least a Bachelor's degree: Boulder, CO - Profiles - diversitydata.org - data for diverse and equitable metropolitan areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Doesn't everyone in boulder have a College Degree(Half-Joking)? In terms of prominence for Nigerian Americans this is where it seems most talk about in tier order.
Tier 1- No Particular Order
Dallas- Spread around sheer number in North Dallas suburbs but density in south Dallas and East Dallas. Fort Worth and their suburbs don't here much from them except if you count Arlington as a FW suburb.
Atlanta-The suburbs of Atlanta but not exactly sure which ones guessing the Northern Suburbs predominantly
Houston-SW Houston Including the suburbs and stretching from Katy(I live here) to Pearland of course this is only a good portion of the population as the rest is spread throughout the city. Sugar Land and adjacent towns and neighborhoods in FB county and Harris County
DC-Prince George County is what I here the most of.
New York- This one is here kind of because it is so huge, so Nigerians talk about it a lot iun terms of kn owing people who live there.
Tier 2.1-
I would place this on a slightly higher level than everyone else- Cities in North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham mostly.)
and Philadelphia- Proximity to New York as far as I know seems mostly to Be Northern New Jersey.
Tier 2.2- The others that I have heard.
Chicago- sheer size
Portions of (Southern) Louisiana- due to Oil Industry and proximity to Houston and Dallas. basically all Louisiana metro's along the I-ten corridor and Shreveport.
California- Sheer size thing I only know very little about Californian Nigerians most are around LA area.
Texas- Other cities in Texas.
Boston I have heard of a few.
Tier 3-
is Basically every large city in America not previously mentioned as Nigerians in america are spread out.
I don't have any stats but in terms of moving this Is what I got from listening.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
The Birthplace of The Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta is the center of Black Culture in America today. The problem with those two statements is that they tend to come out of the mouths of Black people who haven't the slightest idea that Atlanta was the center of 20th century Klan culture. The birthplace of the modern Klan, Atlanta is also the birthplace of The Columbians, the first Neo-Nazi orginization in America. The unjustifiable killings of Black people by White cops that have spotlighted recently have been going on for a longtime. Yet, the most murderous of all post World War 2 was Klansman/Atlanta Patrolman " Itchy Trigger Finger " Nash. The murderous terrorist crimes committed in any other city against Black people wouldv'e led to national notoriety for Nash then and now, but since they occurred in Atlanta, nobody knows who he is...strangely!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM

183 posts, read 249,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The Birthplace of The Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta is the center of Black Culture in America today. The problem with those two statements is that they tend to come out of the mouths of Black people who haven't the slightest idea that Atlanta was the center of 20th century Klan culture. The birthplace of the modern Klan, Atlanta is also the birthplace of The Columbians, the first Neo-Nazi orginization in America. The unjustifiable killings of Black people by White cops that have spotlighted recently have been going on for a longtime. Yet, the most murderous of all post World War 2 was Klansman/Atlanta Patrolman " Itchy Trigger Finger " Nash. The murderous terrorist crimes committed in any other city against Black people wouldv'e led to national notoriety for Nash then and now, but since they occurred in Atlanta, nobody knows who he is...strangely!!!
^ Man, you are all over the place with this post.

Not sure what "Black people" you're referring to, but this black person is well aware of the legacy of violence and systematic oppression of blacks in Georgia and throughtout the South. I'm also aware those same atrocious legacies helped to propel Atlanta into what's now regarded as a hub of the Civil Rights Movement and a preeminent city for black progressiveness (along with all other races, of course). The State of Georgia also planted the seeds for the movement by establishing HBCU's that helped to mold several great Civil Rights activists.

The National Center for Civil Rights in Atlanta has an exhibit named 'Without Sanctuary' which has thousands of archived photos of lynchings and other abuses commited against blacks. So, noone is turning a blind eye to what happened in the past. Most of us prefer to look forward though.

Last edited by Poncey; 06-05-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Doesn't everyone in boulder have a College Degree(Half-Joking)? In terms of prominence for Nigerian Americans this is where it seems most talk about in tier order.
Tier 1- No Particular Order
Dallas- Spread around sheer number in North Dallas suburbs but density in south Dallas and East Dallas. Fort Worth and their suburbs don't here much from them except if you count Arlington as a FW suburb.
Atlanta-The suburbs of Atlanta but not exactly sure which ones guessing the Northern Suburbs predominantly
Houston-SW Houston Including the suburbs and stretching from Katy(I live here) to Pearland of course this is only a good portion of the population as the rest is spread throughout the city. Sugar Land and adjacent towns and neighborhoods in FB county and Harris County
DC-Prince George County is what I here the most of.
New York- This one is here kind of because it is so huge, so Nigerians talk about it a lot iun terms of kn owing people who live there.
Tier 2.1-
I would place this on a slightly higher level than everyone else- Cities in North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham mostly.)
and Philadelphia- Proximity to New York as far as I know seems mostly to Be Northern New Jersey.
Tier 2.2- The others that I have heard.
Chicago- sheer size
Portions of (Southern) Louisiana- due to Oil Industry and proximity to Houston and Dallas. basically all Louisiana metro's along the I-ten corridor and Shreveport.
California- Sheer size thing I only know very little about Californian Nigerians most are around LA area.
Texas- Other cities in Texas.
Boston I have heard of a few.
Tier 3-
is Basically every large city in America not previously mentioned as Nigerians in america are spread out.
I don't have any stats but in terms of moving this Is what I got from listening.
I'm surprised that the Twin Cities weren't mentioned in this post.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that the Twin Cities weren't mentioned in this post.
For Nigerians?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For Nigerians?
Africans in general, including Nigerians. I don't think it is on the level as say Houston, Atlanta or DC, of course.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Africans in general, including Nigerians. I don't think it is on the level as say Houston, Atlanta or DC, of course.
I think he was specifically was only referring to Nigerians.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he was specifically was only referring to Nigerians.
I know, but I was just surprised that the Twin Cities weren't mentioned as an area that Nigerians migrated to. That's all.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:18 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I do have some friends in Minneapolis now that you mention it but it's only like 2 families. Their is probably a decently large Nigerian community but like spade said nowhere near Houston, Dallas, D.C, Atlanta and New York. But like I said since Nigeria has 250 different ethnic groups the Nigerian diaspora is spear across all of the U.S and Canada and even Mexico as Nigeria is really as ethnically diverse as it gets so a group of Nigerians from a certain ethnicity or group of ethnicities may clump together in one part of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.